[RR] North American February 2023 Round Robin - The My Heart Beats for Postcards Edition - Closed!

#17 has more cool received cards to report

#3 @Cruzin The 8-cent Love stamp (from 1973) as a postcard. Should I admit that I remember those stamps? Like the trio of notebook paper hole reinforcementsus. I’m not sure that I’ve forgotten to write a message, but HAVE forgotten to put postage on a card or two in a stack–good thing I often have them hand-cancelled

#6 @mikeyz1 Portuguese barbershop photo card. Wow, the walls and floor would make me dizzy. Photo is from 1990, but the place looks older. Neat that Rachel is cutting your hair, and your using that money saved as a “travel fund”. Neat vintage stamps

#10 @emotis Abraham Lincoln “did you know” card. Great info. I, too, remember having both Lincoln and Washington’s birthdays off for school.

#27 @beatriceh Valentine’s day card. Bunches of red hearts on a black background. Vintage stamps–including a love stamp I don’t ever remember seeing. The books you are reading sound interesting. I’ve been working through a stack of mysteries–CJ Box, Nevada Barr, Margaret Truman, and also some David Baldacci. Nothing too challenging.

#30 @RockyRoadTrip “The sick before the grotto” at Lourdes, France. When I see pictures like this, I don’t know how to react–and usually end up being sort of sad, that people have gone through everything else to get better, and this is their last hope, maybe. And that I don’t think that I’d ever have that kind of faith. Like the stickers on the back too

2 Likes

Several more awesome cards arrived over the last couple of days. Big thanks to:

#2 @CrimsonKing for the cool “Amour” card. I’m wondering if that’s a hotel? Although, I’d be a bit concerned about the clientele at a place called the Hotel d’Amour! :laughing: We typically don’t do anything special on Valentine’s day as we firmly believe in doing nice things for one another all year long.

#4 @jenhart for the fabulous Biden card. It’s a really good portrait! Thank you for sharing with me. We get a four day weekend as well! It’s kind of sad though, because if we had had school today, it would have been a snow day. :laughing:

#15 @AccentOnHakes for the great Paso Robles card. I can’t wait for next month, either!

#23 @suatelier for the truthful Valentine’s card. :laughing: How can you go wrong with discounted chocolate?? Love the Canadian Pacific stamp!

#27 @beatriceh for the nice Valentine’s card. Sounds like you celebrate the Leslie Knope inspired, “Galentine’s” Day :slight_smile: We don’t do anything special…other than avoiding eating out that day.

3 Likes

Updated!

#29 - One postcard to report!

#14 @dnrhott - Thank you Delia for this postcard of the West Front of Monticello! The flowers do look very pretty. I look forward to the flowers blooming this spring! :sunflower:

1 Like

#15 lots to report!

@jenhart #4 Beautiful Toronto card. Enjoy your upcoming cruise!
@jacieslar #16 Love this Yellowstone card! I had no idea it had inspired music, but it shouldn’t surprise me.
@LaurenceB #18 A medical center card for my map! I love this! Thank you for the sticker, I have many of those thoughts as well…
@Sunshein #21 I love this handmade card! Hope all works out for you and you get to live in an exciting (new?) place!
@uconn #22 Lock Museum of America. Hmmm, interesting. Maybe worth a stop next time when you are bored?
@suatelier #23 Cute vintage Valentine’s pun! I worked 11a-8p on Valentine’s Day, probably ate some leftovers from the fridge and then went to bed. I don’t remember…but I do remember I got a lot of free food that day! I got a free chicken sandwich for lunch, then someone brought in cookies, and at the end of my shift someone brought in chocolate covered strawberries! So I guess I kind of celebrated?
@sarahaeyo #26 Adorable Sriracha valentine’s card! I hope you survived the cold weekend! We had unseasonable warmth up into the 60s, but with rain.
@beatriceh #27 Cute Galentine’s Day card! Naps with the cats sound great, though losing that time can certainly be frustrating.
@TwoDoggies #28 Thank you for the hearts and fun educational poem.
@RockyRoadTrip #30 Interesting card. Casibari Rock in Aruba which has bouldering…and according to Google Maps public restrooms right next door, very luxurious! Curious about the baked bananas recipe on the back of the card, didn’t seem related at all.

6 Likes

#25 reporting

From #1 @cawindt thank you for beautiful Black History Month postcard showing Ms Loretta Lynch whom served in the Obama Administration.
Brave, Black, First.Great postage stamps.

From #10 @emotis thank you for the “Did You Know?” Postcard detailing the Louisiana Superdome.
Great postage especially the Medal of Honor stamp.

From #11 @Hazygirl thanks for the Large Letter postcard for Long Island New York. I love that you said you live near the needle.

#25 reporting

From #12 @Yarn-Lady thank you for the absolutely gorgeous Oregon Rhododendrons. Such a pretty postcard. Brightened my day!

From #13 @ladybug513 thanks for the postcard from the National Museum of Natural History showing a Diplodocus and Tyrannosaurus Rex. Such a cool postcard. I love the motorcycle postage stamp.

From #17 @YOIYUMTEWA wow! You were kind enough to send me 2 postcards. First was of Thurgood Marshal - Black Heritage whom was a famed civil rights lawyer. Then the second postcard was of #28 Ernie Irvans NASCAR car. Thanks

1 Like

#20 Triol
I sent today all my cards!

1 Like

Much gratitude to @jenhart (#4) for a beautiful, painted view (my favorite) of Charleston. I grew up in TN but weirdly never made it to SC. I hope they get themselves organized around ADA soon… it should be an absolute priority. It is a priority for me in my own job, especially as a person with a disability myself.

I so love this penguin from @melvnoble (#29)! So much personality in that little friend! And I might even pilfer the video game sticker from the back of the card because I adore it. :wink:

2 Likes

#22 uconn

#14 @dnrhott many years since I’ve been to Atlantic City myself. Thanks!

#18 @LaurenceB
I’ll enjoy watching a bad movie, if it’s too bad I can fall asleep.
Thanks for this card and stamps

#29 @melvnoble now I have Bob Marley song in my head :joy:
Thanks for this card

1 Like

#17 reporting in with 2 more cool cards

#4 @jenhart Illustrated map card of Florida, the sunshine state. I always liked these kinds of maps when I was growing up. Still do. If I ever decide to move again, it will be to Arizona or New Mexico.

#29 @melvnoble picture card of Buffalo Soldier, Captain Charles Young, West Point, 1889. Yes, the Park Service info about him is superb. In addition to his Army service (posthumously promoted to Brigadier General in 1923), he also served as a superintendent of Sequoia National Park in California

#25 reporting two more postcards

From #18 @LaurenceB thank you for the vintage South of the Border postcard showing “Pedro’s famous restaurant on interstate 95. I love the origami washi tape and the Rick Hansen postage stamp.

From #19 @ellistrations sent a fun 2023 Happy New Year postcard. Believe it or not, this is my first 2023 postcard. Great washi tape and nice variety of postage stamps. Thanks

2 Likes

#19 received

#14 @dnrhott - thank you! I love the new elephant stamps. I can’t resist anything animal related that comes out, haha! Beautiful card, too.

#29 @melvnoble - thank you! Punny cards are too fun! I really don’t miss dating either, haha! It was always so awkward. I am so happy to be settling in with my fiancée! Still getting used to saying that. We’ve known each other for over a decade now, so that definitely helps. Without him, I don’t think I’d bother with dating these days, just be content on my own with my fur babies.

2 Likes

#11 hazygirl received
#29 @melvnoble sent a great B &W Buffalo Soldiers card. Thank you.

1 Like

#27 @beatriceh reporting

#1 @cawindt Thanks for the lovely G. Brooks card. A highschool named after her opened shortly before it was time for me to go so I always remember her link to Chicago.

#5 @carolreader Thanks for the Shakespeare(ish) :slight_smile: card. I always laugh at those “are you 21?” Screens. Does anyone select no?

#7 @scoutingbear This card reminds me of Fahrenheit 451. It’s great! I always feel that way too. I have a great selection until someone lists something I don’t have.

#8 @shesa-renegade Thank you for the Chicago card. I was once on a plane with an entire class of new sailors. All of their parents were in our waiting area at O’hare. Some were crying. It was so sweet.

#11 @hazygirl I love the dyed river! And yes, there’s morning traffic, lunchtime traffic, and rush hour traffic. You should really only drive between the hours of 8:30pm and 5:00am.

#13 @ladybug513 I had not known that! I have to think at least one person was distracted :slight_smile:. Thank you!

#15 @AccentonHakes I love this series! These birds are my spirit animals :wink:

#16 @jacieslar Thanks for the hearts card. I wish we would have done something as altruistic as decorating cookies for people at a shelter. We just traded candy between ourselves.

#17 @yoiyumtewa Thanks for the lovely book card. And that’s how I would file it. Pelican is so overwhelming.

#18 @laurenceB what an adorable card! I really like the stacking and interior view. I hope you’re staying warm.

3 Likes

#24 received:

#1 @cawindt is celebrating black history month by sending a lovely card featuring August Fells Savage. We’ve been having a lot of black history events at work this month - the stories are fascinating.

#5 @carolreader sent a new potato card for my collection. It always amazes me that potato postcards even exist! :slight_smile:

#7 @cstar9 sent a card showcasing some lovely colourful houses and their doors and windows

#8 @Shesa-Renegade sent a great card of the Hollywood sign. I really want to get back there for a visit some day. Good luck with the job hunt!

#10 @emotis sent a sweet illustrated card with some well known Chinese things - like those adorable panda bears!

#19 @ellistrations sent a great Lantern Press typography card of Las Vegas

#21 @Sunshein sent some cacti in a lightning storm in Saguaro National Park. Mother Nature can sure put on a show.

#26 @sarahaeyo sent a wonderful Travelodge Motel card from Rutland Vermont. The coffee shop hours are a little silly… luckily there is a gourmet restaurant nearby

#28 @TwoDoggies sent a really sweet square postcard featuring an illustration of a VW camper. It’s so adorable!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sent an awesome Sex Pistols card. Yeah I pretty much thought Johnny had lost his mind when I read about Eurovision. Subscribed to whatever streaming service it was that had the Pistol series on it - it was okay. I actually didn’t like it as much as I though I would. Not enough Sid in it!

Thanks to all for your wonderful choices!

5 Likes

@mikeyz1 #6 Thank you for Harrisburg, PA! Always fun to see what different Capitol buildings look like.
@dnrhott #14 Thanks for Mulholland Point Lighthouse! Thank you very much.
@melvnoble #29 Buttons honoring the March on Washington. Thank you!

February 2023 NARR

Report 4 from: Rocky Road Trip #30

Two more to report this week:

#14 @Dnrhott: sent great map card of Massachusetts. Colorful and filled with little images including state bird, flower, and seal. From a publisher I haven’t heard of before: Schellmark Inc. in NJ. Upon doing a little more investigating, I found a interesting NY Times article from 1992 on this company which is still doing business today as The Postcard Source. Great stuff. Thanks!

#27 @BeatriceH: sent a funny card asking us if we’ve tried rebooting the country by turning it off and then back on! Oh, if it were only THAT easy. No, I’m afraid it’s going to take a revolution of sorts. Unfortunately, all of the gun nuts who should be fighting the powers that be are busy targeting us! Crazy time. Thanks for the laugh!

You can view all these February postcards HERE.

All my outgoing Feb cards have been mailed.

Anticipating: 9, 20, 25, 29

Rocky Road Trip #30

2 Likes

#19 received

#10 @emotis - thank you! A box set of gnome postcards would be super cute and I know I would buy at least one.

1 Like

#4 received:

#9 @volvomom : vintage Valentine’s Wishes. Your pipes! We’ve had 2 pipes burst/leak this year so I feel for you - it does so much damage!

#29 @melvnoble : great Pittsburgh woodcut card. I agree - this is a great style if you can find more!

Thank you1

2 Likes