[RR] North American September 2022 Round Robin - The Labouring Over Postcards Edition - Closed!

A few more cards to report:

#21 @Beachyblonde Whitney, thanks for the beautiful mailbox postcard. I love anything mailbox related :mailbox_with_mail: (today I found the cutest Christmas ornament :hugs:).

#27 @beatriceh Charisse, I absolutely LOVED the Postcrossing life postcard. Thank you! I have been reading a book called ā€œThe Nakano Thriftshopā€ by Hiromi Kawakami. Itā€™s very slow paced so Iā€™m struggling to get through it but I ainā€™t no quitter so Iā€™m going to force myself to finish it even if it takes me a year to read it :crazy_face:
I hope you get to relax on your upcoming time off.

#29 @melvnoble Mel, Thank you for the vintage postcard of your hometown. I love vintage postcards, they donā€™t make them like they used to!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip Rocky, I love the colorful mailboxes. Sadly, you still have to use the number and not the color as your guide because you can get a color blind mail person :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

26 received: #12, 13, 14, 15, 18

12 @Yarn-Lady - omg i would die for an icecream machine; not that i actually have room in my freezer to store more icecream lol if i had one i would definitely make icecream as often as i could consume it haha :ice_cream: locally-bought will have to do for now!

13 @ladybug513 - hilarious postcard - i admit that i have had many moments in my life when i could relate haha love the egg-tra special egg sticker as well :fried_egg: i hope you enjoyed your evening out and the new restaurant!

14 @dnrhott - i would love to go back to az, the last time i was there was in 2015! this year, i was able to cross off oregon on my to-visit list but i would love to visit washington (didnt have time while i was in portland or) and colorado as well! :national_park:

15 @ad7yn - shoutout to your husband haha gis is so fun to play with i wish i was better with it! i do watch kdramas, although school has taken a bite of my downtime to watch them. the last one i watched was crash landing on you; it was so sweet and i cried through the entirety of the last episode lol :sob: i was trained as an architect but through my job developed an interest in transportation engineering/planning so i am hoping to build off that with this masters program!

18 @LaurenceB - haha i laughed audibly at this~ my beauty route is quite minimal i dont think you could even call it a routine?? šŸ«£ pre-covid it was definitely a little more comprehensive but since i work remotely now a few days a week, even the effort into my work wardrobe has suffered haha.

1 Like

I love crash landing!!! I love all the food scenes. Remember when he made her noodles from scratch. Heart meltsā€¦

1 Like

@Cruzin, thats from One Piece!!! Aaahhh @CrimsonKing, if you have more One Piece cards would love to trade!

1 Like

Iā€™ve updated the initial post based on the overnight posts. I will do one final update before opening October this evening.

#6 reporting

#29 @melvnoble sent a nice painting of downtown Pittsburgh. Love that city!

No, there is no zip line. But youā€™re right, it would be fun!

1 Like

Next batch rec:
#6 @mikeyz1 LP showing illustrated swans in a pond near a home. Thank you! Thanks for reminding me! We also need to have our wood stove serviced so weā€™re ready for winter, too! Thanks for sharing your cozy!

#10 @emotis Bull Moose in Autumn! Thank you! I didnā€™t drive at night when we were up in Maine this June. It was just a day trip. Iā€™ll have to visit again, as I loved Maine, and stay longer. We do get a lot of Elk and deer hanging out on the roadways here, so I can understand feeling anxious.

#18 @LaurenceB a Thinking of You card showing an elephant. Thank you! Iā€™ve dabbled a little bit in genealogy, but my mother is the one who really loves to do it. Sheā€™s found connections to Barack Obama and Charlemagne!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip CT card showing gorgeous flower fields and hot air balloons! Thank you! As a matter of fact, we were pleasantly surprised when we woke up at the hotel in Middletown, NY, to see two hot air balloons right outside our window! No balloons in CT, though. We did enjoy our time in CT. Fell in love with a dedicated gluten free bakery in Avon that had the BEST cinnamon rolls - even better than gluten-containing ones. We made many day trips out of CT, so didnā€™t spend a whole lot of time in the state, except to sleep. We did enjoy the Weir Farm NHP. Gorgeous grounds. What a lovely place to live and create art!

To Receive: 20, 21, 24, 27, 29

1 Like

#29 - Sounds like September was a busy month for many of us!! I have received almost all of my postcards by now. Apologies for not updating in smaller batches like I usually do, but here we go!

For Craig:
To Receive: 20, 21, 24

#1 @cawindt - Thank you Craig for ā€œThe Golden Coach,ā€ state coach of the (Dutch?) Royal Family. I do enjoy vintage postcards, and it is fun to get non-British royalty. I was listening to the Now & Then podcast today talking about American feelings about British monarchs, and one of the hosts mentioned our apathy toward other royal families. I admit I donā€™t know much about other royals, but it still is a great fascination how opulent they can be. Prime example: The Golden Coach on this postcard!!!

#2 @CrimsonKing - Thank you Lesly for this postcard of the Rainbow Pride Flag! Iā€™m excited to expand my collection of LGBTQ+ and Pride-inspired postcards. Iā€™m also ready for Autumn! It is still very much summer weather here, so Iā€™m not quite feeling it yet!

#3 @Cruzin - Thank you Lori for a great postcard to add to my LGBTQ+ and Pride Collection! Two in a row eh? :rainbow_flag: I think these postcards inspired by Royal Mail stamps are pretty cool too. I think Iā€™ve said before, why doesnā€™t the USPS do this??? I feel like so many of us would be all over that!

#4 @jenhart - Thank you Jennifer for this postcard of Bartlett Hall in San Francisco, California! It is such an interesting view without the bridge and hustle and bustle of modern San Francisco. I like these old postcards though so we can see how big cities used to look!

#5 @SusanneA - Thank you Susanne for this postcard of ā€œTreesā€ a poem by Joyce Kilmer. The photos of the trees are really nice too! I enjoy vintage postcards. Sundays are usually resting days. Sometimes my partner and I have events weā€™ll venture out for, but now that summer is ending, weā€™ll have fewer of those!

#6 @mikeyz1 - Thank you Mike for this postcard of Fort Meigs in Perrysburg, Ohio. I enjoy going to historic places like this, and itā€™s a treat when there are reenactors! I am a reenactor in my local historical society, but itā€™s on a much smaller scale than this Iā€™m sure. So very neat to relive history in this way!

#7 @mere5oh - Thank you Meredith for this postcard explaining how to stay safe at the pool/beach! I still appreciate these COVID cards. Locally, we seem to be having a bit of an uptick in cases, so itā€™s still good to remember to be safe in all areas. I hope you have recovered from bronchitis!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade - Thank you RenĆ© for this postcard of an ADORABLE dog holding a big leaf in his mouth! He looks so proud of it! :heart_eyes: Thank you for sharing some of your favorite things with me. Honestly, itā€™s such a good practice to just take a moment and think about those things. Like a gratitude log! I also love purple, dogs, autumn, outer space, freedom, rain, and books!

#9 @akap25 - Thank you Arcelia for this postcard of Butter Beer! I went to an event for Harry Potterā€™s birthday and they had a butter beer on tap. It was okay, but not my favorite kind of beverage! Thank you for the condolences for my dog. She was such a big part of my life and I still think of her fondly every day! Love all the tea and dog walking in your day! I am too lazy in the early am to get anything productive done! :laughing:

#10 @emotis - Thank you Erin for this postcard of Lowell National Historical Park in Lowell, Massachusetts! Very fitting postcard for Labor Day as it turns out. Thanks for the info! I really like the washi tape you used! Similar to what Iā€™ve got for this season with woodland creatures and leaves and acorns!

#11 @alcott1 - Thank you Mary Ellen for this postcard of what I think is a sheep crossing a natural rock bridge over a creek. You are so right that it is a peaceful scene. The grassy land seems to go on forever. So beautiful!! I imagine that boulder was placed there, but it is so natural to the rest of the scene!

#12 @Yarn-Lady - Thank you Cynthia for this postcard of a short-eared owl! Gosh, owls can be so adorable! I know they also can be predatory, but I can look from afar or at photos! I honestly prefer that! :laughing: Weā€™ve had some little birds, maybe pigeons but I donā€™t know for sure, hanging out at our porch and driveway recently. They just scoot away when we walk by. Nice to share the space with them!

#13 @ladybug513 - Thank you Susan for this Lou Paper postcard of Pennsylvania! I donā€™t believe I have this yet, and itā€™s so neat to see what icons represent this new state of mine! I see Pittsburgh listed with a baseball bat and baseball. Probably for Roberto Clemente. Lots of highlights from early America and of course Hershey! Thank you!

#14 @dnrhott - Thank you Delia for this postcard of The Great Oatman Bed Races from Oatman, Arizona! This looks like a wild, hilarious, but exhilarating time! I enjoy going to these types of random small-town events, so Iā€™d love to see this someday!

#15 @ad7yn - Thank you Adlyn for this postcard ā€œYe Boston Baked Beansā€ made in 1886! I love older works of art and this bit of Americana is fascinating. I did not know baked beans were considered a luxury, but Iā€™m not surprised! Seems like the rich find something they deem exotic and once it hits the mainstream, itā€™s not cool anymore. Talk about hipsters! :laughing:

#16 @jacieslar - Thank you JoAnne for this postcard of Whirligig Park in Wilson, North Carolina. This looks FASCINATING! I adore this type of thing, so I would love to go here. There are so many places on my ā€œto travelā€ list that Iā€™ve discovered because of Postcrossing. How will I ever see them all!?

#17 @Hazygirl - Thank you JoAnn for this postcard of a hedgehog! Iā€™m close enough that I think I live in the greater Pittsburgh area, plus Pittsburgh is a place most folks have heard of. Itā€™s been fun for me to explore the area. Iā€™ve lived here for a little over a year and thereā€™s so much to see!

#18 @LaurenceB - Thank you for ā€œCheeky Chippyā€ the squirrel! This is such a cute piece of art! I have the same washi tape you used! Wow, you really got a good deal for all those postcards! I hardly ever find postcards like that around here. Some vintage shops have old postcards, but theyā€™re almost always $1 each or maybe 2 for $1. Never such a good deal as a shoebox for $5!

#19 @ellistrations - Thank you Barbara for this postcard of an owl! I am so happy to add to my owl collection! The good thing about being into owls is that they are common enough to be on many a postcard for many a reason. I shall collect them all muahahaha. My new PokĆ©mon! :laughing: Thatā€™s so cool you have your PokĆ©mon cards still! Thanks for the pug sticker! And all the PokĆ©mon stickers!

#22 @uconn - Thank you James for this postcard of the Milky Way galaxy. We are but a speck in a bigger universe! I rewatched Stranger Things in preparation for the new episodes. My partner didnā€™t like this season as much, but I enjoyed it! Hope you enjoyed the agricultural fairs!

#23 @suatelier - Thank you Charlotte for this postcard of The Great Wheel in Montreal, Canada! Lantern Press does some fantastic postcards. I really like this one! I am terrified of heights and would never go on a Ferris wheel, but they are lovely to look at. They make a good focal point in photos and art too!

#25 @sleepyhippo1 - Thank you Marcella for this postcard called Rainbow Dogs! I love the little pug in there next to the hot pink poodle! :laughing: Thatā€™s funny your cat was trying to lick the postcard. Maybe to put his scent on the dogs to show them whoā€™s boss!

#26 @sarahaeyo - Thank you Sarah L for this postcard of a person holding a sign that says ā€œYou canā€™t erase LGBTQā€! Love it! Iā€™ve been trying to be more forward about being bisexual because it is assumed since Iā€™m with a man that Iā€™m straight. Fight the bi-erasure! :rainbow_flag: Good luck with starting a temperature blanket. I am not sure whatā€™s worse in the fiber world between temperature blankets, sleeve island, or second sock syndrome! :laughing:

#27 @beatriceh - Thank you Charisse for this postcard of an Ohio Dock Scene! I am so happy to get postcards from Ohio and PA (as Iā€™m sure thatā€™s why you sent this!) so I love this! My dad used to go out on the lake and fish a lot, but I didnā€™t like the fishing part. I enjoy being on the boat and just relaxing on the water.

#28 @TwoDoggies - Thank you Terri for this postcard of butterflies in a rainbow gradient! So pretty! I hope you have/had a nice time at Ocean City!! I am not a big fan of oceans or beaches personally, but I understand the appeal. Anything to relax and find joy is worthwhile!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - Thank you Rocky for this postcard of a Moon behind the clouds as well as a nice message from the Buddha. I am curious to see manā€™s return to the moon. I donā€™t think I could ever participate in space travel if it ever gets to that point in my lifetime. I agree, it will be interesting to see though!

Phew! Thank you again to everyone for your wonderful postcards! Iā€™m going to have to upload the postcard images later, so Iā€™ll post again once I get them over on Flickr. This has been a wild and busy month!

9 Likes

#15 reporting

#6 @mikeyz1 thanks for an awesome postcard and stamps! Highly recommend Poems to Live By collated by Chris Riddell. Illustrator of Neil Gaiman books. His includes the Minister for Exams poem, and old favorite.

And my ultimate favorite poem - If by Rudyard Kipling. Hereā€™s a video of Sir Michael Caine reading it. I imagine him as Alfred the butler reading to a young Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Thank you also for awesome choice of stamps.
Trumbull was clearly a savant. American painter, diplomat and architect. All three professions I have always wanted to achieve. Maybe another lifeā€¦ I love how he finally pursued art after he achieved so many other things. In 1789, at the pinnacle of his career, Trumbull turned down an offer to come to Paris to serve as Franklinā€™s personal secretary so as to continue painting in the name of ā€œprofessional and patriotic obligation.ā€ In a letter to Franklin, Trumbull wrote: ā€œThe greatest motive I had or have for engaging in, or for continuing my pursuit of painting, has been the wish of commemorating the great events of our countryā€™s revolution. I am fully sensible that the profession, as it is generally practiced, is frivolous, little useful to society, and unworthy of a man who has talents for more serious pursuits. But, to preserve and diffuse the memory of the noblest series of actions which have ever presented themselves in history of man; to give to the present and the future sons of oppression and misfortune, such glorious lessons of their rights, and of the spirit with which they should assert and support them, and even to transmit to their descendants, the personal resemblance of those who have been the great actors in those illustrious scenes, were objects which gave a dignity to the profession, peculiar to my situation.ā€

I also love the World Peace through Law stamp!
I love how the stamp uses the olive brance as a symbol of peace! There is a historical meaning to the olive branch being a symbol of peace. War brought destruction and frequently food production such as olive groves were destroyed. Olive trees are slow growing trees. You do not grow these trees in tumultuous environments. Think economicsā€¦ olives and olive oil bring prosperity to the nation but it can only happen during peace time. The olive branch was offered to an enemy to show that you wished them prosperity instead of further devastation. And apart from Noah and the flood, this can also be seen as a symbol of the Holy Spirit offering peace.

Thank you!

26 received: #6, 21, 27, 29

6 @mikeyz1 - what a wonderful cozy interior view of a flwā€™s fallingwater! it looks like the perfect place to curl up with a book and a cup of hot coffee :coffee: amazing collection of stamps as always

21 @Beachyblonde - subpar parks! this series is hilarious :national_park: i could see this on a yelp review; i once had a tour guide tell me that she got a bad review because she didnā€™t control the weather when it happened to be raining that day (in the pacific northwest where it rains lol)! luckily, i am really into hot springs lol (great edward r murrow stamp as well!)

27 @beatriceh - a citrusy orange card from itā€™s cool; the photography and art direction of this box is always fantastic! i think october/november is my favourite month because i just really enjoy fall/sweater weather; :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: only down side is that these months tend to fly by for me

29 @melvnoble - wonderful ron donoughe painting; looking at local art is my favourite! i love the softness and glow that the moon casts on all of the built elements :art:

1 Like

#23 reporting

#10 @emotis thank you for the PHQ card! Yes, itā€™ll definitely be weird when King Charles will start to replace QEII on the back of all our coins!

#12 @Yarn-Lady thank you for the Oregon map card! Thereā€™s so much to see on this card! Iā€™m excited to sit down and analyze it when I have time.

#24 @roxy thank you for the vintage radio card! Wow its so cool you were once a DJ!

#29ā€“Melvnobleā€“The Butter Institute of America in Youngstown, Ohioā€“That must be a very interesting museum to visit!

@jacieslar

#6 @mikeyz1 Thanks for the postcard from BGSU. Many of my high school friends (and my mom) were members of the campus community there. I miss the the energy of a college campus!

#20 @Triol What a wonderful multi-view card from Nova Scotia. Thank you! Iā€™m glad you got to enjoy your vacation, but so sorry you had to deal with being sick. Stay well!

#21 @Beachyblonde Thank you for the postcard from Big Bend National Park. Iā€™ll bet the night skies there are incredible! Itā€™s about a 5 hour drive from Ruidoso, so weā€™ll have to check it out sometime.

#29 @melvnoble Thank you for the Ohio Hall of Fame postcard. Iā€™ve never attended a postcard fair, but I would love to go to one sometime.

#2 reporting

#8 @Shesa-Renegade sent a Highland Cow of Scotland, thank you RenĆ©! Iā€™m jealous of your sonā€™s vacation, I want to visit Scotland also, haha! Today is so ā€˜summerā€™ at 95*F, ugh! Iā€™m ready for 60s & 70s and the colors that come along with autumn. :fallen_leaf: Love the washi tape of the dogs and bones, too cute. :blush:

#24 @roxy sent a glass and chromed metal radio, how cool! Iā€™ve never seen a glass radio before, thank you Brenda! Hehe, did you like your DJ gig on the radio, do you miss doing it? Your washi tape is sparkly with sweets, yum. :yum:

Thank you ladies! :nerd_face:

1 Like

#22 uconn

#21 @Beachyblonde a subpar park card, love it

#27 @beatriceh reporting

#5 @SusanneA Thank you for the recipe! Iā€™ll have to try it out.

#6 @mikeyz1 I wish I could be so prepared with my weekly meals. Thanks for the bean card!

#7 @mere5oh oh, if ideas equaled moneyā€¦thanks for the lovely kitchen card

#11 @alcott1 how interesting! Iā€™m going to make a German chocolate cake this weekend for my birthday. This is very similar. Thanks for the recipe!

#17 @Hazygirl My college roommate lives on Long Island! Thanks for the literary card!

#21 @Beachyblonde Thank you for the kind birthday wishes and lovely card!

#22 @uconn I love this card! Canā€™t go wrong with a stake through the heartā€¦right?

#25 @sleepyhippo1 Marshmallows are pretty popular in the Midwest! Love this card. Thanks!

#28 @TwoDoggies Thank you for the lovely birthday card! I donā€™t like unresolved stories either. I totally understand.

#29 @melvnoble Agreed! I love fall and sweaters! And this card is awesome! Thanks.

1 Like

#13 with more postcards from:

#7 @mere5oh ā€“ Thank you for the great postal themed postcard! How wonderful your exchange students can enjoy a balloon festival while they are here and how great that you will be able to share your expertise with them. They are very lucky!

#12 @Yarn-Lady ā€“ Thank you for the coffee grinder! I love the smell of fresh ground coffee although I limit myself to one cup in the morning. My husband retired before I did. He used to read all my postcards before I did! He still does sometimes when he beats me to the mailbox!

#18 @LaurenceB ā€“ Thank you very, very much for the Pinocchio and Snoopy cards you generously sent for my granddaughters. They are so excited to add new postcards to their albums. Thanks also for the Oahu card with the great stickers!

#20 @Triol ā€“ Thank you so much for the card from my Favorites ā€“ The Atlantic Canadian Provinces! Iā€™m sure you had a wonderful time in Nova Scotia. A trip there is on my to do list. Iā€™m glad youā€™ve recovered from your bout of Covid. Stay well!

#21 @Beachyblonde ā€“ Thank you for Haleakala National Park, Hawaii! I totally agree with you. I, too, do not understand how anyone can see the sheer beauty of places and then shrug their shoulders saying ā€œI just didnā€™t get it.ā€ Really, they should just stay home!

#23 @suatelier ā€“ Thank you for the lovely Lantern Press of QuĆ©bec Canada, a city we thoroughly enjoyed visiting more than once! We recently drove 4Ā½ hours practically to the end of Long Island for a cousinā€™s 50th wedding anniversary party. What we wonā€™t do for family!

#27 @beatriceh ā€“ Thank you for the beautiful lighthouse card you sent. I like it very much. I am enjoying the fall like weather weā€™ve had for the past few days. Autumn is my favorite time of year. Pumpkins and free candy! Iā€™m sorry you are having a difficult time returning to the office. Covid has certainly proven that a lot of jobs need not require your presence in a physical office. I never liked my job much either and am glad Iā€™m now retired. Hang in there!

#29 @melvnoble ā€“ Thank you for the Cleveland post card show card. Iā€™ll be driving up to Parsippany, NJ on Saturday to attend a show there. Iā€™ve been going for a number of years now and try to find cards that fit our groupā€™s likes. Iā€™m hopeful!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip ā€“ Thank you for the Samurai card! Fan and all! Pretty sure itā€™s a fan. Iā€™m going to a meet-up in Bordentown NJ on the 8th. Itā€™s only a half hour drive. I did see the one scheduled in Beacon, NY, but feel itā€™s a little far. October is a very busy month for us. Weā€™re painting our bedroom and I need some downtime!

1 Like

October is open!

1 Like

#24 reporting on so many fantastic cards received while I was away:

#2 @CrimsonKing sent a unique addition to my smoking collection - an illustrated Wanted poster for Sir Crocodile. Heā€™s smoking a big cigar.

#3 @cruzin sent a great PHQ card of Queen Elizabethā€™s 80sth birthday. I still canā€™t believe sheā€™s gone.

#5 @SusanneA sent a North Carolina map collage card. I must get back to North Carolina some day and explore it more.

#6 @mikeyz1 sent a panoramic card from the Best Western Thunderbird Lodge in Eureka, CA. Another gem for my motel/hotel collection!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade sent an awesome VW camper van illustration. A new one for my collection! Glad you took some time to relax on the weekend! We all need to do more of that!

#10 @emotis sent a card from the Grand Hotel Riva in Italy. What a stunning view, and yes, very Mad Men!

#11 @alcott1 sent a fun Trailway Motel card. Located just east of St. Louis, Ill. I love their sign!

#12 @Yarn-Lady sent a great MCM street scene illustration. I just love anything MCM!

#13 @ladybug513 sent a Fontainebleau Motor Hotel (New Orleans) card. That pool looks massive and it is just one of three!

#15 @ad7yn sent a card featuring the beautiful gate of Graceland!

#17 @hazygirl sent a stunning autumn scene. Iā€™m ready for it! Our weather has finally turned cooler and Iā€™m about it.

#18 @laurenceb sent a vintage card from the Ramada Inn in Tucson, AZ and their very colourful lobby. Your no wif-fi sticker cracked me up!

#19 @ellistrations sent a great one for my smoking collection - the Emilio Largo character from Thunderball smoking a cigar.

#25 @sleepyhippo1 sent me a fantastic new Elvis card for my collection! Thank you for saving your Elvis cards for me! :slight_smile:

#26 @sarahaeyo sent a Minot, North Dakota Holiday Inn card. We just stayed at a Holiday Inn last week - nothing like this vintage one haha!

#28 @TwoDoggies sent an awesome Elvis card for my collection! Oversized b/w of him playing guitar.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sent a card from the classic Kapok Tree Inn in Clearwater, FL showcasing their lounge - a delightful place to meet friends. Or so says the card. I think itā€™s more a delightful place to practice your wrecking ball skills.

6 Likes