[RR] North American September 2022 Round Robin - The Labouring Over Postcards Edition - Closed!

#5 reporting cards received:

#7 @mere5oh - Mt. McKinley National park card - Knowing nothing about how exchange students really work, I didn’t even think about the fact that they had rules to follow.
#24 @roxy - Antique radio card - What type of radio station did you dj?
#29 @melvnoble - Whitetail deer card - I will be seeing plenty of these soon enough as it’s bow hunting season here and my two daughters are in competition to see who will kill the first one this year.

1 Like

Cool postcard and stamps from:

#24 @roxy Brenda, thanks for the awesome vintage radio postcard. It reminds me of the ones we had when I was growing up. I love the stamps too. Gold foil is just perfect :raised_hands:t3:

1 Like

#4 reporting 2 more:

#27 @beatriceh : a great Wayne Thiebaud art card of gumball machines. I have not been to State College before. Penn State, Nebraska and Michigan St are the only Big Ten campuses I have never been too, Well … Rutgers too but do they Really count as Big Ten? lol

#29 @melvnoble : painted view of the central business district of Pittsburgh. What a cool collection of cards that is!

Thank You

#17 Hazygirl reporting received:

#6 @mikeyz1 Excellent Great American Ballpark card. I always wanted to go to all the MLB parks. Doubt it’ll happen in real life. Love having a postcard of one. Yes, they are magical at night, especially when the Yankees are winning. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

#21 @Beachyblonde I love hotels, and hotel cards. I especially love Disney ones. I would love to get to the Food & Wine festival some day.

#24 @roxy Great retro radio and washi tape. I’ve been looking all over stampers like that!

#27 @beatriceh Great old timey map card. It got a little beat up in the mail but it’s like it was on an old pirate ship!

#29 @melvnoble Six PIttsburgh Postcards postcard. I agree it does make an excellent postcard! Thank you.

1 Like

:slight_smile: You mean the Big 14?

SEPTEMBER 2022 NARR

Report 3 from: Rocky Road Trip #30

More Shades of September:

#01 @cawindt: sent a beer promo card for Germany’s Spaten pale lager. It sounds like you could use a few of these cold ones after work, but it’s good to hear things at school have gotten a little more normal. Of course, be careful what you wish for! Great civil defense card. Thanks!

#04 @jenhart: sent a shot of the Harbour Town Lighthouse on Hilton Head Island. It’s a faux lighthouse, built as a shopping destination for the local marina. I know, I’ve been. And have bought postcards inside it! Yes, as much as Summer was a blistering scorcher, we’re all going to miss the outdoor activities. Thanks!

#07 @Mere5oh: sent a shot of the two Grand Haven lights on Lake Michigan, separate by a long catwalk that’s notorious for freezing over with ice in the winter. You can arrange to stay at a lighthouse. There’s one on Cape Cod that has turned the lifeguard station into a B&B. But it’s pricey and you have to book a year or more out! Similarly, you can “volunteer” to be a fire warden in charge of your own fire tower. But, given the number of wildfires raging these days, that sounds a little too dangerous for my blood. Thanks!

#08 @Shesa-Renegade: sent a shot of the Buffalo Bill Dam in Cody, Wyoming. Great addition to my Dam collection, and this one has a dated hand-stamped postmark from the site itself! The Hoover Dam is overrated at this point, haha. You can’t even drive over it anymore. Boo! But yeah, worth visiting at least once in a lifetime. Thanks!

#09 @akap25: sent a tacky interior motel room view from within the iconic Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo, CA. We’re talking about gaudy floral wallpaper and mood lighting. I have never been. And I can’t believe you and your kids have stayed there. Color me green! Thanks

#10 @emotis: sent a perfect addition to my Appalachian Trail collection. This one features a hiker looking out over the legendary White Mountains of New Hampshire. To many of the thru-Hikers, the “Whites” are one of the most challenging, but beautiful, sections. Good thing they are seasoned pros when they finally get there. Yeah, digging “catholes” is definitely the downside to hiking! Thanks!

#11: @alcott1: sent an illustrated sign of the Jack Rabbit Trading Post sign in Joseph City, AZ. This place gives South of the Border a run for the money in terms of billboard advertising. I can add this to my collection of Jack Rabbit Trading Posts views I’ve been receiving. And I agree, I had a couple of lemons in the 70s. American cars were built so poorly back then. Thank goodness Toyota (and Datsun) came in to shake things up. Thanks for the Cougar stamp!

#12 @Yarn-Lady: sent a vintage chrome shot of the Owls Head Lighthouse in Maine. Hadn’t previously heard anything about this one. Glad to hear it’s being maintained and has a museum. And yes, good luck with your new adventures. Retirement is looking better and better, this work life is for chumps! Thanks!

#13 @Ladybug513: sent a shot of some Amish kids (probably crisis actors!) posing in front of a Dutch Haven Barn sign. The store apparently has “Amish Stuff” and gives out free “Intercourse” maps. (like anyone needs a roadmap for that!) Hilarious stuff. Sorry you can’t make the Beacon Meetup. It looks like the Saint is keeping you very busy! Tell him to take a load off! Thanks

#14 @Dnrhott: sent a pretty shot of a sailboat just sitting at anchor on a picturesque lake. Yes, I saw The Black Phone. Very creepy. Very Stephen King-ish with a dash of Stranger Things vibe. But the scariest film I’ve seen recently is Fall, and it had nothing supernatural happening in it at all. Thanks.

Okay, that’s it for now. I have about 10 more cards to report.

All these cider donuts can be found on my Flickr account.

And all my Sept. outgoing cards have been sent.

Rocky Road Trip #30

2 Likes

#7 @mere5oh really nice fact card of these lou paper series a place NM i would like to visit very nice thank you.

#18 @LaurenceB an old map if only i could read it good luck with new baby. Thank you. The washi and stamps are nice.

#20 @Triol a lovely Bluenose ship in Nova Scotia seems like a cargo ship. Very nice .thank you.

#21 @Beachyblonde funny national park lol thank you.

#27 @beatriceh a purple Mickey cant go wrong with this fun mouse. Used to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse fun times.

#29 @melvnoble postcard of lady liberty been here did you know her face is cross of the sculpture mother and mistress. I saw a documentary :flushed:.

Thank you Gals for lovely views . :grinning::star_struck:

2 Likes

#22 uconn

#24 @roxy very cool vintage radio, is it bakelite? I still use a radio as an alarm clock, I just had to replace it as the buttons fell inside the body :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Sculpin are excellent in fish tacos! Just have to remember to get rid of the spines on those things.

1 Like

#8 Shesa-Renegade checking in with more received postcards this past week!

#2 @CrimsonKing sends a gorgeous vintage-looking card of a seed packet for cosmos. They are such beautiful flowers. I really struggle sometimes growing from seed, even my veggies. It can be so frustrating!

#3 @Cruzin sends a gorgeous postcard of Princess Diana that is a painting. Thank you for sending me this lovely card and having your FIL pick this up. I’ve never seen any that are like this.

#6 @mikeyz1 Oh, how I do love this card about pre-EPA America! I am taking this in to show my friend who I teach a sustainability course with. Glad to hear your semester is going well so far. Like you, I was able to get back into the introductory classroom (physical geology) and I love every moment in there!

#7 @mere5oh sends a fun card of “Who Dung It?” HAHA this is great! On my vacation this year I bough a book about poo for a friends son. He has them scouring the neighborhood now looking at poo. It’s a good thing she’s such a great friend.

#9 @akap25 sends a great card of the University of Washington. I love that you have started putting yourself first and learning something new every day. Here is a fact for you for today - rocks that have been subjected to great amounts of pressure often have mineral grains that rotate in the solid state (meaning they don’t melt). Those rotated grains form structures that look like eyes and are called “augen,” which is German for eye. I’m teaching my students about them tomorrow, so it was one of the first things that came to mind.

#12 @Yarn-Lady sends a delicious card with macaroons and tea. Baked goods, especially cookies, tend to be my downfall. I can have a cake in the house no problem, but cookies are gone quickly!

#13 @ladybug513 sends a card with an illustrated whale shark from Cancun. One of these days I really want to see one of these creatures. I hope that your cleaning went well. I am still being lazy here…haha.

#14 @dnrhott sends an adorable card of a kitten looking into a mirror and seeing a tiger with “This is your year - year of the tiger.” Aww…melts my heart it is so adorable.

#15 @ad7yn sends an illustrated card of Siena. My favorite Colin Firth movie is either Bridget Jones (he loves her wobbly bits) or The King’s Speech (because he is just so amazing in that movie). Up is one of my top 3 movies of all time. I never noticed the shapes so much (but will now). I love Carl because his features look so much like my grandfather, whom I miss dearly. Kevin is my favorite character.

#16 @jacieslar sends a card of an orca from Seattle. I hate cleaning house! There are so much more fun things I could be doing, like writing postcards. Today we hit 101* and set a record. I tried not to go outside from my office all day. Tomorrow we are supposed to have a cool front come through and it is only supposed to be 85* or so.

#18 @LaurenceB sends a fun pink octopus on a bright green background. This color combo was the color of my bedroom growing up! I am so happy that you are done with your studies; however, something tells me that you are a lifelong learner and will never truly be done learning. Enjoy those children! The time goes so quickly. One day they are 2, the next they are 20.

#21 @Beachyblonde sends a fun fact card that tells me that female seals are called cows and males are called bulls. Here’s a fact (don’t tell the postcard people) but the picture on the front is actually a sea lion and not a seal. You can see his/her little ears, and you can’t see them on seals. Shhhh…our secret.

#23 @suatelier sends a card of cold, snowy Montreal. I hope that you had a fabulous time at the engagement party! It sounds like great fun.

#25 @sleepyhippo1 sends a card filled with illustrated dogs! The humidity in my area is horrible. You almost can’t stand being outside in the summer.

#28 @TwoDoggies sends a hilarious card from “The Snooty Bookshop” and this one made me laugh out loud! I’ve met a lot of those kinds of folks over the years. I don’t think that I’d like that book at all that you described on the card. Where is the barf emoji? haha

#29 @melvnoble sends a vintage linen card of the library in her hometown…and her best friend works there! What a great combo. Jealous!!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sends a card of two views of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. There is no postmark on here and wonder if it was sent on the day she died. I totally get not understanding the obsession over royalty, but I guess for me it is a life I would never know. And as for the king that you mentioned on your card - bite your tongue, Sir! HAHAHA (please do not let that scenario ever happen)

To Receive 10, 20, 24, 27, 28

3 Likes

#29 - One postcard has arrived!

#21 @Beachyblonde - Thank you for this Lou Paper postcard of Pastries! This is making me hungry just looking at it! My mood shifts between wanting something sweet or salty so often. Sometimes I’ll have a salty snack and immediately want a sweet snack! :laughing:

I finished getting all of the other postcards up on my Flickr albums, so here it is for anyone interested! Monthly NA RR Flickr Album

#24 here.

Thank you to our leader #1 @cawindt for the great card from the Studebaker National Museum. I need to visit this museum!

7 @mere5oh - a Jetoy kitty! - I actually did spin my Himalayan cat’s hair - it was beautiful!
10 @emotis - This is magnificent - The Gothic East Gate in Regensburg!
21 @Beachyblonde - Chattanooga Choo-Choo - the Glenn Miller song is playing in my head! I love the fountain too!
22 @uconn - Beautiful fall trees. Oregon is blessed with a lot of fall color… we saw a tree lined street yesterday that was changing color… very pretty.
29 @melvnoble - Idora Park - I would have loved this place! I was always excited to go places like this when I was little! Too bad people today don’t like them.

Thank you all for the wonderful cards - I love them!

Waiting for 20–25

2 Likes

#17 hazygirl reporting that

#20 @Triol sent Blue Cats. yay Blue Cats! I love these cards. Thank you! :purple_heart::purple_heart:

1 Like

#6 @mikeyz1 --Levi Coffin House–Coffin and his wife were conductors for the Underground Railroad–Wonderful piece of history.

#20 @Triol – Scenes from Halifax, Nova Scotia–another place I’d love to visit.

#27 @beatriceh – Cat on a New Yorker cover–I’ve been working New Yorker jigsaw puzzles–such great covers.

2 Likes

Thank you to:
#8 @Shesa-Renegade Love this Devils Tower card. We were there some years ago during the summer… it had just reopened after being closed for a few weeks for Native American ceremonies.
#20 @triol Nova Scotia LP card. Nova Scotia is a place I’d love to visit!
#24 @roxy antique radio. I still use a radio at work… though real local radio stations are becoming harder and harder to find.

To receive: 14, 29

1 Like

#6 reporting

#13 @ladybug513 sent a Freedom Tower NYC with important remembrances

#20 @Triol sent a great Nova Scotia map card from her vacation. I’m so glad you all feel well now.

#21 @Beachyblonde sent a funny card from the Subpar Parks: Real One Star Reviews of National Parks. Wow, that’s a great series! Too funny!

#24 @roxy sent a fun old radio card!

1 Like

#21 @Beachyblonde Subpar Parks card of Lake Clark Nat’l Park and the front says, “Nothing to do there.” lol thanks!

#29 - My last two postcards for September have arrived!

#20 @Triol - Thank you Olga for this Lou Paper postcard of New Jersey! It’s so fascinating seeing all the items that are important to a certain state. Tomato pie? Is that was New Jersey folks call pizza? :laughing: I want to know more about the elephant. All I can think of is the Topsy song from Bob’s Burgers now! :elephant:

#24 @roxy - Thank you Brenda for this postcard of vintage radios! I appreciate you underlined the date 1947! It’s so fascinating seeing how technology advances. At least they are smaller than the big ones people who have had to get in the decades earlier.

1 Like