[Stamp Collectors] What do you do with sticker stamps?

Hi,

I receive a lot of envelopes with sticker stamps, especially from the USA. All of the attempts to remove such stamps using warm water have failed and many stamps got ruined as a result.

So, now I just cut the paper around the stamps and keep the stamps in the album with paper at back. But, for some reason, it just doesn’t feel correct. I am thinking that I will send all such stamps to charity :slight_smile:

What about you? How do you handle sticker stamps?

3 Likes

you can soak them off with a little dawn dish soap and warm water or dab a little water on the back of the paper its adhesed to , and microwave for 15 secs so the adhesive lifts .

5 Likes

With self adhesive stamps, I spray rubbing alcohol. Cut the paper and spray the rubbing alcohol underneath, where the envelope paper is.
After a minute or less, you can easily peel them off with the gum sill intact. This is my favorite method.
Water works best for older stamps.

6 Likes

What do you mean by alcohol, what sort of spray do you use ?

I use rubbing alcohol, one that is used for cuts. Hand sanitizer might also work.
I re-used an old glasses cleaner spray but no need to spray, you can also put a little in a container or right on your finger and then spread it on the paper. I will send you some photos to show you!

7 Likes

@rhuqesmail Manish thank you for asking and @anon58952012 Angie thank you for sharing the tips… Waiting for the photos :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

36 Likes

@anon58952012 - Oooooh! Thanks for sharing this method! I’d given up and just kept the stamps on paper, but now I’m excited to try this!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing :slight_smile:
Don’t you have still some glue residue on the back of stamps?
Mine still have :frowning:

2 Likes

Yes, the glue would still be intact.
You can leave the alcohol on for longer- 5 minutes while soaked- and the glue should dissolve.

5 Likes

I will try :smiley: Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Nekotek ok, I have just done a little experiment and another way to get the glue off is by putting some alcohol or hand sanitizer on the back of the stamp where the glue is and manually scraping the glue with your fingernail, a bit messy but it works well!
(I like to use alcohol instead of water because it dries without leaving water damage!)

11 Likes

@anon58952012, your diligence and kindness here is commendable. Thanks for being awesome!

2 Likes

Oh, thanks!!
With great fellow Postcrossers, how can I not be kind!? :hugs: :love_letter:

7 Likes

I’ve been using a product called “Pure Citrus” to remove the American stickers (and some other countries like Russia, Italy and Finland). It works beautifully and although I have to scrape the glue off the back, it’s effective.

3 Likes

I used the method suggested by @anon58952012 and it worked great. I was able to remove 90% of the stamps without any trouble. Thanks for sharing.

11 Likes

You can use talcum power to overcome this issue

5 Likes

That’s what I did, hence you can see some white residue on my stamp photo above :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m a bit surprised that you should take the stamp of the postcard ! Then your card is ruined, to me it’s the whole card with text, stickers, stamps en washitape that I like!

3 Likes

These are stamps from envelopes, not cards.

4 Likes