[RR] North American September 2022 Round Robin - The Labouring Over Postcards Edition - Closed!

So sorry, Craig. I forgot. I will remember in the future!

GASP - $1300!!!

Postcrossing has notified me that this is not a full sentence and wouldn’t post it - LOL

That sounds good too!

@jacieslar reports:

#1 @cawindt Thank you for the postcard of the Pentagon. As a Vietnam Era veteran, I am always interested in all things military. It’s a really unique building with an equally unique history.

#2 @CrimsonKing What a cute alien card! Thanks. Roswell is about 90 miles from Ruidoso. I’m not sure about the whole alien thing, but it gives New Mexico one more odd thing to be known for.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade What a great card showing Elizabeth Blackwell, physician and activist. Thank you! I’m glad your academic semester has started off well.

#11 @alcott1 Thank you for the postcard from Starved Rock State Park. It looks beautiful! The CCC really had a major impact on the preservation of our Natural Resources.

#12 @Yarn-Lady The aerial view of Depoe Bay, Oregon makes me want to be there. The harbor looks incredible, and I can see how getting a boat in/out would be a challenge. Thank you!

#14 @dnrhott Thanks for the interesting mushroom card. I did some research to learn more about it and learned some new things. Loved the strawberry ink and stickers.

#18 @LaurenceB Thank you so much for the beautiful tropical-themed camping card. I love it - of course. Take advantage of every minute with the little ones because time really does fly!

#22 @uconn Great map card of Connecticut. I love getting these cards because I always learn something new. Thanks!

#28 @TwoDoggies Thank you for the great crochet card. As the weather cools, I will get back to some projects that need to be finished. Glad you had a relaxing time at the beach. I haven’t had jury duty for a long time, but I guess I’m due to get a notice.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip Thank you for the postcard showing the bridge and walkway at Eagle Point at the Grand Canyon. Don’t know if I’d be able to stand there, but what an incredible view!

3 Likes

1 @cawindt - Marine Corps War Memorial - We were there once when the fife and drum corps was practicing for a ceremony - It was so fun to watch our little private concert! I agree about the history of it!
2 @CrimsonKing - Red Poppies - truly my favorite flowers!
3 @Cruzin - Cats in black in white - this is very charming mom cleaning kitten!
4 @jenhart - Door county is one of those places I want to see - the goats on the roof restaurant was my first intro!!!
5 @SusanneA - a medical humor card and factoids on smiling
6 @mikeyz1 - Marquette Harbor Lighthouse - I like the house and light in the same building - makes so much sense!
8 @Shesa-Renegade - The hundred fountains of Tivoli - so pretty! Fall veggies are a gamble here - we usually get hard freezes and hot days - the plants say, forget this!
9 @akap25 -Edward Hopper - Lighthouse at Two Lights - I do love this painting!
11 @alcott1 - Cape Cod Windmill - so pretty - I get mesmerized watching them!
13 @ladybug513 - the Paris Carousel - I’ve always wanted to ride on a double decker one - they are rare!
14 @dnrhott - Hot Air balloons - so creative - one went over us this morning - it was 39 degrees on the ground - I thought BRRRR
15 @ad7yn - woodblock of a Chinese Dragon - it’s at the univ art gallery - I must stop in and see it!
16 @jacieslar - Kilauea Lighthouse – it’s a beauty!
17 @hazygirl - Duckies - always thrilled to get a Duckies card!
18 @LaurenceB - Mailboxes! Oh, you are probably back to work - hope the little one is doing well with the change! (mom, too)
19 @ellistrations - Camel train against the sunrise/set - dramatic!
22 @uconn - Georgetown Loop Railroad - another train ride I need to take!!!
23 @suatelier - Great Wheel at sunset in Canada - oooooo!!!
25 @sleepyhippo1 - Yarn Bombing - what a fun one too! Yes, it does add up quickly!!!
26 @sarahaeyo - California State Capitol - I haven’t been in this one since I was a little girl - need to go back.
28 @TwoDoggies - Three Gorges in China - the geology there is so interesting!
30 - @RockyRoadTrip - Chinatown - Dragon Dance! I have great memories as a kid at these - now, yes, they are overwhelming. We have a museum that does a much lower key version, which I prefer now.
Thank you all for the great cards!

6 Likes

#19 received

#21 @Beachyblonde - thank you! A ladder! Everything seems to be so crazy anymore, until you can really get into a routine. Hope things are finally settling for you!

#22 uconn

#6 @mikeyz1 cool Bernini sculpture, good luck with this semester! Great old stamps

#15 @ad7yn funny card. I can’t say I’ve commemorated a trip with toilet humor, but I’m sure I’d buy this card if I saw it on my travels

Believe it or not, we have a vintage double decker carousel in one of our local malls!

1 Like

#6 @mikeyz1 a sunset vintage card in Fl thank you.

#6 reporting
#1 @cawindt sent a great Rotterdam church card!

#2 @CrimsonKing sent a great Paul Signac card! That is a gorgeous painting!!!

#3 @Cruzin sent Stanislaus County Courthouse. Crazy there are still some counties left!!!

#4 @jenhart sent a fun glliterty NYC card with Lady Liberty on it!

#5 @SusanneA sent a fun dirigible card!!!

#7 @mere5oh sent a great painting card of the Taos artist Victor Higgins. Love it!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade sent a great Statue of Liberty card! Yikes, they keep threatening us to move buildings. I’ve been in my office for 25 years.

#9 @akap25 sent a great Picasso card! Love the work!!!

#10 @emotis sent a great Engels book card! I love it! What would your coworkers say?!? :slight_smile:

#11 @alcott1 sent an awesome piece of art, abstract and bright!

#12 @Yarn-Lady sent a great seascape painting! Awesome!

#14 @dnrhott sent a passenger ferry card!

#15 @ad7yn sent a great painting from France. Amazing for an unknown painter! Love the note as well!

#16 @jacieslar sent a National Cathedral card! Yes, crazy time of the year for football lovers here in NW Ohio.
#17 @Hazygirl sent a great Statue of Liberty card! I love seeing these views!

#19 @ellistrations sent a starry Statue of Liberty card! Wow Tausendschoen. Thank you!!!

#22 @uconn sent a great Grant County Courthouse card from WI

#25 @sleepyhippo1 sent potatoes!!! One of our favorite foods!

#26 @sarahaeyo sent a great Statue of Liberty card! Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!!!

#27 @beatriceh sent a great card about climate change (so darn true!). I hope the interview went well!

#28 @TwoDoggies Wow! You sent a card from BGSU, the university I’ve taught at for 25 years. And that building, The Admin Building, just got torn down over the summer. I spent many, many hours in that building in meetings. Lots of memories. But glad it’s torn down to open space up for the campus.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sent an awesome Buddhist card, of a monk taking a photograph of a Buddha statue. A Buddha taking a photo of a Buddha!

8 Likes

#21 BeachyBlonde

I have sent all of my cards as of yesterday!

I also have a stack of cards that I will update hopefully tonight!

#22 uconn

#7 @mere5oh thanks for this New Mexico stamp. That’s one state I’ve never visited

#20 @Triol looks like a fun trip, minus illness! I wouldn’t know what to do with a sculpin

#27 @beatriceh funny egg card, I love it. We took my nieces to Beyond Van Gogh this weekend, a lot of fun.

#29 @melvnoble cool cemetery card, where Benjamin Franklin is buried

2 Likes

@jacieslar

#9 @akap25 Thank you for the vintage cable car postcard. I’m currently reading a couple of nonfiction books but will return to my “beach reads” soon.

#13 @ladybug513 Thanks for the view card showing the “Mustangs of Las Colinas”. I think a lot of us end up spending our 3 day weekends working around the house and yard!

#15 @ad7yn Thank you for the great watercolor card of the Man and Tiger. What a unique card, and I see something different every time I look at it. I lived in a mining camp in southern Peru in the mid-1990’s. It was very remote, but we met some wonderful people there.

#23 @suatelier Thanks for the Montreal Keep Calm card. What a nice view of the city. My last trip by train was from Denver to Chicago with my husband. I hope you had a great time at the party!

#25 @sleepyhippo1 Thank you for the cute dog postcard from the Box Set. I love my three little guys! They are great stress relievers and give unconditional love.

#26 @sarahaeyo I love the simplicity of this lovely floral card. Thank you! I’ve already started wearing sweaters (I’m cold 24/7) here in the mountains. I loved taking Masters level classes. Enjoy!

#27 @beatriceh Thanks for the cherry pie recipe card. I’m going to have to try the recipe, but I’ll have to use frozen cherries. I read that Michigan produces over 70% of the tart cherries grown in the US. Wow! We often get sweet cherries here, and I like to eat them as a snack.

2 Likes

Three more wonderful cards arrived in today’s mail. Thank you to:

#7 @mere5oh for the cool Jetoy card. You’re right - I don’t see many people asking for them anymore. I’ve never collected them, per se, but I do love cat cards :slight_smile:

#27 @beatriceh for the adorable autumnal cat card. I hope you’re enjoying your vacation!

#29 @melvnoble for the great vintage card of Stambaugh Auditorium in Youngstown. It’s cool that it’s still standing.

Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

Updated!

That is really awesome!

1 Like

I will be opening October’s Round Robin tomorrow evening. I want to remind everyone who plans on participating to be sure to update their sent and received cards for this month. According to the rules, you may not join a new month if you haven’t reported any received cards for the previous month.

I spent most of my day watching the Queen’s services online… while writing postcards, of course. Now, on my break from TV, it’s time to post today’s thank yous.

Thanks to:
#15 @ad7yn nice Yellowstone card. And nope… never been to Asia. Japan is on our short list,
#21 @Beachyblonde Vacay for Days Mickey cards. Cute one! I haven’t seen this one before. I love going to WDW during their Halloween parties… they always have rare characters out and about.
#27 @beatriceh Starbucks coffee with the saying… “I don’t know what I would do without coffee… I am guessing about 25 to life.” So much truth in that statement! Though today I skipped the coffee and drank tea for the Queen instead.

To receive: 8, 14, 20, 24, 29

1 Like

Another round of thank yous from #15 @ad7yn:
#7 @mere5oh the views must be pretty awesome from the tram. I wonder if there is also a zip line connection along the aerial tram. That would make a fantastic thrill ride! Highly recommend being strapped where you are facing the sky, than sitting down.

#14 @dnrhott i have been to many live games but never American football! My bucket list is to go to a university college town and soak in the energy! It must be nuts!! I highly recommend watching sepak takraw live! It is the most exciting tournament I have seen. Think of a volleyball net where you can only hit balls with your feet! Think of blocks and spikes! Tennis is pretty cool! It’s heartbreaking that Federer retired.

#21 @Beachyblonde thank you for a lovely bible verse! The book of Psalms was my fave book for the past three years. What do you think King David’s MBTI is? INFP? I never understood David until I got older. I preferred Solomon, and loved the book of Ecclesiastes. But the more I learn about him, the more I realized how his life reveals both the weakness and frailty of the human heart but also exemplifies the grace and mercy of God.

#27 @beatriceh i love your penmanship! I wonder how your mind works… more artistic perhaps? I love reading all genres. For a bit, I was into Young Adult. Absolute love Dahl’s work! I even have his cookbooks! Here are my fave kids book: Momo by Michael Ende (author of the Neverending Story), The Giving Tree, Bad Guys series (my son kept laughing reading this book by himself), Peter Rabbit, Who Needs Donuts (super love this book!!! Love the cartoonist Mark Stamaty).

#29 @melvnoble please share what you saw in the show! I have a deep love of everything vintage! I just received a postcard by BS Reynolds printed in Chicago by Curt Teich & Co.! And it must be about 80 years old since they stopped printing in the 40s. I love seeing how print changed, especially print jobs! Teich is quite fascinating. Under his management, the Curt Teich & Company became the world’s largest printer of view and advertising postcards. He immigrated to the United States in 1895, where he initially worked as a printer’s devil in New York, a much lower position than he had held before he immigrated from Germany!

So what does a printer devil do?
A printer’s devil was a young apprentice in a printing establishment who performed a number of tasks, such as mixing tubs of ink and fetching type. A number of notable men served as printer’s devils in their youth, including Ambrose Bierce, William Dean Howells, James Printer, Benjamin Franklin, Raymond C. Hoiles, Samuel Fuller, Thomas Jefferson, Walt Whitman, Mark Twain, Joel Chandler Harris, Warren Harding, Harry Burleigh, Lawrence Tibbett, John Kellogg, Lyndon Johnson, Hoodoo Brown, James Hogg, Geoff Lloyd, Harry Pace, Joseph Lyons, Albert Parsons, Meade Huggins and Lázaro Cárdenas.

3 Likes

#13 finally checking in with cards from:

#'s 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 8 - 9 -10 -14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 19 - 22 - 25 - 26 - 28

#1 @cawindt – What a nice shot of the White House! Thank you! Our daughter Sarah lived and worked in DC/Virginia for 8 years and we visited often. We saw the sites and museums you would expect, but also places off the beaten track. One of our favorites was The O Museum which was around the corner from Sarah’s apartment. The museum is housed in five interconnected town houses that include over 100 rooms and 32 secret doors. The rooms have different themes and are packed with stuff! I recommend it as a very fun activity.

#2 @CrimsonKing – Mushrooms, mushrooms and more mushrooms! Thank you! And, I love the pumpkin washi tape. When I was a child, my father would take me to the woods to search for and pick mushrooms. I never ate them. And yes, when it rains mushrooms often pop up in our lawn. In fact, there is currently a crop of small ones growing in between the bricks outside our porch door. Never had that happen before!

#3 @cruzin – What a chubby little angel! He could be a cupid, couldn’t he? Love all of your decorations on the flip side! Thank you!

#4 @jenhart – Door County Wisconsin looks like a very busy place to visit! Thank you for the cool map card. Love all of the icons telling the county’s story. I am a LOTR fan so started watching the LOTR prequel, but just couldn’t get into the characters. I may have to try again.

#5 @SusanneA – Thank you for James Dean in “Giant” and for sharing a bit of your life with me. We have friends and some neighbors who have chickens. We looked out our window one morning to find our neighbor’s chickens had escaped their yard and were wandering around in ours. Our neighbors weren’t home and we ended up corralling the chickens in a fence corner to capture them. I should say I did. My husband wanted nothing to do with handling them although the pictures I took of him trying to shoo them toward the fence are pretty funny. We have hawks nesting in our neighborhood, so we thought it a good idea to get the chickens back in their coop.

#6 @mikeyz1 – a new typewriter card! Thank you! We actually have two old manual typewriters stored out in the garage along with a stenotype machine which belonged to my father-in-law. And, I have Wite-Out (yes, multiple bottles of Wite-Out) which I occasionally use on postcards and on the old school calendar hanging in our kitchen! I like seeing Monet’s artwork on my yearly calendar.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade – Thank you for the Crocus Angel! I love seeing crocus pop up in the garden in early spring. Autumn is my favorite season too! Although I enjoy having four seasons, I love “sweater weather” the most. Hope you have good weather for all your planned outdoor activities! Love the stickers!

#9 @akap25 – Thank you for the quote from Jane Austen’s Northanger Abbey! My favorite is also Pride and Prejudice which, now that you mention it, I should read again this winter. 70 different editions! What a great collection!

#10 @emotis – Love this cute and colorful ladybug card! Thank you so much! The availability and selection of postcards in Europe does make me more than a little jealous. When I was in Paris, oh so many years ago, I walked into a store where an entire wall was covered in postcards that were not tourist cards. Wish we had that sort of selection here.

#14 @dnrhott – I have to agree the Journey is the Destination. We’ve made so many unexpected stops along the way that have been wonderful to visit. It’s often our favorite part of the trip! I had a great summer which included three weeks at the Jersey shore. I was on my own one week while our bedroom floor was being refinished. Very relaxing. Love the strawberry sticker! Thank you!

#15 @ad7yn – Thank you for the very distinguished penguins! I love the Madagascar penguins. They crack me up! I’m currently a little hooked on Bluey, a television show out of Australia which my younger granddaughters watch. And, yes, I actually have the release date of the Charles M. Schultz stamps marked on my calendar! My granddaughter is also hooked on dragons. She believes they are very friendly and really exist and has a large collection of them. Cute dragon cards would be appreciated!

#16 @jacieslar – This card is so very cool! Thank you so much! Love the ladybug story. Kids ask the greatest questions, don’t they? Maybe a ladybug tattoo should be a requirement to be a teacher! Our son, a former English teacher now in Admin, has a tattoo of Bilbo jBaggins on his thigh which he acquired in high school without our knowledge. Saw it when his swim trunks hitched up!

#17 @Hazygirl – Thank you for Badlands National Park which looks really bad! I’m constantly remarking how beautiful our western national parks are. The landscape is so different from the east coast. Your students must love your “Snoopy-fied” classroom. New Schultz stamps are coming out at the end of this month!

#19 @ellistrations – Thank you so much for this Keep Calm card! It’s great! Love the color coordinated washi, too. We started “spring cleaning” when Covid hit. We really have sporadically cleaned out a lot, but still have a lot to go. There’s 46 years accumulation here! Our son tells us it will all go into a dumpster when we are gone. I tell him if he doesn’t look through everything before tossing, he will never know where I hid the money! Good luck!

#22 @uconn – What a great mushroom card! Thank you! Hope you enjoyed the agricultural fair. We took the twins to the Kutztown Folk Festival a couple of years ago. It is the oldest continuously operated folklife festival in America. One of our most memorable festivals was the Goschenhoppen Folk Festival in a nearby town where they gutted a very large pig/hog(?). It was an experience!

#25 @sleepyhippo1 – Thank you for the Japanese kaparamip robe from the Minneapolis Institute of Art. A nice addition to my collection! Museums are wonderful to visit. Hope you have the opportunity to return to this one to finish your visit. Go early!

#26 @sarahaeyo – Florida Pelicans! We’ve been seeing more pelicans flying over the ocean off the Jersey coast, but have never seen one perched on a piling, or anywhere else for that matter. I think they are really cool, but understand they are quite nasty. “Mine, mine, mine.” LOL Thank you!

#28 @TwoDoggies – Thank you so much for this very lovely card featuring a few ladybugs. It’s so pretty! As mostly everyone here must know, I love going to the beach where I, too, do “a whole lot of nothin’”. I am so incredibly fortunate that my brother bought a small home in a neighborhood in West Cape May, NJ over 20 years ago. I spent two weeks there this summer. And, not one of us would be able to afford to buy there today. The prices are, as you indicated, way out of our league.

4 Likes