[Stamps] UK stamps, prices, Royal Mail & Post Office matters

Does anyone know where I could get any of the COVID health workers stamps from? At the time I was nursing those with COVID (still am) and couldn’t look at them, now I feel sad that I didn’t buy any.
I would appreciate some help with this. I kept a nursing diary & memory box at the time and I would like to add a stamp/postcard.

9 Likes

There’s a few listings on eBay with them for sale, if you’re willing to spend a few £s. Someone on here might have some of the cards!

Unused, in the presentation pack:

First day cover:

“THANK YOU” postmarks cover:

Edit: here’s the postcards on eBay:

5 Likes

That’s very kind of you to look Jon, thank you. I ll check them out.

1 Like

Why are so many being hit with £5 fines for ‘counterfeit’ stamps? Why are so many people being hit with £5 fines for 'counterfeit' stamps? | This is Money

Now this is new. £5 charge if counterfit stamp used and apparently stamps that the Royal Mail sent as swaps for thw old style stamps are being flaged!

1 Like

I bet what happened here is that some RM machine scanned the barcode, noticed that it had been previously used, and then assumed that this was a counterfeit when in fact the fake was used first.

4 Likes

On a happier note … with the price of stamps going up yet again after this weekend, I just sent a card with my last set of £2.20. And I got a little package from Philatelink today so I can make up a load of sets of £2.50.

15 Likes

What a fab combo of stamps!

My Tesco clubcard vouchers came with a Easter themed stamp, which is neat.
But a little odd because it’s printed onto the paper & so is the cancellation (kinda unnecessary because it’s not a “real” stamp)… Also isn’t this an Alice in wonderland stamp from 2015? :thinking::thinking::sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Of the 7 tick boxes I’m guessing that scenario would come under re-used stamp. Where it has a space for the date the stamp was first used.

I assume the recipient has to pay??

That’s really annoying as I have quite a lot of stamps from the swap out scheme :pensive:

1 Like

Yep the recipient has to pay £5. I don’t know if you’d get to see it before deciding to pay the £5.

Last time i picked up post that had a charge (although it used to be much less) I think we had to pay before they went and found the item.

I don’t think it’s all the stamps they swapped but it definitely sounds like there is a glitch in the system and very little way to prove they are in the wrong.

3 Likes

With the Royal Mail prices rising on 2nd April and there being no postal collections on 31st March and 1st April due to the Sunday & Bank Holiday, I assume tomorrow is the last day I can actually post something (in a postbox) using the old rate? :thinking:

3 Likes

I’m working on that assumption, though I guess that if it’s in a box before the first collection on 2nd April, Royal Mail would be unlikely to fine the receiver as they couldn’t prove it hadn’t been posted in time.

2 Likes

I’ve heard there is usually a two to four week grace period of using the old rates.

1 Like

Hi Folks,

I was delighted this morning to receive my first Official Postcard from Mexico, Imagine my surprise to see that it had been through the process of customs, it was carefully stapled inside a single sheet of A4, form C22 declaration, the bottom bit was torn off so i don’t know if this was generated on arrival in the UK by HMRC or whether the sender had to generate the form at the time of Posting in Mexico, the form is printed in English ?!?. As the form is in English but the declaration is in Spanish, which is one of my languages I am curious. I am of course delighted that detailed and forensic examination at the Official opening of my Postcard by Customs anonymous revealed nothing more than the photographic portrayal of a beautiful waterfall and eternally grateful that this postcard passed all the checks with flying colours after spending 46 days on the way here possibly most of it in an in tray somewhere.
Its suitably and correctly described as “Papel” the Spanish for Paper…
I am considering applying for the Post of “Head of Customs Postcard Checking” and feel that even in senior years with good eyesight and based at home I should be able to handle that job if the pay is good. This card will be framed together with its declaration to ensure a conversation topic at future dinner parties.
Anyone else had an incoming Postcard subject to Customs examination ???

12 Likes

Hi there, I’m currently in Britain and have these leftover stamps. I’m wondering if these stamps are still valid. (I know I have to use two of them (or more?) for postcards to Germany. )

Thanks in advance! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Commemorative stamps such as these are still valid for use. With the price rise coming into effect from Tuesday 2 April, first class stamps such as these are worth £1.35 each.

3 Likes

From Tuesday, the rate to Germany will be £2.50 so two 1st stamps means you’ll overpay by 20p.

4 Likes

Thank you ! :heart:

1 Like

That looks like a Mexican document. Either the sender was poorly advised by their PO or erred on the side of caution as such documentation is not needed for personal correspondence such as postcards.

1 Like