[RR] North American September 2022 Round Robin - The Labouring Over Postcards Edition - Closed!

18 reporting!

6 @mikeyz1 Thank you very much for the Hearst Castle pool! What a beauty! I think it was under renovation when I visited Hearst Castle a few years ago. I might have to visit again to see it in all its glory!

10 @emotis What an EPIC card!!! Thank you SO much for the beautiful Nessie card, with 2 Loch Ness monsters :smiley: I like to believe that this is their job shift change haha. Love it so much! It is impossible to find postcards here as well. I only buy online, honestly. At least a lot of local artists do sell on Etsy or on their own website :slight_smile:

11 @alcott1 Thank you so much for the Wigwam Motel! I love it! I do believe it’s still open too, I’d love to see it one day :smiley: I truly wonder how fancy or not the rooms actually are!

12 @Yarn-Lady Thank you so much for the vintage beauty! I just love to buy boxes of old cards, recently got my hands on a huge set too! Maine truly is wonderful, I got married there! It’s not that far from here, maybe 5-6 hr drive, so many Quebecers go there on vacation. We always eat lobster every night when we do visit. I haven’t been in years, can’t wait to travel there again! :smiley:

15 @ad7yn Thank you for the Mont Saint-Michel card! We do have an awesome library in Montreal, you can see pictures on Google if you type “grande bibliotheque de Montreal”! :slight_smile: Thank you so much for the Instagram link of the kitsch motels artist! I absolutely love his work and I’m delighted to see that I can get some of it on RedBubble :smiley: And thank you for an amazing children’s book recommendation!!! I think my son will LOVE it :smiley:

To be continued!

#23 reporting

#6 @mikeyz1 thank you for the Lantern Press card! That definitely would be disappointing. I’d also love to see a bison!

#9 @akap25 thank you for the postcrossing card with a cool global forever stamp - never seen this one. I’m glad you’re enjoying your life as an empty nester! I have not flown out of my nest yet and I’m a bit excited for when I do.

#14 @dnrhott thank you for the Venezia card! I’ve actually been here before so this was a nice trip back on memory lane.

#15 @ad7yn thank you for the Dallas, Texas card and a bit of history of Riverside, CA! I also like tacos but I’d love to try an authentic one one day.

#2 reporting

#20 @Triol sent a card from my favorites, a cat, thank you Olga! :smiley: I hope you loved your trip to Nova Scotia, it sounds like it was fun. Also happy you recovered quickly from covid.

#21 @Beachyblonde sent Halloween, thank you Whitney! :smiley: What stores have you gone to that has Christmas up already?! Geeze Louise! I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, lol.

#29 @melvnoble sent a bridge in Pittsburgh, thank you Mel! :smiley: Reflections on the waters are pretty. Imagine how dark a city would be without any light, it’d be creepy, hehe.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sent a crow, thank you Rocky! :smiley: Lucky chipmunk to get free peanuts, hehe, that’s cute. I guess he does have to dodge the crows and other large birds that may want to eat him.

Thank you everyone! :smiley:

#25 reporting received cards
#6. @mikeyz1 a brown bear from the Toledo zoo
#9. @akap25 flamingos from the San Diego zoo. I lost my dog last year. It’s a hard thing to go thru.
#10. @emotis an adorable hippo card. Love the hippo washi tape
#12. @Yarn-Lady a beautiful tea setting. Hope you got your rain.
#13. @ladybug513 hippos from the adventure aquarium. I would love to visit these hippos. What color did you paint your bedroom?
#14. @dnrhott beautiful hibiscus. Like the stamps
#15. @ad7yn a cute Edinburgh zoo card. My favorite character from gone with the wind is mammie. One of my favorite movie quotes is “hold onto your butts” Jurassic park.
#16. @jacieslar a tasty deep dish pizza. When I was a kid, all my cousins, aunts and uncles would go to my grandparents every first Friday of the month and make homemade pizzas. Great memories.
#18. @LaurenceB a fun ice cream card. Love the stickers and washi tape. I had to get out my jacket today.
#20. @Triol beautiful butterflies. I would love to go to Nova Scotia. Love the stickers
#23 @suatelier Quebec typography card. Hope you had a great time
#24. @roxy 1947 radios. Sounds like a fun job. Love the washi tape
#26. @sarahaeyo biophilia card. Hope October is a slower month for you . Cute puppy washi tape
#27. @beatriceh a cute Sesame Street card. Your cats sound adorable
#28. @TwoDoggies a lion from the Smithsonian zoo. Love the stickers
#29. @a cool Pittsburgh card. Cute stickers. I’m glad for the fall weather too
#30. @RockyRoadTrip a fun western Barbie card. I had not heard about the Barbie movie

Thank you everyone for all the great postcards

4 Likes

#24 @roxy Cool old radio. I’ve never seen this kind before! My Dad used to be a DJ in Chicago for WTMX, then was a DJ for a classical station out of Madison. He is retired now. Thank you!

#27 @beatriceh Cute Christmas card showing all the things cozy for beatriceh! I am hoping our cooler weather arrives sooner than later. Thank you!

1 Like

#3 received this week

#6 @mikeyz1 Stella Mars card! I love these cards!

#7 @mere5oh Postcrosser card from PaperSisters! We only got a little of the rain - wish it had been more, but will take what we can!

8 @Shesa-Renegade Milky Way!! I love shopping for postcards! Now that the Euro is down, I’m trying to stock up a bit from international sites!

#20 @Triol LP Nova Scotia. Hope you’ve recovered! We just did an overnight trip down to SoCal - attended an event - now I’m avoiding people for 5 days because it was a huge mostly indoor event and we weren’t and hardly anyone were wearing masks because you were constantly drinking and eating.

#21 @Beachyblonde ADG Legends! Have not seen this series yet
.off to go shopping!

#24 @roxy cool looking radio! How exciting you were a dj!! It just made me think how long has it been since I heard a disc jockey on the radio!

#27 Awesome pin-up card!! I’ll look into that company! Nice that the other seller sent you replacements! I always feel bad when things get lost in the mail - it’s not the sellers fault - but not the buyers either.

#29 @melvnoble Statue from the Philadelphia Museum of Art! We were just in LA next to the MoCA - The Broad - etc. Didn’t have time to go in, but did manage to go to the gift shop of MoCA - $$ for postcards!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip very apropos right now!! But it always has been, always in the back of the mind of “what if?” - now it became a scary reality.

Thank you all for the great cards and words!!

2 Likes

#5 reporting cards received:
#20 @Triol - Beach puppy card.
#21 @Beachyblonde - “Muddy” card.
#27 @beatriceh - Cute orange kitty card. I have an orange cat that looked just like that when he was a kitten.

1 Like

Two more cards for this month’s RR. Thanks to:

#20 @Triol for the fabulous card from the Canadian Museum of Immigration. I would love to see it! My Canadian family consists of three waves of immigrants - French in the 1600s, Irish in the 1820s, and then Scottish in the 1860s. I’m glad that you have recovered!

#24 @roxy for the wonderful radio from the 1930s. Awesome stamps! I also used to be a DJ - during my freshman year at college. Then the station ditched my format :sob:

Just waiting on #8!

Another update has been completed :slight_smile:

#15 @ad7yn reporting

Received:
#20 @Triol thank you a lovely Rembrandt card. He is one of my favorite master artist. Wow 8 years in this RR
 this is my first year and I can see why you continue each month. It’s such a lovely group.

#24 @roxy i have been bugging my family to go bowling this year! I think our son is big enough to lift a children’s bowling ball. Wish me luck! Thank you for the lovely street scene stamp!

26 received: #20, 24 (all!)

20 @triol - i am glad that you enjoyed your trip to nova scotia; it is so beautiful there! also glad to hear that you are feeling better :two_hearts: love the alice card as well!

24 @roxy - it is awesome how you used to be a radio dj~ it sounds like so much fun! i used to work with someone who is in our state’s broadcasting hall of fame - he was on the air for over 40 years! :radio: did you have a favourite part of the programming?

SEPTEMBER 2022 NARR

Report 4 from: Rocky Road Trip #30

#15 @ad7yn: sent a bizarre cartoon illustration entitled The Political Locust by Isaac Cruikshank via the British Museum. Depicts a human locust chomping down on what remains of Old England and its Constitution. From 1785 when high prices and food shortages were creating civil unrest and the political aristocracy was viewed only as self-serving. Great example of early newspaper political satire. As for your son. Equal doses of books and TikTok should do the trick. Then censor some of it, as my parents did, making me even more passionate and determined to learn and create
 to spite them! Thanks.

#16 @jacieslar: sent a view of the World’s Largest Teapot in Chester, West Virginia. Was originally a Hires Root Beet advertising barrel eventually sold to a private citizen who used it as gift shop for his pottery business. Fell into disrepair in the ‘80s when it was also threatened with demolition. The town of Chester stepped in and now maintain the curiosity as a tourist attraction. Yes, we too are enjoying the cooler fall weather. Makes our outside activities much more enjoyable. Thanks!

#18 @LaurenceB: sent a vintage promo card for The Palliser hotel, Calgary’s “Informal” cosmopolitan hotel. Is that code for “hayseeds welcome?” Classic staged shots of the dining room and convention hall. The best is the exterior shot of dad loading up the bellhop with the family’s luggage. Great kitschy stuff. Thanks!

#19 @Ellistrations: sent a film still from the James Bond classic, Goldfinger from 1964. Features a young Sean Connery. Yeah, if I could have a super power, I’d like it to be the ability to go back in time to fix current political problems. Just how to do that would be the challenge. But if I had the power, I would find a way to leverage it. Thanks!

#20 @Triol: sent a colorful shot of the fishing town of Luneburg, Nova Scotia, A UNESCO World Heritage Site. Looks like a fairytale port, buy they’re probably feeling the pain of Hurricane Fiona right about now. We have a Halloween cruise scheduled. Hopefully the hurricane season will die down before that. Thanks!

#21 @BeachyBlonde: sent a Lantern Press parody card from the Subpar Parks collection. Shows a generic illustrated landscape at sunset (could be overlooking the Grand Canyon) with text that reads Dull and Boring. Yes, it will go just fine in my boring scenery collection. Thanks!

#24 @Roxy: sent a shot of a vintage Airline brand table-top tube radio. I had a friend who used to collect these old models. Claimed the tubes produced a much warmer audio experience, though I didn’t think that accounted for much on the AM dial! Yeah, I did a little DJing in school, and then did two one-off slots on WFMU, a free from radio station in New Jersey. Fun stuff, but a lot of work. Thanks.

#25 @SleepyHippo1: Like you, I have no idea what this card is supposed to depict. That it was awarded a winning design prize in a Postcard Collector is just nuts. Features a wide eyed cat holding up a sign that says “Wain Who?” which I guess is a reference to Louis Wain, an English artist known for his wide-eyed cat paintings. So no worries - not offensive (well, unless you’re a Wain purist). Thanks!

#26 @Sarahaeyo: sent an illustrated shot of Elizabeth Warren with the “Nevertheless She Persisted” quote tattooed to her upheld, muscled arms. Currently reading “This Will Pass” (horrible title) which is a highly readable and solid account of the Biden’s election win and first year in the face of Trumpism. Warren was once in the running for the VP slot, but was judged too “radical” for his ticket! Nuts. Thanks!

#28 @TwoDoggies: sent an interesting shot that details the various industry-standard picture-frame sizes, A3 to A6. Entitled “Talk Soon, Erik” inexplicably. (Maybe they are picture frame shop owners?) Hope you had fun at the Renaissance Fair. We have friends who do it, but it’s something that’s just never clicked with us. Except eating the roasted turkey legs. Thanks!

#29 @MelVnoble: sent a vintage shot of what appears to be a bunch of seized moonshine stills. Back during prohibition, it was popular to photograph law enforcement successfully cracking down on bootleggers and distilleries. I’m guessing this is one of those shots. Very cool. Thanks!

You can view all these cards HERE

Just waiting on: #27
All my Sept. cards have been mailed.

Rocky Road Trip #30

4 Likes

#21 BeachyBlonde

Received:
#1 @cawindt Thank you for the Vietnam Memorial postcard. I miss remote schooling lately as well! haha
#2 @CrimsonKing Thank you for the epic Candy Pink Pantone postcard! I love it! I’ve really started loving these too!
#3 @Cruzin Thank you for the “Feminism is for everyone” postcard! It’s scary!
#4 @jenhart Thank you for the awesome Door County map postcard! It’s so fun!
#5 @SusanneA Thank you for the adorable monkey postcard! I love all of the fun facts as well!
#6 @mikeyz1 Thank you for the epic l’acrobate NY vs Paris postcard! Things are mostly back to normal here as well! Which means I’m way too busy! haha
#7 @mere5oh Thank you for the cute and funny puzzle postcard! Slow but surely! haha
#8 @Shesa-Renegade Thank you for the epic surfer postcard! I’m sorry you missed out on the beach!
#9 @akap25 Thank you for the lovely Lantern Press postcard! I can’t wait to make it to San Francisco someday!
#11 @alcott1 Thank you for sharing the Fin Inn with me! I will have to visit if I ever make it to the area!
#12 @Yarn-Lady Thank you for the hilarious coffee postcard! I love coffee, I’m so sorry about your allergy!
#13 @ladybug513 Thank you for the Lantern Press postcard! It sounds like you had such a wonderful day!
#14 @dnrhott Thank you for the Montreal postcard.
#15 @ad7yn Thank you for the eye-opening 1800’s political postcard!
#16 @jacieslar Thank you for the lovely beach postcard! I miss seeing the waves! Enjoy the mountain air!
#17 @Hazygirl Thank you for the sweet manatees postcard! I love it!
#18 @LaurenceB Thank you for the awesome coffee postcard! I hope the transition has gone well so far!!
#19 @ellistrations Thank you for the epic Spectacled Eider postcard! I hope you trip is marvelous!
#20 @Triol Thank you for the Nova Scotia postcard! I am happy to read that you are feeling better!
#22 @uconn Thank you for the epic Roald Dahl postcard! I hope you enjoyed the Fairs!
#23 @suatelier Thank you for the Lantern Press postcard! How fun that you road the train!
#25 @sleepyhippo1 Thank you for the awesome A-Z dog postcard! I love it!
#27 @beatriceh Thank you for the amazing polar bears postcard! I hope that they can be saved as well!
#28 @TwoDoggies Thank you for the awesome Holland postcard! I am still so jealous of your trip! haha
#29 @melvnoble Thank you for the awesome postcard! I really like this art and the artist is very talented! It makes me want to go to move to a small, historical East Coast town!
#30 @RockyRoadTrip Thank you for the Stand with Ukraine postcard! The whole situation is just devastating.

8 Likes

@jacieslar

#24 @roxy This postcard reminds me of a radio my grandparents had in the 50’s (ouch!) It sat on a shelf in their living room and we listened to it whenever I was there. Thanks!

#12 - 20 @Triol - Peggy’s Cove Lighthouse - It must have been a wonderful vacation (until Covid caught you) - we have still stayed pretty close to home.

Waiting for 24

#15 @ad7yn – #26 @ad7yn – Bellows’ Romance of Criehaven–beautiful card. So many of my favorite novels are young adult novels. I just gave a really good book about a fox to my granddaughter–I’ll have to ask her the name of it and let you know.

#21 @Beachyblonde – The Arches–sort of. Funny–I’d like to see the others in the series.

#24 @roxy --Cool radios. My husband collects old radios. He has his original Japanese transistor radio.

#8 Shesa-Renegade checking in with 3 more received cards!!

#10 @emotis sends a college card from Ohio University. Sometimes the college isn’t the right fit - I am so glad that you found a place where it worked for you.

#20 @Triol sends an adorable card of two puppies running through the grass! I’m sorry to hear that you got sick on your trip, but glad all is well now. I was sick the entire time I was in Egypt with intestinal issues (that I later found out was an allergy to the tylenol I was taking for bursitis). It’s amazing how being ill can detract from your fun.

#27 @beatriceh sends a great library card from the cover of The New Yorker for my “Learn” theme this month. I would love to be in that space studying!

To Receive 24, 28

1 Like

#28 reporting recd cards.

#6 @mikeyz1 a vintage movie card Dragstrip Riot for the CAUTION challenge. It’s a perfectly cheesy movie that fits the category to a T.

#7 @mere5oh sends a card of kitchen utensils from the Art of Instruction boxed set. This card meets several categories (Target, Knife Edge, Caution, Metaphor).

#8 @Shesa-Renegade sends campers in a JAR. I’m looking forward to autumn also.

#15 @ad7yn Art: “The Angry Wife”. Scarlett was worried about money but she was also just as stubborn and egotistical as Rhett!

#16 @jacieslar thank you for the Lou Paper birthday card. I love getting cards that I’ve sent myself but have never received. I did have a wonderful day at the beach thank you.

#20 @Triol a LP card with a Lobster from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Your vacation sounds awesome (except for the COVID). I also got covid on my last day of my big vacation this summer. Yuck.

#21 @beachyblonde sends a cool cat in uniform (and armed). I’m sorry, I’m dense. Which challenge word was this one for?

#24 @roxy sends a vintage card of rafting on the Martha Brae RIVER! Thanks!

#27 @beatriceh sends an awesome children’s book story card which is a colorful STORY.

#29 @melvnoble sends a close of Ben Franklin as shown on currency. Represents BRAIN which he certainly does.

3 Likes

18 reporting

14 @dnrhott Thank you for the Norman Rockwell “Full treatment”! I booked a massage next month, I’ll feel brand new!

16 @jacieslar Thank you very much for the LouPaper snail mail
 Filled with all of our favorite things! Being on maternity leave is almost like being retired, you have the whole week to do the chores! But I’m guessing you can sleep in more than I can :upside_down_face:

24 @roxy Thank you very much for the Crosley radios! My mom collects these kinds of things :slight_smile:

25 @sleepyhippo1 Thank you for the cute Disney Painted Ladies card! I feel like I’m always up late, only because I have no time during the day to work on postcards! I used to go to bed early
 Love the elephants as well, it’s the first time I see them :smiley:

27 @beatriceh Thank you for the beautiful vintage style bird collage! I love it and looked up the credits, unfortunately the website doesn’t seem to exist anymore :frowning: Thank you for sharing all your well thought-out dream vacay! I will definitely share mine on my next card :wink:

28 @TwoDoggies Thank you for the Ratatouille card :slight_smile: That movie was fun! If only the skunk living in our backyard was this cute :upside_down_face:

30 @RockyRoadTrip What an AWESOME wooden card!!! Thank you so much!! I once spent Christmas night at the Puerto Rico airport after missing our connecting flight. Only time I ever visited! Thanks for sharing it with me :smiley:

1 Like

#19 received

#7 @mere5oh - thank you! These make for great décor (and emergency needs), haha!

#24 @roxy - thank you! A dj gig sounds fun!

#27 @beatriceh - thank you! Definitely counts for a birdcage. It reminds my of Sylvester and Tweety as well, haha, so fun! My cat would go after bugs and lizards in the house. When we are outside, birds don’t phase her
 My first cat was never phased by anything
 He just hung out.

#29 @melvnoble - thank you! A light festival sounds fun
 I’m trying to find a night to go to the Christmas Lights at the SC Zoo.

2 Likes