[RR] North American October 2021 Round Robin - The Spooktacular Card Edition - Closed!

#17 reporting a cool card arrival

#20 @Triol A USA map card from my favorites. Thanks!

2 Likes

#5 reporting:

#3 @cruzin ā€“ What a wonderful quote! ā€œIā€™m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.ā€ Thank you! I love Fall, and October, too.

#9 @mere5oh ā€“ What a great meet-up card! Great design, Meredith. Thank you. I got an email from Sam Quito sometime before World Postcard Day, talking about how to get a special cancellation, but I didnā€™t act on it. Hope the meet-up was fun.

#10 @emotis ā€“A giant bat, from the Louisville Slugger Museum. Thanks ā€“ great addition to my collection. About my Flickr account: Iā€™ve had one since around 2008, but in 2012, I stopped uploading RR cards. About two months ago, I decided to start using it again. I have uploaded all my museum cards and Iā€™m about 75% through my art cards. Iā€™m not sure how far Iā€™ll go with it, but Iā€™m really enjoying going through the cards once more.

You can see my postcards for this RR here.

4 Likes

#19 ellistrations received

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - a rocking chair, thank you! This one makes me laugh, as the focus is on the chair but the guy is also shown passed out semi out of focus.

1 Like

Received:

#1 @cawindt sent a beautiful view of Michiganā€™s autumn mist. I love pretty autumn views.
#3 @cruzin sent a great real photograph of the Queen, Queen Mum and other royal family members.
#7 @treeclimber sent a wonderful vintage card - a glimpse of Ramonaā€™s marriage place in San Diego. Ramona was the heroine in the novel of the same name by Helen Hunt Jackson. Fascinating.
#8 @Shesa-Renegade sent a card featuring potato farms in Maine. Yay, potato cards are hard to come by!
#9 @mere5oh sent a fun card from the 6th annual Southwestern Meet-up - beautiful design! I only recognize two names on it.
#12 @teddypostcrossing sent a great carnivorous plant illustration
#13 @ladybug513 sent the Marco Beach Hotel Villas/Country Club - wonderful multiview featuring many of the amenities.
#15 @NittanyLionRI sent a beautiful multiview of Rhode Island from my faves.
#16 @crimsonking sent a Route 66 sign. Every time I get a Route 66 card I sigh wistfully wishing I could have seen it in itā€™s heyday.
#18 @scoutingbear sent a fun vintage ad reprint for Peerless clothes wringers. Thank goodness we have todayā€™s technology for laundry!
#22 @uconn sent a vintage San Francisco card featuring the crookedest street in the world
#23 @normajean sent a card featuring the John P Cable Grist Mill in the Great Smoky Mountains. Great choice!
#29 @melvnoble sent a card of the Soldierā€™s Monument, River Side Cemetery in Poland, OH
#30 @RockyRoadTrip made my day with a wunnerful wunnerful Lawrence Welk postcard!

8 Likes

October 2021 NARR Report #3

Wrapping up October

#06 @MikeyZ1: sent a vintage linen shot of Conrad Schuckā€™s Wonder House in Barstow, FL. At the time of its building the eighteen room home was heralded for its design innovations, but concrete bones for keeping cool and a fish pond on the third story porch donā€™t hold that much appeal, to me at least. Believe it or not, the place still exists, but tours are by appointment only and at $25 a person. Interesting attraction oddity. Thanks!

#18 @ScoutingBear : sent a terrific addition for my bathroom humor collection. This show a giant redwood tree log, on its side, and hollowed out to be his and hers restrooms! From what I can determine, the place no longer exists, though a competitive object dā€™art has sprung up in the same town - Garborville, CA ā€“ which features a whole home drilled out of a redwood log. Thanks!

#20 @Triol: sent a whimsical cartoon illustration of Ichabod Crane racing his sorry horse across the Old North Church bridge in Sleep Hollow, just narrowly escaping the legendary Headless Horseman. Terrific new card of the classic story. Thanks!

#21 @BeachyBlonde: sent an amazing new addition to my cryptids collection ā€“ Mothman! And an illustrated Lantern Press card to boot! The most legendary cryptid in West Virginia, one town actually hosts a Mothman Museum and annual festival! If I wasnā€™t so scared of West Virginia itself, I would definitely go to this! Thanks!

#27 @Keket: sent the incredible ā€œWitches on the Sabbathā€ painting by Luis Ricardo Falero. Talk about empowering women! You donā€™t want to mess with this bunch! Very classy Halloween card, thanks!

#28 @TwoDoggies: sent a shot of hikers heading along Pico Peak in winter! The base of the mountain used to be along the Appalachian Trail until it was rerouted (with Vermontā€™s The Long Trail) in the ā€˜90s. Now there is their own Pico trail. Itā€™s in the Green Mountains and is part of the Killington Ski Resort. Nice shot. Thanks!

Okay, that closes out October for me. All cards received. Thanks!

In addition, all my Oct. cards have been mailedā€¦

You can view all these incoming October cards HEREā€¦

Rocky Road Trip #30

4 Likes

Checking in with a really nice card from:

#10~ @emotis~Thank you for this pretty card from Congaree National Park. A beautiful barred owl is on the front and I read about the Firefly Festival and Firefly Trail on the back. What a cute Frankenstein sticker! Thank you! Hopefully you will make it to the park on your next visit.

2 Likes

#20-Triol

I received today amazing card with map of USA from #6 @mikeyz1
Thank you so much,Mike for such beautiful card!!

1 Like

#13 with more cards from:

#1 @cawindt - What a great multi view showing Michigan Moods! I had no idea Paul Bunyan is from Michigan. So, thank you! My brother-in-law is a teacher and he and my brother could not come to Giulianaā€™s 4th birthday party last weekend as 11 students in his class were out having tested positive for Covid. This situation is just so stressful on so many levels. Take care of yourself.

#10 @emotis - Thank you for the LP Day of the Dead retro Halloween card. Actually, pretty good instruction on making a sugar skull! We generally average between 50 and 60 trick-or-treaters. Hoping itā€™s no more than that. We only bought 60 candy bars! Great washi and stickers!

#20 @Triol - Thank you for this very cute Halloween card! The witchā€™s stocking and shoe are fantastic and the tuxedo cat is cute! Thank you, too, for your good wishes. I love Autumn. Cute stickers!

#21 @Beachyblonde - Thank you for the card celebrating Autumn, my favorite season of the year. I feel weā€™ve been lucky with cooler weather with a day or two of warmer weather thrown in. You are brave. Dungarees on an 80 degree day would drive me crazy!

#28 @TwoDoggies - Thank you for the postcard celebrating World Postcard Day! Love the ghost sticker! October is a busy month for us with three family birthdays - my husband, daughter and granddaughter. Itā€™s one big party! Good luck closing out your business. I highly recommend retirement!

#29 @melvnoble - This card cracked me up and I am definitely putting it in my wedding traditions collection! Iā€™ve received one or two other postcards from the Awkward Americana series and they are just as funny. Nice washi! Thank you!

2 Likes

#17 received a cool card from

#28 @TwoDoggies a ā€œretroā€ style card, showing a blue butterfly and what I think is red peonies. Neat. Iā€™ve never heard of the book youā€™re reading (War Eternal). I like reading long books, but only when Iā€™m enjoying the story. Iā€™m reading a book now that is called ā€œA Thousand Miles from Nowhereā€. Itā€™s good. And in some ways the main character feels as if heā€™s almost like my alter-ego. I can identify with a lot of whatā€™s going in in the characterā€™s thoughts about things.

1 Like

#8 Shesa-Renegade received more postcards this week!!

#16 @CrimsonKing sends a wonderful card of the northern lights! I heard they were fabulous a few nights ago over Alaska. Oh, how I wish I was there. I agree that autumn is absolutely the best season!

#21 @Beachyblonde sent an adorable Happy Halloween card with gnomes on the front. Goodness gracious, but they are adorable!

#29 @melvnoble sends a beautiful art postcard of In the Orchard by Edmund Tarbell. Iā€™m with you that I donā€™t like scary things, either. I cannot watch scary movies at all. Love the Halloween stickers, washi, and stamp!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sends a fun Halloween card of Frankenstein and his bride. They say there is someone for everyone, right? haha great card!

Received: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30
To Receive: 1, 10, 20, 27, 28

2 Likes

#4 @jenhart has received:

#10 @emotis : a great black cat Lantern Press card from Salem. Iā€™m pretty much just into the treats too!

Thank you

1 Like

#7 checking in

#12 @teddypostcrossing - a happy harvest card with sunflowers and a scarecrow. Weā€™ve always had dogs and cats - even a couple hamsters when I was growing up.

#29 @melvnoble - A Red Note Fete on the Sands Ostend by Whistler with a Halloween stamp. I love autumn too.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - pretty poppies! We have marigolds around the veggie garden and I often spot bees taking afternoon naps on them.

2 Likes

#28 @TwoDoggies reporting:

#5 @carolreader I also sent the ā€œwrongā€ card to someone this month. Wrong being I had selected it for someone else thinking it was perfect for them but them whoops sent it to another. I still like the card you sent, West Virginia lightning in purple and pink tones.

#6 @mickeyz1 sent a shoe for my shoe collection. The cards youā€™ve sent are from a nice collection. Thanks for thinking of me! Did you make apple pie with your apple pickings?

#21 @Beachyblonde sent da Zombies! I have no idea why enjoy the Zombie theme so much. When The Walking Dead show first came out I waited for every episode with such excitement. Now, 10 years later, itā€™s in its last season and I still enjoy the show but no longer waiting breathlessly to see what happens. My main question now is after ten years how is it possible that these poor rotted zombies are still walking around. Shouldnā€™t they have fallen apart by now?

Thanks all and Happy Halloween.

1 Like

#23 @normajean reporting:

#10 @emotis sent a beautiful New England Fall scene by Lantern Press. Iā€™m enjoying my hot teas, but I do have the Fall scents throughout my home thanks to a gift bag full of candles, sprays and plug ins. I love how most of us in this RR love autumn! Your stamps and Charlie Brown Halloween stickers are great!

#20 @ Triol sent a beautiful Happy Autumn watercolor card with a butterfly enjoying flowers. Iā€™ll have to switch gears from watching butterflies to watching our wonderful variety of birds that pass through our area in the Fall. Thank you for the very nice stickers as well!

1 Like

Happy to report these two cards which arrived today:

#6 @mikeyz1 Great LP New Mexico Card of the Capulin Volcano National Monument. I havenā€™t been to NM in yearsā€¦ and weā€™ve never taken the kids. So weā€™ll add it to eh ever growing list.

#20 @Triol the Halloween Lou Paper card. I didnā€™t order any of these, and so am happy to have received one.

Thank you both!

To Receive: 27, 28, 29, 30

1 Like

#27 here. Received two cards today.

#6 @mikeyz1 a great black and white picture of Jimmy Stewart. I really enjoyed his movies growing up.
#20 @Triol a vintage Halloween card with two little girls and a GIANT pumpkin.

Thank you yā€™all

1 Like

Hello,

#20 @Triol~Thank you for the cute pin up card! Maybe she is making Halloween taffy or treats?! Looking forward to trick-r-treaters this year! The little ones have such cute costumes! Having the candy in the house is too tempting, especially if I buy chocolate!

1 Like

#17 received a funny card from:

#13 @ladybug513 a ā€œcartoonā€ style card. A little boy and his dog are happily leaving a postal drop box, caption: ā€œThis wise guy didnā€™t put any stamps on my postcards, but just slipped them in the box when no one was lookinā€™ā€. Yes, wish something like that would work. My grandfather, who was a postal carrier, MIGHT have gone ahead and put postage on cardsā€¦but probably only the first time. Your card finally arrive after having gotten ā€œstuckā€ to someone elseā€™s (donā€™r remember whose, now) and it got postmarked in Phoenixā€”I wish I could have been the one who took the trip to Arizonaā€¦but I might have gone to Flagstaff and never come back!!!

1 Like

#8 Shesa-Renegade received a wonderful Halloween-themed card today from @Triol. Those dressed-up hedgehogs are adorable! I hope that you are having a wonderful autumn, too. The leaves are just beginning to change here. Itā€™s lovely.

Received: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30
To Receive: 1, 10, 27, 28

1 Like

@jenhart Actually, #9 was sent from me!