Special and/or rare animal postcards

I’m very interested in nature and animals. Have you sent or received any cards from special and/or rare animals? I’m talking about lesser known animals hoping to see some I didn’t know about yet.

I’ll start with the tarsier, only to be found on various islands of Southeast Asia:

Never feed a tarsier after midnight! Hang on… that’s a gremlin. :wink:

9 Likes

I have lots of Pangolin postcards

2 Likes

I have once received this olm card through a forum swap:

15 Likes

I have received a Siberian flying squirrel, it’s so cute!

7 Likes

I’ve received once a maxicard with long-eared hedgehog (Long-eared hedgehog - Wikipedia) from Belarus, which is super cute
swap_ja_zniczka_Belarus (5)

12 Likes

Not sure what is for you a rare animal… some of I would say are not broad well-known

Tui from New Zealand

Hoazin

Madagaskar moon moth

I assume quite well know but rather rare

Tasmanian devil

Rhinoceros hornbill

Eurasian bittern (not 100% sure)

Bottom right - urson or north American porcupine

7 Likes

I did not know the Tui bird. :grin:

1 Like

That’s so cool! :hedgehog:

2 Likes

I have this one from Finland which I love

7 Likes

These are one of my favourite animals! I have quite a few of these in my Favourites (wish list).

1 Like

Think i replied to the wrong person :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

This is my flying squirrel

Yes I have this one too! :heart_eyes:
Cool to add stamps to the thread. :+1:

2 Likes

I think the only kind of rare animal I’ve sent was this red panda from a Portuguese zoo.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for responding so far. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Keep ‘em coming!

2 Likes

The mystery bird shown on card UA-964166 is a hoatzin, a unique leaf eating bird found in swamps in the Amazon. The chicks have claws on their wings, used to scramble around in the foliage.

4 Likes

Crowned newt. Maybe also not that well known

5 Likes

Shame, SHAME upon @Xute for neglecting to mention these incredible nudibranch cards that she gave to me, because she is wonderful and amazing:

Look at their feathery little butt decorations! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

15 Likes

These are incredible indeed! Thanks for sharing. :snail: ( :arrow_left: its boring cousin :grin:)

1 Like

Thanks for the nudis! I was waiting for them to show up in this thread, I only received their cousins

1 Like

have found some more rare animal in my sent this time

(Matter Pillenwälzer - were not able to find a English translation of his name. - Sisyphus schaefferi)

raccoon dog - not sure if they are special or rare, but at least cute :smiley:

or whats about a Kind eider?

or this little guy? Namib web-footed gecko

4 Likes