[RR] North American February 2023 Round Robin - The My Heart Beats for Postcards Edition - Closed!

#8 Shesa-Renegade checking in with a LOT of wonderful cards. It’s 1/4 of the way through the academic semester, so it’s been crazy busy with grading.

SO. MUCH. GRADING.

#2 @CrimsonKing sends a Valentine’s card with hearts and roses. I am heading out with some of my gal pals for dinner and a movie. We are going to see the 25th anniversary of the movie Titanic tonight!

#3 @Cruzin sends a handmade card! You are really so good at these cards, Lori! The wax seals made it on both the envelope and the card inside.

#5 @carolreader sends a card of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera for my passion them. Hubba hubba!! I have not read The Lacuna, but it is now on my Goodreads list!

#6 @mikeyz1 sends a card of a book reader standing on the base of a light post for my passion theme. This is such a great image! I am so excited to hear that you are working on a new paper. I just submitted one before Christmas to the Journal of Geoscience Education and am working on another one right now for Palaios that I expect to finish this summer. A colleague in Europe is working on some SEM images of the fossils. I’m pushing myself to write more - full professor is only a couple of years away.

#7 @CStar9 sends a fun tea collage postcard that she made! I love how you have celebrated the Earth and those that love it. I went last night to a talk at the Clinton Library that was given by Dr. Douglas Brinkley. He has put out a new book about the environmental movement of the 1960s called Silent Spring Revolution. Rachel Carson is a hero of mine and I simply couldn’t miss this talk.

#10 @emotis sends a fun facts card about sloths! Moths in their fur…icky…but they are so darn adorable!

#11 @Hazygirl sends a tropical beach scene card.$10.99 for a dozen eggs? faint Do you have a Trader Joe’s nearby? They are $2.99 a dozen there.

#13 @ladybug513 sends a Norweigian traditional dress card of bridal dresses. Those crowns look heavy! What a great tradition though.

#14 @dnrhott sends a wonderful Brazilian plume flower illustration. I can tell you that anything in education is hard, but it is so worth it. Thank you for being a helper! We need awesome people like you.

#16 @jacieslar sends a card of the National Park of American Samoa. Gorgeous! I would visit there for sure. You are right about travel. I just booked another cruise for the end of my academic semester. I can’t wait!

#17 @YOIYUMTEWA sends a Women in Science card of Valentina Tereshkova, the first woman in space! I would absolutely go to the moon. I’m already packed!

#18 @LaurenceB sends an adorable illustrated sloth!!! Seeing the sloths was one of the highlights of my vacation. There needs to be more sloth postcards in my life!

#19 @ellistrations Special shout out here because she has sent me a fun envelope of blank postcards! This is a fun way that you have challenged yourself. How many have you had to send out so far? I just bought 15 new postcards yesterday. My favorite local spot appears to be getting rid of their local postcards. i don’t know where I will get some for the town I live in.

#21 @Sunshein sends a handmade Valentine card! I love it!! Arizona is a state that I haven’t explored much. I really need to visit and spend a couple of weeks. The problem is that I am essentially forced to travel in the summer because I teach, and Arizona is blistering hot during the summer. Maybe I need to think about May instead.

#22 @uconn sends a recipe card for seafood gumbo! I really need to try this recipe. It sounds delicious and I don’t think that I have ever had gumbo.

#23 @suatelier sends a 75% off chocolate day card for my passion theme! February 15th is tomorrow! See you at the store!!

#26 @sarahaeyo sends a sweet card “May all your days be filled with joy.” You wrote that it was chilly where you were and that you were snuggled under a blanket. I was just thinking that I needed to get under a blanket, too. It is cold and rainy here tonight. I am going to the movies soon and I am taking a small throw with me because I get chilly in the theaters.

#28 @TwoDoggies sends a funny card about priests playing tennis for my passion theme! This is great!! I think my challenges are challenging because there are so many different interpretations, but that is what makes it so fun for me is seeing just how everyone interprets the same thing.

Received: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 26, 28
Excited for: 4, 9, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 30

9 Likes

#2 reporting

#3 @Cruzin sent a heart shaped moon, thank you Lori! My dad has been getting plenty of snow lately, are you getting a lot of rain?

#6 @mikeyz1 sent stained glass art of “Peonies in the Wind,” thank you Mike! I want spring as well, and tomorrow’s temperature will be 61 degrees, yay. I just may trim back my rose bushes, I didn’t do it before winter hit, lol.

#13 @ladybug513 sent a vintage Valentine, thank you Susan! Wow, four days of eating out and celebrating birthdays, that’s awesome and filling. Bet it was all delicious though!

#15 @AccentOnHakes sent me a Pasty recipe card, thank you Karen! It looks good and warming to the soul on a chilly day, such as today, haha. If they gave the dough some claws, it’d look like a crab. :crab: :grin:

#21 @Sunshein sent a boat with cool graffiti on it, thank you Mora! You should post your finished cross stitches in the Hobbies section of the forum. I’ll have to look into the game apps you suggested, love colors. :blush:

#23 @suatelier sent a vintage Valentine, thank you Charlotte! My husband cooks most nights, I’m lucky in that regard, hehe. Tonight it’s steaks, potatoes and a salad, perfect.

#26 @sarahaeyo sent a Minions Valentine, thank you Sarah! We usually stay in the night of St. Valentine’s Day, we’re not huge on crowds, or we go out the week before or after when it’s a bit more quiet and settled. Happy early Birthday to you!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sent a bacon Valentine’s, thank you Rocky! :bacon: Bacon is delicious and would be tickled to receive it as a gift, haha! We’re having steak tonight, yum!

Thank you everyone!! HAPPY ST. VALENTINE’S DAY TO ALL!!
:cupid: :heart: :cupid:

4 Likes

Haha! I bought 8 cards, so have sent out 20 postcards because of it. :rofl: The more I buy, the tougher it will be to give up these cards, but it’s a nice challenge for myself. Hold me accountable and makes others happy at the same time. Who knows, there may be another headed your waybin the future.

1 Like

#29 - One postcard to report!

#24 @roxy - Thank you Brenda for this recipe card for Kentucky Mint Julep! I also am not a drinker, and I’m not a big fan of mint, so I don’t think I’d enjoy this one! :laughing: It also seems like a lot of work. On the stove for 40 minutes then let sit overnight to cool and strain all the bits out. I’d rather have something ready-made with no work at all! :rofl:

February 2023 NARR

Report 3 from: Rocky Road Trip #30

#02 @CrimsonKing: sent a Mexican Figuritas card of El Corazon that works just as well for Valentine’s Day. I had seen these types of card before but didn’t realize they were part of Mexico’s Loteria, a form of Bingo where you match images instead of numbers. Nice World’s Largest Mailbox cancellation stamp, too. Oh, and no pizza and chocolate. Just the chocolate on VD. Thanks!

#05 @CarolReader: sent a terrific shot of Tinker’s Creek Waterfalls at Cleveland’s Viaduct Park, which features glimpses of the old grist and saw mills that use to harness the power of the cascading waters. That’s what I like about these State and local metro park postcards. They point out the attractions that are within our reach, but often overlooked. Seems like you’ve become a fan of this location. Nice find. Let me know what you think of Babel. Thanks!

#24 @Roxy: sent a beautiful silhouette shot of The Hand of God from Swedish sculptor Carl Milles as a tribute to the precision measuring of industrial parts by an early Swedish entrepreneur. I feel there is a New Order song somewhere in here! Thanks!

You can view all these February postcards HERE.

All my outgoing Feb cards have been mailed.

Rocky Road Trip #30,

1 Like

Updated!

#3 received

#5 @carolreader Whisky card!! Perfect timing - Scottish FIL here who had a great time explains all the different types on this card!

#10 @emotis awesome collage work to make a sunflower!! Yes, I take more notice now and think of Ukraine whenever I see one!

#15 @AccentOnHakes love this card! Definitely leaning towards getting another cat…

#16 @jacieslar yikes! The dogs nails! Ours does 5 walks a day and that keeps them trimmed!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip perfect card for February! Happy Anniversary!

Thank you all for the great cards, words, stamps and flair!

1 Like

#13 reporting cards from:

#1 @cawindt - Celebrating Black History Month with a card of Katherine Johnson, an American mathematician whose calculations of orbital mechanics as a NASA scientist were critical to the success of the first and subsequent U.S. crewed spaceflights. During her 33-year career at NASA , she earned a reputation for mastering complex manual calculations and helped pioneer the use of computers to perform the tasks. Thank you!

#2 @CrimsonKing - Thank you very much for the Chineasy ladybug card which warns us to be careful when you see this character on a restaurant menu. It means bug! Love the mailbox ink stamp!

#5 @carolreader - Thank you for the Portrait of a Lady in Black who is holding a fan! I like this painting very much. I can’t really say that we’ve had bitterly cold weather lately. It’s been mostly in the 40’s and today it is in the 60’s (which I think you are having, too?). I feel time is going quickly and it will be Spring before we know it!

#6 @mikeyz1 - Where the Wild Things Are! Thank you for this great addition to my Children’s Book Illustrations! One of our granddaughters LOVES monsters and has quite a collection of stuffed ones. This last week she ran high temps over 5 days and finally broke out in a rash - she had Scarlet Fever! Strep is all over the place down here, too.

#7 @CStar9 - Thank you for the great Red Riding Hood illustration from the Eric Carle Museum. We visited there a few years ago when we were in the area for a family wedding. I should have bought more postcards! To answer your question, I do not paint, but my brother does. He’s actually quite good!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade - Thank you, thank you for the polar bear card for our youngest granddaughter! It is her sister for whom I am requesting dragon cards which in turn brought about the request for polars bears. She will be thrilled. I have an album on order for her. I hope the weather is better now!

#12 @Yarn-Lady - Thank you for this very cute Year of the Rabbit postcard. It sounds like you get very involved! I would expect there are celebrations in Philadelphia’s Chinatown, but we’ve never really checked it out. Something to consider for next year!

#15 @AccentOnHakes - Nice colorful mushrooms! Thank you! I can’t say we’ve ever participated in a hotpot dinner. Sounds like it would be fun! Back in the day, it was fondue!

#16 @jacieslar - “Heart of Joy” by DonnaBellasAngels.org which promotes free inspirational art that is distributed to patients and caregivers dealing with chronic and terminal illnesses. Thank you! It’s so very colorful!

#18 @LaurenceB - Thank you so very much for the Polar Bear from the Aquarium du Québec and for the cute notecard and sticker you enclosed! I’m looking forward to more polar bears. Our granddaughter will be so excited! She has an extensive collection of stuffed polar bears, not to mention clothing! I got her a stuffed bear for Christmas which is taller than she is - loves it!

#19 @ellistrations - Campbell’s Tomato Soup! A favorite in this house made with milk, a dash of sour cream, meatballs and potatoes! It dates back to my childhood at my grandmother’s. I haven’t done so in a long time, but I’ve also made chicken with cream of mushroom soup. Thanks for reminding me!

#21 @Sunshein - Thank you for El Morro National Monument in New Mexico and for the Valentine wish! What an interesting history of people leaving inscriptions in the sandstone with the earliest surviving one left by Juan de Oñate the first Spanish governor of the colony of Santa Fe de Nuevo México dated April 16, 1605. Love learning something new!

#23 @suatelier - Thank you so much for the beautiful Valentine card. Rather than roses, my husband gives me red and/or pink carnations for the day, so this card is very appropriate! It’s been chilly here rather than very cold. Personally, I wish it would snow! Love the insect postage stamps!

#26 @sarahaeyo - Yum, Aunt Mary’s Strawberry Cake recipe! Thank you! Great addition to the collection! As I mentioned above, it’s been chilly here rather than bitterly cold. Today is sunny and in the 60’s. I heard someone predicting cold weather and snow in March. We shall see. Love the cherry washi!

#27 @beatriceh - Happy Galentine’s Day! I love it! Such a cute card! Thank you! Yes, dragons and polar bears, not to mention Snoopy and Pinocchio. The girls are always so excited when I’m able to add a postcard to their albums. Where did you get the Snoopy washi? It’s great!

7 Likes

#4 has received:

#15 @AccentOnHakes : Salt Lake Tabernacle - it’s a one-of-a-kind place! And, liquid all the way. I use bar in the shower but hand soap is liquid all the way.

#18 @LaurenceB : amazing illustration in honor of the legalization of same-sex marriage in the USA :heart: :rainbow_flag: I hate being cold in the house … but I am also very cheap :laughing:

#26 @sarahaeyo : rows of pride hearts :heart: I hope your weather has gotten warmer!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip : view from Martinique. This is one of the islands on my bucket list - I could practice my atrocious French :laughing:

Thank you!

4 Likes

Etsy! Glad you like it.

#11 hazygirl received

#10 @emotis a most excellent Hurricane card. I could use a few of those after today!!!

Good Day everyone!

All of my postcards were mailed today from Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada :canada:

From #25 @harleygirl73

#22 uconn

#4 @jenhart sign me up for that dip. :grinning: I didn’t care who won the Superbowl, but I watched it all
Thanks for this cool skeleton card.

#6 @mikeyz1 thanks for this Gauguin art and old stamps.

#24 @roxy a fun Love Uncensored card. Love the stamps too
Thanks

#6 reporting that all of my cards are in the mail, with my last batch in tomorrow’s email. I’ve got many, many adorable cards to report and will start doing it tomorrow.

#6 reporting

#1 @cawindt sent me a great Shirley Chisholm card!!! I saw a great documentary about here a while back

#2 @CrimsonKing sent a sweet neon in love card!!!

#5 @carolreader sent a fun mural card!!!

#7 @CStar9 sent a fascinating photo card of a tree! It’s great!!!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade sent an awesome MLK quote card!

#11 @Hazygirl sent an awesome card of a portrait photo with a pineapple spear on it. Really funny!!!

#12 @Yarn-Lady sent a great Biden-Harris card!

#13 @ladybug513 sent berries!!!

#14 @dnrhott sent a great NC Wyeth painting. I love his work!!!

#15 @AccentOnHakes sent a great copy of Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address

#16 @jacieslar sent a Arizona State Museum card!

#17 @YOIYUMTEWA sent a clamming card. Cool for my work collection!

#18 @LaurenceB sent a fun old map card!

#19 @ellistrations sent a great LP Starry Night scene of NYC!

#21 @Sunshein sent a great homemade VDay card!!! And thank you for sharing that story!!!

#22 @uconn sent a post office and courthouse from Virginia

#23 @suatelier sent a fun vintage Valentines Day card

#26 @sarahaeyo sent a great Statue of LIberty card

I love all these cards! And I’ve got more to report. Thank you all!

10 Likes

#23 reporting

#2 @CrimsonKing thank you for the LP Crater Lake card! I also agree with wanting to go everywhere but the lack of funds stopping me. I really want to go on a cruise to Alaska but…ha.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade thank you for the LP Starry Night card! Oh, my flickr is cards I already have, thanks for asking! And thank you for this one which I don’t have yet.

#17 @YOIYUMTEWA thank you for 2 vintage cards again! Restaurants (or food in general) is definitely a reason why I would visit a particular place

#24 @roxy thank you for the Peggy’s Cove card! I’m jealous, I’ve never been but I hope to this year when I visit Nova Scotia!

1 Like

#6 reporting

#3 @Cruzin sent me another CA County Courthouse! I’m amazed there are still some out there!!!

#4 @jenhart sent a Florida map! And thanks about the note of your job! That’s wonderful!

#10 @emotis sent a fun sunflower collage card! I loved hearing your sunflower stories!!!

#28 @TwoDoggies sent an awesome Gandhi quote card about Tyrants falling!!!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip sent me a great vintage Picasso painting card! I love it!!!

1 Like

#11 Hazygirl reporting
#4 @jenhart sent an awesome mermaid card. Love it!
#14 @dnrhott sent Pluto & Goofy with an adorable sloth sticker

1 Like

#22 uconn

#10 @emotis thanks for this cemetery card. Cool historic spot

#19 received

#2 @CrimsonKing - thank you! We had some Chinese takeout for dinner, then had a nice homemade cacciatore the next day with brownies and ice cream, yum!

#3 @Cruzin - thank you! is your printer fixed? I thought it was so neat to see the Postcrossing logo printed on all your cards. Not sure I’d be able to make that work properly, haha!

#21 @Sunshein - thank you! Our weather will be warmer for a week then cold the next with some rain, then back to warm… it’s a roller coaster of temperatures here. Today was a perfect day, so I was able to just spend some time on the patio.

3 Likes