Stamp Out War: Support Ukraine! (2022 Edition)

I will keep posting updates on various forums and on this project’s Facebook event page, but it seems that not everyone has access to these forum posts or like Facebook, so I made a dedicated webpage and hosted it on my personal website, which will serve as the official documentation everyone can refer to for this project.

Here is the QR code linking to this webpage if anyone needs to share it in a modern way:

3 Likes

The Canadian variety of Ukraine support maxicards have arrived. This variety features a pysanka, a Ukrainian-style Easter egg.

4 Likes

First week’s results are from

Canada, Japan (thanks to @omatsu), Germany, UK, and the Netherlands:

Canada, Japan (thanks to @-Makoto-) and Poland:

France:

Sweden and Latvia:

Taiwan, France, Finland (thanks to @tiitinen) and USA (thanks to @Dorinco):

I was a bit worried for my hand-drawn cover but the cancel turned out to be perfectly clear!

Do you think I should get the special FDC cancellation on this cover too? Or just the cancel of Myrnam (‘Peace to Us’), AB, suffices?

10 Likes

Wow they look so so so great! :sunflower: :blue_heart: :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

Such a fabulous project! Thank you for sharing about it as it progresses. I am so impressed and excited about your work.
Yes, try for a FDC. There are collectors.

3 Likes

Second week’s results are from

Japan and Romania:

Estonia, Germany (which contains cards made in Luxembourg and Austria) and Spain:

Luxembourg and Australia:

6 Likes

Week 3 has only one postcard

From Japan:

6 Likes

Result for week 4.

From Denmark:

4 Likes

Week 5 saw the most anticipated result being returned to me: from Ukraine! There are 2 varieties:

The Kyiv set:

And the Lviv set:

3 Likes

Moldova’s cards finally arrived in week 6. They had been returned to the sender once for mysterious reason, whence the delay. Moldova is one of the 11 countries who had issued a special stamp in support of Ukraine this year; I am happy that these cards arrive safely.

Starting Monday, I will be travelling overseas. My sister will help me getting my mails, but there will be no new update in the next 3 months until January 2023. On my return, all the cards should have been redirected to me. I will start scanning and cataloging them in preparation for the auction. Meanwhile, I will do a follow-up with various charity organisations whom I had previously contacted.

Here I wish everyone who has followed and supported this project a happy end of 2022. See you next year!

P.S. I am already thinking about doing something for the next 24 August, as the recovery will take a long time and Ukraine will be in need of funds in the foreseeable futur.

4 Likes

They are all so beautiful! I love your project! I’m happy to hear you are already thinking a new one :blue_heart: :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

Congratulations on your continued efforts, especially forward-thinking on behalf of Ukraine. May your travels be safe and enjoyable and I look forward to future updates on this beautiful and thoughtful project.

2 Likes

Very good initiative. Love them

2 Likes

What a lovely project @delda :blue_heart: :yellow_heart:

Unfortunately, I could not have participated on the August 24th, but I find it so cool to collect also the yellow flower stamps (or blue-yellow stamps of any nature) :blue_heart: :yellow_heart:

Switzerland :switzerland: has this lovely stamp I am planning to switch to using:

If you feel like extending the project in some way I would be happy to join! If adding this stamp to your collection makes sense to you I am more than happy to send it to you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lovely stamp of sunflower :sunflower::sunflower:

1 Like

Oh how lovely!

Indeed, what I have in mind is to organise a 2023 edition of the Ukraine maxicard creation (I don’t think this time I am going to hand-draw a new cover again) involving countries which didn’t end up participating last time. I would definitely love to add this Swiss stamp into this project!

I think I will start a new thread for the second edition to avoid confusion. So please stay tuned!

I have just returned home from my travel and will get back to this project in the coming days. So far I haven’t heard back from any organisation or anyone to whom I had written to seek for collaboration, but I will write up a new project proposal (actually two proposals, one for the auction, the other for the art project) and try again. If anyone should have experience in writing such thing for charity organisation, auction house, and/or art project funding agencies and would like to help me, please message me. I appreciate any form of help! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just to show up to say that this project is very much alive!

I designed a new website and people voted for getting this project a new name.

The name ‘Stamp Out War: Support Ukraine!’ was actually suggested by AI, as I was running out of ideas with words … Cleaver use of the word ‘stamp’ – itsn’t it?

The body of text has been rewritten by AI as well (with a few personal touches by me of course), because I am really not good at this kind of advertising writing.

For the moment I am hesitating to upgrade the site to a paid plan (I would hope that this amount can be donated to Ukraine relief funds). Let’s see how the free version performs. Thank you for sharing.

5 Likes

Update: I am preparing a few documents that will (hopefully) help the advertisement of Stamp Out War project. As stated on the project’s website, there will be

(1) Auction catalogue: of course, it will contain scans of every card that will be auctionned off.

(2) An online exhibition: aimed for stamp enthusiasts (so no definition of maxicard), it will contains scans of the complete set (30 cards).

(3) A presentation slide: aimed for the general public. I think my work on the slide is pretty much done, after adding explanation about postmark. I hope I don’t need to explain what a (postage) stamp and a postcard are to people who are old enough to read my text!

The slide’s beautiful visual is based on a theme that was made available by Slidesgo team; very generaous of them.

(4) An article that is the reworked version of my article submitted to Terry Watson, chief editor of The Quarterly Journal of the Maximum Card Study Unit, which hopefully will appear in the next issue. It’s adapted for a wider audience, the general public (aka non-collector). The layout has been designed (and I am quite satisfied with the result), only the text needs to be improved. I will keep working on it once I receive some feedbacks. If you are interested in reading the same story again about the genesis of Stamp Out War, I would gladly send you the latest draft in exchange of some comments. :slight_smile:

And if anyone is curious, the cover of all of these documents are based on 2 photographs of mine: The first shows moving clouds in the sky at sunrise; it was taken on the top of Mount Royal in Montreal. The second shows a field in rural Quebec; it was taken, also at sunrise, during my short ‘test bike trip’ around the province to test my camping gears. I was looking for a relevant visual in my harddrive to use, and I happened to stumble upon the second, as-yet unpublished / unprocessed photo that has a nice warm sunlight shade to it. I changed the sky and the image was born!

It will be used as the key visual theme for the 2022 edition.

(Just a passing thought: I can print some postcards based on this composite image to hand out to the Postcrossing community if the demand is ever present.)

4 Likes

This

plus this

equals to this

– mathematico-artist Linda’s equation :smiley:

P.S. The last image is what I thought could be used in printing Postcrossing-exclusive postcards, if anyone wants it.

4 Likes

I finished working on my article for the general public. It’s published on the project’s website and ready to be read!

4 Likes