🗺️ Show us postcards from REMOTE places! 🗺️

Over the years, I managed to collect postcards from many countries and territories… And, after plotting everything onto a map, I noticed how remote some of them truly are! Well, it’s difficult to define what “remote” means, so I guess any loose, subjective approach to the concept of “remoteness” would be happily accepted in this thread!

Here are my remotest postcards:

(1) Orkney Islands, United Kingdom

(click on the image to enlarge)

GB-1260561, a truly rare postcard I received from the Orkney Islands. They are located so far up north! 22 thousand people live up there – it’s super cold during winter and you can even see the northern lights. I guess you’d feel extremely close to nature from a place like that – beautiful jagged rocks, rough sea and strong winds.

The postcard was sent from Kirkwall: with its 9,000+ inhabitants, it is the largest settlement on the island. Look below for a truly “Nordic” (I know it isn’t technically Nordic) view from the Orkney Islands!

(2) Norilsk, Russia

(click on the image to enlarge)

Another beautiful postcard! Look at the map – Norilsk is truly remote! And well within the Arctic Circle. It is the northernmost city with more than 100,000 inhabitants – a true “polar” metropolis, so to speak. The polar night here lasts from November 30th to January 13th. Temperatures can dip down lower than -40 degrees (Fahrenheit or Celsius… it’s the same – freakin’ cold!) and snowfall has been recorded even in July!

Norilsk is basically like an island, as it is not connected to surrounding cities (the road goes as far as Dudinka, a smaller settlement close to the city, and that’s all). That’s why people living in Norilsk refer to the rest of Russia as “the continent”, or “the mainland”. Truly an isolated and remote place!

Buildings in Norilsk have big numbers on the walls – this is extremely useful during harsh winters, as they can be seen from far away.

Furthermore, these apartment blocks stand on stilts – you’ll notice that they never actually touch the ground below! That’s because the whole city is built on permafrost (permanently frozen ground – even during summer): if the buildings stood directly on it, they’d end up melting it!

And here’s a picture of Norilsk during winter, just for reference!

(3) Pyongyang, North Korea / (4) Ashgabat, Turkmenistan
Ok, these ones aren’t really that remote… They’re just rare! I’ll show them to you some other day.

And, now, please show me your remotest cards! :world_map::round_pushpin:

35 Likes

Last year I got FO-942 from the Faroe Islands, out in the North Atlantic.

But my remotest card is definitely TJ-212 from Tajikistan!

24 Likes

We once got an envelope (with a postcard inside) sent from Dumont D’Urville Antarctic station! :heart_eyes:

46 Likes

Mine are from Russia, Canada and surprisingly Japan!

It’s always interesting to see after the country, that where it’s located! I actually didn’t know Japan had another island so far south before this card. I don’t know if it’s considered a remote place, but it’s not the main islands!

9 Likes

I would say Svalbard is my most remote area.

15 Likes

Guys, what do you think about creating a map with our remotest postcards? I can curate it if you want. Let me know what you think of this!

@Steve_Francis Wow, FO-942 is super impressive! I’m just imagining how cold those places must be. The Tajik one is truly mind-blowing… but maybe it is just rare? (212, my goodness, that’s a low number!) It’s from the capital Dushanbe, so it might not be super remote. Still, defining “remote” is very subjective, so this is a good entry too!

Oh wow! That’s such a gem! I can tell that it is French (or, at least, that it has to do with France) simply by looking at that postmark. For some reason, many French territories and former colonies of France have this postmark design. France itself, on the other hand, has already switched to machine cancellation.

What are the Russian and Canadian cities?
The Japanese postcard comes from the Okinawa Prefecture. It’s far from the mainland and it is made of few small islands – see the map below.

(Okinawa is the red part! almost invisible!)

Despite its rather small size, the prefecture has close to 1,5 million inhabitants!

Omg I would love to visit Svalbard! I always notice how far up it is on maps. And living in Svalbard must really be something else…

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right, Dushanbe isn’t really a “remote” place. I guess that in a world where international travel is so much easier than it used to be (at least it was, pre-Covid), there aren’t many places that still seem far away and mysterious, and for me Tajikistan seems impossibly distant.

2 Likes

I get what you mean! I think some places are still super difficult to get to, like Tristan da Cunha. You’d need to fly to Cape Town first, and then board a ship that’ll take you to the archipelago in 6 days. Ships with this particular itinerary only depart once a month! So for those living on Tristan da Cunha, the arrival of a ship is regarded as a special event.

But yeah, Dushanbe can also be seen as remote! I’ve always thought of post-Soviet Central Asia as being particularly fascinating.
By the way, that’s a super rare postcard! And the Faroe Islands one too. I can’t believe you managed to receive these gems… Will I be able to get something like that by the time I hit 380+ sent/received postcards? I hope so!!

3 Likes

Oh wow, that Tajikistan postcard is incredible. That looks like a location from Game of Thrones. Very cool!

1 Like

Here are scans of some of my postcards sent from remote places. Peter I Island, Vostok - Antarctica, Barneo-North Pole, Niuafo’ou, Penrhyn and Redonda.

11 Likes

Wow! These postcards are really wonderful! Thanks for showing the postmarks as well!
How did you get all these rare cards from truly remote places?

1 Like

About 20 years ago many expeditions to Antarctica offered to mail covers and cards but that ended. I have traveled a lot myself and have friends who travel to remote places and send cards. I visited Chad last month and early March I will visit South Sudan.

2 Likes

Sorry for the super late reply!

Wow! You went to Antarctica! Did you like it?! I read somewhere that it actually stinks there because of all the penguins. It blew my mind because I thought that Antarctica would be a sterile and pretty much odourless place.

What about cards from Chad and South Sudan? I’m very curious haha :Р But I’m sure you haven’t received them yet (it probably takes super long to receive something from there).

No, I have never been to Antarctica. Those were expeditions who advertised in a web page named Polar Philately or similar. The cards I sent from Chad arrived in Europe after only two weeks, so that was surprisingly fast. I am leaving for South Sudan March 5th. Send me a message/PM with your address and I will mail you a card.

1 Like

This is my current postcard from the most remote place I’ve received. It’s from Terceira, in the Atlantic Ocean!
Very fascinating, for me! :blush:

10 Likes

Oh sorry! I read “many expeditions” as “my expeditions”… Silly me!
Also that’s extremely kind of you – what an unexpected gift! :smiley:

And it’s an official postcard as well! Such a rare gem! What was the ID? A Portuguese one?

1 Like

Yes, from Portugal! And it’s the only one I’ve received from that country at the moment! :blush:

1 Like

Hi there, I’m kinda new on Postcrossing but today I realize that my collection is slowly growing.
I was wondering which ones are your most rare cards on your collections. I know that “rare places” will be very different depending on where you live, but I refer to small or remote countries. Mines, for example, are from Greenland and Guernsey. If you can share a photo of them will be awesome too!

This is my card from Greenland, it was a Direct Swap via Instagram :greenland:

And this is my card from Guernsey, it was a Postcrossing official. Thanks to @Aircraft :guernsey:

Share yours! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I have received a few. Some officials, some swaps / lotteries etc

My rarest must be these two:

From Antarctica (sent from Port Lockroy):

From North Korea:

Some more cards from places I consider rare:

Africa

Egypt:

grafik

Madagascar:

grafik

Senegal:

Tunisia:

Asia

Brunei:

Nepal:

grafik

Europe

Andorra:

Faroe Islands:

grafik

Guernsey:

Monaco:

grafik

Montenegro:

grafik

South America

Costa Rica:

grafik

Trinidad and Tobago:

17 Likes

How did you get a card from North Korea :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :scream: :scream:

8 Likes