So why are you on Postcrossing?

Hello @Lyudmila_Chernik,

Please write in English .

English is the official language of the forum, and this language should be used throughout the forum — except on the Language and Geographical communities, and on the Meetups sections.

https://community.postcrossing.com/faq

Kind regards,
Jette Lise, moderator

postcrossing is magic for me :slight_smile: getting a real postcard from the other side of the world or sending it to someone in another country is so interesting!

5 Likes

Definitely all about the connection for me. I enjoy seeing what message strangers send to me about their lives. Even more than that, I love when I draw an address, read the profile, then get to find a card and write something that I hope will make them happy. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To communicate with people from all over the world! In fact I’m much more active in the forum than in exchanging postcards.
I had pen palls for about 20 years and i miss that.

1 Like

:roll_eyes: Why am I here? Because is too early to leave. I started just a month ago… :grinning:

3 Likes

2012-2014 I had a profile on Postcrossing. I heard about it and loved the idea receiving and sending postcards. As I always had pen-pals al over the world :earth_americas: it was just something a little bit more different to snail mail. However, one day my life got busy and I found myself way to much into stress attending all kind of different swaps and trying to get cards i really like. I realized that i got sidetracked from the meaning of everything. So I stopped, thinking I will never come back, I’have deleted my profile. Sad but true…Now I realized that I miss the joy and stillness which come to my life choosing a postcard for someone, writing and sending. So…here I’m again :smiley: So many years later my thinking switched a lot. Now I would only attend to 2-3 swaps not overweight myself anymore…I want to take the time, to write a “real me” postcard, with as much as text as possible :slight_smile: So the person can really enjoy the card and not only read “happy Postcrossing” :slight_smile:

As things did changed a lot here, I feel like a Newbie by the way and this is a great and funny experience :slight_smile:

(not saying it is something bad to do that, it’s only the way I’ve chosen for myself)

5 Likes

I enjoy giving gifts, sending people a card they will hopefully like gives me joy

I like sharing a little piece of a strangers life, a connection

And I like learning about foreign places, people, customs, etc

I enjoy collecting

So… I’m in it for all possible reasons :grin:

4 Likes

I am new to this. What is considered a view card, ad card? If anyone can post examples that will help me alot.

To me a view card is a card that shows touristic sports, areas, buildings etc. So anything touristic.

An adcard is an advertising card. One that you get for free and that advertises a product, a service or maybe a movie

1 Like

Hi! I’m new too but as far as I understand it a view card is a card with a picture of a town or heritage site or some such. The “classic” postcard. Still not sure what an ad card is though.

I honestly don’t remember how I got into it. It was in the middle of high school for me, probably looking up things to do.
Most people who know find it interesting, and i’ve been approached after for them to ask me how they get into it! It’s nice to think they were thinking about this hobby even if their offtime.

Hi, I believe an ad card is an advertisement post card for a business. Usually given away for free at the business. Like they used to have in motels when you travel. Restaurants have them, etc. Ways to publicize your business. Usually thinner card stock too. I think some are interesting.

I got into PC when I’d just “retired” from my paying job to work at home/farm, and a friend who knew how much I love traveling thought this might appeal to me. And it does! I love to feel that actually the world is much smaller than people think, and that people are people all over the world. Especially during this past year, it has been nice to make brief connections with others going through the same thing. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! :slight_smile:

well, instead of the basics like me liking cards and stamps stuff, i can easly distract myself from my real life. if i get too bored or too overwhelmed, i becomes a problem for me. with this forum sometimes my biggest concern is not my family being AH towards me or why i am bullied every school i transfer. my biggest concern becomes collecting cute cards. thats it aha. adios.

1 Like

I originally joined Postcrossing kind of on a whim, but then something started to happen. When I was having a bad day or even just a boring day that seemed to be the day when an especially pretty or meaningful postcard would arrive, and I guess I hope that somewhere my postcards are doing the same for someone else – maybe to brighten their day a bit.

I do love learning about the places and people depicted on the cards too and getting a little glimpse into someone’s life is nice too. Plenty of places in the world I will never visit and PC has given me a look at some of them.

4 Likes

I started postcrossing last March. I was looking for a way to distract myself from the pandemic and to fill up the extra time I had at home. Postcrossing met that criteria, but over the year has become about so much more than that!

My mailbox is now a source of delight instead of tedium. I enjoy the beautiful postcards and the chance to view a slice of someone else’s life, however briefly.

I feel more connected to other countries. After getting a postcard I tend to look up that area of the world. I’ve learned many interesting tidbits.

I love how everyone has a slightly different approach to postcrossing. Some people are collectors, some super into the stamps,others just looking for connection. Some accounts are for children, school groups and even a dog!

I only discovered the forum recently and that has opened up another fun part of postcrossing! I’m really glad to have stumbled across Postcrossing!

4 Likes

I’m here, because a good friend told me about it. I really liked the idea about getting a lot of different cards from around the world. Currently, I’m decorating the wall next to my desk with it. It always makes me happy when I look at it, especially now since I’m stuck at home a lot.
It also bring me joy to send cards around the world and put a smile on people’s faces. :smile:

3 Likes

I don’t remember why I joined, probably some combination between me doing a lot of mail-related things at that time (mail art exchanges, swap-bot, etc) and thinking I would never travel outside of the US, so this was a way to touch other places somehow.

Funny how life works out - I traveled outside the US a year and a half after joining here, and since then I’ve lived in 3 other countries. I still see it as a way to reach out to other places though.

I joined because I wanted to send more mail (in between writing letters to my penpals). And I am staying on because Postcrossing has become a source of joy for me.