[RR] šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø US to US Surprise Me -Themeless Fun From Hawaii to Maine - We Want YOU! (Part 1)

Received another Open House card - this time from my ā€˜neighborā€™ @Blue_Fox! Where on earth were you able to find a University Circle postcard??? I have one vintage one I bought at the Cle Flea years ago, but thatā€™s all Iā€™ve ever been able to find! The Art Museum and Wage Lagoon are two of my favorite places in the city as well - I actually worked at the art museumā€™s library when I was in college, and took classes in the museum itself! I generally visit the museum at least once a month, but obviously this year has been an exceptionā€¦ I did sneak in one visit back in September for my birthday, though!

Just for fun, some old pics of my dog on an early morning walk at Wade Lagoon a few years ago:

1 Like

Open House received from:

@Yelena - a lovely field of poppies in Provence, France and a cute teddy bear stamp. I saw a field of poppies just like this when I was in Frayssinet, France in 2018. Glad you enjoyed your time in Monterey. I really miss travelling! Hoping to make it to Scotland in 2021 - had to postpone it from this year.

@Blue_Fox - Monsieur Boileau at the Cafe by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec - love the brushstrokes of the impressionists! Good to ā€˜seeā€™ you again. Iā€™ve had some health issues this year so have been taking it easy. All is well now. Happy Thanksgiving!

@carolreader - the readerā€™s path of books and great stamps including Tennessee Williams. I have a stack of books waiting for me. I started The Looking Glass War by John LeCarre but I havenā€™t picked it up in a month so Iā€™ll probably have to begin again. Just as well - I didnā€™t get far into it. Feeling good and out of the woods. Looking forward to 2021.

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

@emilyann from group# 1162 sends a pretty water color style card with Hello on it. Thank you and hello to you :slight_smile:

Shesa-Renegade with a new batch of wonderful happy mail to report!!

Group 1159 (all cards received)
@jocrafts sent an interesting insulin wallpaper pattern. I am hoping they come out with a vaccine quickly, too. I really miss being in class with my students. I have even thought of braving a face-to-face class, but I simply cannot take the chance.

@TravelingKatie sent a fun postcard from Salem, Massachusetts. I went to the Salem Witch Museum several years ago when I lived in Connecticut for a year - isnā€™t it an interesting town?

@AccentOnHakes sent a great postcard from Wind River, Wyoming. I spent 6-weeks in Shell, Wyoming for my geology field courseā€¦population 50. I will definitely check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium webcam!

Open House
@Yelena sent a beautiful card from Monterey. I really want to go out west this next summer and spend some time in this area. Happy belated anniversary! Love the stickers on your card, too.

@Shesa-Renegade I am watching the webcam right now while typing notes! Haha! The MBA rescues orphaned sea otter pups and they are usually fostered by aquarium sea otters off exhibit. This year, since there are no visitors in the aquarium, they are being fostered in exhibit and can be seen on webcam!

Speaking of vaccines, I am very curious what the timeline is going to be. It looks like there may be an approval for essential workers in the next few months and then to the general public probably some time next year? I really want a vaccine so we can go back to a more normal life, but I do have some concerns about how quickly everything is being pushed throughā€¦

May I join another small group?

Updates:

Group 1103

• @dariasmith What a gorgeous row of homes in South Battery Charleston, South Carolina! I have heard so many wonderful things of the beauty of Charleston. I have yet to visit, but itā€™s on my to-visit list! I will have to look out for you on Southern Living! I love that magazine. I hope youā€™ve been enjoying your new job. It sounds like a blast. :rocket:

Group 1153 I have received all!

• @meritahti what a beautiful seashore scene. It is definitely bold colors! Thank you for all of your hosting duties! Itā€™s so great to have wonderful moderators (looking at @MichelleW and many others who probably donā€™t need more spam in their email inboxes than they already do!) Thank you thank you!

Group 1154 I have received all!

• @KeithA I have never heard of the Masterpiece the game, so cool! The temperature is so finicky here. It was a nice day today.

Group 1159

• @TravelingKatie what an absolutely cool edged Salem postcard! The vintage feel is adorable. Does it get super windy in Chicago often to the point that the building creaks? The first time I experienced Chicago wind, I was very surprised at how windy it can really get!
  • @Shesa-Renegade Another Little Rock Nine postcard! :slight_smile: I love the mini-series that sometimes pop up in postcarding. It always feels extra special. I had a pair of saddle shoes as a child, and I did not appreciate it nearly enough.
  • @kyvintage I hope none of you have COVID, but it will be nice to spend time with the family. I am sorry to hear about your loss, though. We are doing nothing interesting for Thanksgiving. We have plans to set up our Christmas tree and thatā€™s about it. The hubbie has work on Friday, so we arenā€™t even taking a quick getaway hiking trip, unfortunately. I will be nice to relax on our new couch, though! :smiley:

Open House Group!

• @Yelena a mother rabbit embroidering! I have gotten back into my cross-stitching kick lately. I know the feeling of having lots of cards to catch up with! Iā€™ve been postcarding much, so Iā€™ve been behind on my regular cards! :woman_shrugging:t4:
  • @treeclimber A PC of the Great Smoky Mountainsā€¦ with glitter and sparkle! Iā€™m glad you were able to get out a bit!
  • @kyvintage I love love this moon chart! Itā€™s so fascinating to see all in one like this. Beautiful washi tape, too!
  • @coleandjojo fun facts about blue whales. I knew they were huge, but just imagining 3 buses is huge. Happy belated birthday!!! I suppose I have a few more years of doing research, then :stuck_out_tongue: I hope your birthday went well & you had fun celebrating a big one!
  • @gabi_m what a wonderful wonderful wonderful painting by Jess x snow. I really really love this. Itā€™s so powerful. The sentiment is relevant, regardless of the time of year! Iā€™m reading Stacey Abramsā€™ book Our Time is Now, and she emphasizes how important the view of marginalized voices are towards illuminating the future.

Thank you all for a big smile at the end of the week :smiley:

1158 from @serifluous. Such an interesting history of the fortune cookie I was glad to read it thank you.

1159 from @TravelingKatie wow a really cool card from Salem Massachusetts Halloween themes of course. Iā€™m glad you had a good time on your trip.

1160 is ready for tomorrowā€™s mail.

1 Like

Group 1160 (Double Eagle) is on its way!

1160 is in the mail!

1121: @dariasmith, thanks for the puppy in a bike basket! Congrats on your jobs and freelance work!

1162: @emilyann, thanks for the pretty passionfruit card! Hooray for your new job! Let me know how itā€™s going. :smiley:

1 Like

Group 1160
All cards in the mail today!

Thanks @Ukucaitie for the golf card. Thank you for sorting through your entire stash to find it. Also, I like the washi tape.

1160 are ready for the mail on Monday! :writing_hand: :mailbox: :peace_symbol:

@Blue_Fox sends a HUGE Michigan Water Wonderland postcard! I love this one so much and thank you so much for sending it :slight_smile: Thank you for welcoming me into the group and I already am having so much fun here :smiley:

Cards for #1161 went out today. Thanks!

@dariasmith SC has been on my list of places to visit for quite a while now. Iā€™d love to do a little tour of the south and see Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans. I think Iā€™d want to go to New Orleans on Halloween and do some of the creepy tours there.

@LilyPostKort I love walking through the woods in the fall. We have a ton of nearby parks and forests to walk through here too!

@meritahti Savannah looks so gorgeous! I was just saying in my top mention on this comment that I want to visit Savannah some day. Iā€™d love to see the old architecture there.

@kyvintage itā€™s funny how our idea of racy has changed over the years. It used to be racy just to show your ankles!
@Shesa-Renegade I was just telling my husband we should pick up and move to Alaska for a quieter life. I just finished reading a few fiction books based in Alaska and it made me curious about visiting there. Iā€™d love to drive there and stop at a few places along the way!
@AccentOnHakes Iā€™m a huge football fan but only follow the Green Bay Packers, since I grew up in WI. I try to watch all of their games. I donā€™t really pay attention to other teams unless they just happen to be on TV and thereā€™s nothing else to do. We usually watch football every Sunday and on Thanksgiving.

1121 all received now, @dariasmith sent a black and white photo of the Great Palace of Peterhof. I think I have watched all the true crime shows on Netflix too! I have been binging podcasts as wellā€¦

Hi, Iā€™d like to join the next group of 5 thatā€™s available. I might have participated here in the past, but Iā€™m not sure. Please let me know if I need to send you my address :love_letter:

Open House

@carolreader Thank you for the neat M.C. Escher card! Say hi to your birds for me.