Show us the card(s) in your collection that you want to keep for yourself

By SV1XV. Vintage postcard Beach 83 by Hilo Chen, collection Louis K. Meisel, New York, published in Amsterdam in 1981. Own collection.

I recently bought two copies of this vintage artistic nude postcard by Hilo Chen (:netherlands: Amsterdam, 1981). One copy will go for postcrossing, the other stays in my collection.

2 Likes

By SV1XV. Interesting postcard showing the Naval Flag Semaphore alphabet. Printed/published in the USA in 2006 by Quantity Postcards, Oakland, CA, most likely a reproduction of a much older postcard.…

Last one from four postcards bought online, showing the naval flag semaphore alphabet, the rest went to friends with a naval background.

2 Likes

I found some maxi cards with special cancellation.
Keeping them because they remind me of my short vacation to Spa - Francorchamps.

2 Likes

If you have a record player, it will be interesting to hear what the hidden sound message of this special postcard is!
What a secret! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

These botanic gardens postcards depicting orchids and their meanings from Singapore.

2 Likes

I’m saving this one for myself for now. I love how silly it is :slight_smile: It’s from Etsy (Cuddles and Rage)

20 Likes

These are presents from my grandmother, from long ago, drawn by a local artist.
I just rediscovered them few month’ ago - and still love them:

6 Likes

Oh my goodness, I have way too many cards that I’ve bought specifically for myself. (!) To be fair, I’ve been doing this for decades, long before I ever joined Postcrossing. But since I’ve joined my new obsession is Japanese Gotochi cards, so every time I go to a different prefecture I buy all the Gotochi cards they have (7 max, if they are all in stock, which is rare). I buy three of each design - one for myself, and the other 2 for PC exchanges and lotteries. For some of the cards, it’s possible to get a scenic stamp cancellation that matches the card - so I’ll try to do that with as many as I can.

3 Likes

I collect antique and vintage postcards.
It’s less than a single file, but it’s important.
My favorite is Debussy. This is eerie, and my mother says “severed head”.

3 Likes

Love this one I never thought I’d get one then a kind postcrosser penpal sent me it!! Definitely my favourite postcard so far !

8 Likes

Bought these cards while on holiday in Luxembourg for my private collection (also bought some extras to send with Postcrossing of course :wink:). Top right is 3D.

3 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one who keeps postcards for themselves. As a newbie, I’ve been scouring flea markets for postcards. Here are a few I’ve found that I’m keeping for myself.

This beautiful embroidered postcard from Spain.

This older postcard of a Morris Katz painting. I just love it.

An older postcard of NYC before the twin towers fell.

And this vintage postcard of Britain’s Prince Edward before he became king and abdicated the throne.

8 Likes

I used to have one of those embroidered postcards when I was a child, I bought it when I was on holiday in Spain. I had completely forgotten about it until I saw your post :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: x

1 Like

Have you played them?!?

The first one!!! HUGE Fan of Pan Am!!!

1 Like

definitely the always-gorgeous tausendschon ones!!!

Yu Garden, Shanghai

3 Likes

Oh, such a pretty card! Love how colorful it is! :heart_eyes: I don’t think I have any colorful view cards of Moscow… Maybe there are some I haven’t bought yet but they would be my treasure too!

I love multiviews but must admit I have none of them from Moscow… My view cards look like this:

Maybe I was in a gloomy mood myself when I ordered them, cause they’re all about fog, clouds etc. :laughing: Still, a few days ago I looked through my view cards and realized they’re gorgeous… Definitely want to keep some for myself, even though I can visit these places on the weekend!

5 Likes

Exactly :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Man, take your pick!

Sometimes, I buy cards at events or from artists I like, that way they’re like small art prints. Sometimes, they come as freebies from book and comic stores. I received a couple of these when I volunteered at a local pride event back in, let me think, 2017?

Some of them are important to me, others I don’t deem interesting enough to send. Say, Chewbacca isn’t a part of Ukrainian culture, why would I send a card with Chewbacca on it from Ukraine? I’d rather send a print of a funny frame from the Soviet animated adaptation of Treasure Island.

(note to self: check if I can buy one ready-made)

The ones I would never send are humorous postcards I bought at an exhibition dedicated to Sergei Parajanov and his film adaptation of The Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors (it is one of my favourite films of all time), the postcards I got from the Pride event, and some I bought from an indie artist as prints, especially considering I can’t get them anymore, as the artist is Russian.

I probably wouldn’t send the postcard with a reproduction of a painting by Mariia Pryimachenko that I got at an exhibition of her art and a postcard with a picture of the Peresopnytske Gospel, not because I don’t like to share, but because I don’t have any more with the same picture, and they’re keepsakes. If you asked me very nicely, maybe I would mail them, though?

2 Likes