[RR] North American February 2023 Round Robin - The My Heart Beats for Postcards Edition - Closed!

I served over 7 years, while my husband did 21+ years. Together we had 4 peace-keeping missions and 4 combat missions. We’re done with active military service, but my spouse works for Department of the Army as a civilian employee, which lets us move. We tried the civilian route for a while, but missed the moving and exploring of new parts of the world.

2 Likes

School ends for summer break in May here in AZ. Keep in mind that we experience monsoon season (officially June 15 - September 30, but Mother Nature does what she wants).
It also depends on where you want to go in AZ. Average summer temps (Jun-Aug) in Phoenix are 105F, but in Flagstaff it’s only an average of 69F.
Lately April and May have been way warmer than the average, with humidity levels around 5-10%. This has led to tourists dying of heat related injuries, mainly because you hardly sweat and people don’t realize how intense the heat is.
The desert is at it’s prettiest at the end of monsoon / shortly after monsoon season, so September and early October are great travel months.

Here the offical verdict on May weather: May Weather | Arizona State Climate Office.

1 Like

#23 reporting

#4 @jenhart thank you for the Charleston view card! I didn’t watch the super bowl but I did go on YT to find Rihanna’s ASL translator! She’s so cool

#25 @HarleyGirl73 thank you for the Vegreville Pysanka card! I always find these huge statues hilarious - like the perogy one also in AB. Definitely need to visit that province one day

#30 @RockyRoadTrip thank you for the Aruba card! Now to buy some rum to make that recipe

1 Like

#6 reporting

#29 @melvnoble sent a great photo card of Andy Warhol and Jean-Michel Basquiat. You should go to the Warhol Museum! It’s fascinating. I’ve been there a couple of times and come away inspired by the creativity and playfulness of Andy Warhol!

1 Like

Second update by #21:

#2 @CrimsonKing - “Beddgelert, North Wales, United Kingdom” by Sue Firth - very pretty painting of a Welsh town, though why the Casey, Illinois Post Office post marked the message is beyond my understanding

#4 @jenhart - a great Florida map - I’m with you on the whole Disney experience

#10 @emotis - Ohio map - I ended up looking up the number of counties in OH, as they seemed so small compared to AZ - the average Ohio county is 465 sq miles, while in AZ the average is 7,576 sq miles. This led me down more rabbit holes, but I won’t bore you with my findings :slight_smile:

#14 @dnrhott - Strawberry Lake in 1983, photographed by Acynthis Sanford - I learned a lot about geology in the last two years and this fits right in, as the lake was formed after the erosion of a stratovolcanic eruption millions of years ago.

#18 @LaurenceB - Portuegese woman’s costume painted by Alberto Jouzz in 1931 - heh, we complain when we get a “hard freeze” weather warning and it drops to -6C. I already told my husband I would not travel to Canada outside of the summer. Did you have a lot of damage from the pipes freezing? (thanks for the great stamps)

#23 @suatelier - vintage Valentine’s Day card with fabulous stamps - it’s actually snowed several times in February, so unusual. Temperatures can’t decide if they want to be in the 20Cs or down below 0C.

#24 @roxy - more flags! All of Canada’s provinces, territories and their capital flags along with fabulous stamps. Do you have a stamp for the weather or do you print it?

#29 @melvnoble - thank you for the Buffalo Soldier’s card from Washintong. It was a new base to me and my spouse, so we’ll be doing more research. We’d already planned on visiting the Buffalo Soldier museum on Fort Huachuca. As for Valentine’s Day: my husband declared years ago that my romantic bone is in my ear, but I remembered to get him a gift this year. Did you do anything special?

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - Arkansas’ flag - I concur that it’s not very interesting visually, but most flags aren’t . The histories behind them are usually far more interesting. Have you seen the Turkemenistan flag? It’s the most elaborate one I’ve ever seen.

Still expecting: #9, 20, 25, and 27

3 Likes

@Sunshein I’m glad you like the card. :slight_smile: The reason the Casey, IL marked it that way was because of how I put it into the machine to be postmarked. You just slip the card into the box, but you cannot see how it gets postmarked so it was a guessing game on my part. :blush:

1 Like

#25 reporting.

From #8 @Shesa-Renegade sent a lovely Lantern Press card for Charlotte North Carolina. This postcard definitely has a Valentines theme. Great heart stickers and washi tape. Thanks.

From #16 @jacieslar I really like the Billy The Kid sepia portrait postcard. This is the only authenticated picture of him. Such lovely washi tape and stickers for valentines. Thanks.

3 Likes

#17 received cool card from

#20 @Triol a cute little gray marmot. I’m ready for spring, too, even though the winter here hasn’t been that bad

1 Like

Two more cards arrived in my mailbox after the long weekend. Thank you to:

#10 @emotis for the fabulous sunflower collage card. I love this!! I need to check out her other cards.

#20 @Triol for the adorable cat card. Love the stickers, too!

#25 reporting

From #21 @Sunshein sent a picturesque postcard showing the Double Arch at Arches National Park. Sounds like your road trip last year would of been awesome. That’s cool your godparents live in Edmonton. Thanks.

From #23 @suatelier your singing cat postcard brightened my day! Great washi tape, and I’m happy to get Canada postage sent to me on the postcards. Thank you

1 Like

#25 reporting.

From #24 @roxy thank you for sending a veterans postcard that I had marked in my favourites. These mean a lot to me as my father, brother and brother in law all served in Canada Military and served in peace keeping missions. #veteran Thank you.

From #26 @sarahaeyo sent a big letter postcard greetings from Boston. I love the scalloped edge and how B O S T O N is spelled out on the back for what each letter is showing. Such fun postage stamps. Thanks

2 Likes

The Postal Museum will amuse you with the history of mail. Different types of mail boxes of the world well kept even anthrax mail were shown.

#2 reporting

#4 @jenhart sent a beautiful TS card, thank you Jennifer! Love these cards. :blush: I cannot wait for Spring to arrive, I have some bulbs to plant, various kinds, I forget the names though, haha. Hurry up Spring! :smiley:

#9 @volvomom sent a Valentine’s card, thank you Kristin! My winter hasn’t been too crazy, thankfully, hehe. Yes, celebrate love and friendship all year, I agree!

#10 @emotis sent a Pantone, thank you Erin! Yep, snacks make up the day on Super Bowl Sunday, a bunch of salty goodness on the tongue, yum! :yum: What snacks were made at your house?

#20 @Triol sent a Valentine’s, thank you Olga! I like the dresses from this era, but wouldn’t want to wear it all day every day, that’s too much work, haha. I’m waiting for Spring too! :tulip:

#27 @beatriceh sent a Valentine’s card, thank you Charisse! I think each year goes by faster and faster, unless you’re at work, then time crawls, haha! No fun plans for the month, just taking it easy and watching the tv series “Yellowstone.”

#29 @melvnoble sent buttons, thank you Mel! Thank you for birthday wishes! :birthday: How can the song “Jeepers Creepers” be romantic, especially after the horror film? Haha! Wow, no thanks, hehe. :laughing: I do like the card though. :slight_smile:

Thank you everyone!
:heart: :cupid: :smiley:

3 Likes

#9 Volvomom reporting in with received cards!

#1 @cawindt Great Mary McLeod Bethune card. I like how you incorporated the card with Black History Month - great idea! Love your stamps, as always!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade Super quote card! I miss Valentine’s Day cards like in elementary school, too.

#11 @Hazygirl What a gorgeous dahlia from your garden! I’m inspired now for spring to arrive!

#12 @Yarn-Lady Thank you for a goldfish card! This is so cool! I’m going to put it right near their tank! Believe it or not, my twins will be 23 in August!

#13 @ladybug513 Wow! Another goldfish card…with kittens! Perfect! Happy belated birthday! It sounds like you had a great weekend with family!

#17 @YOIYUMTEWA Yes! Two of my favorite things as well - cats and books! This cat looks just like my Vicki cat, so it’s extra special.

#18 @LaurenceB So awesome! Foxes, foxes, foxes - even with the stamp and washi tape! I’m glad you were able to take a virtual walk in Chelmsford! :slight_smile: I’ll send you some locations to check out virtually!

#19 @ellistrations Oh, this Mickey Valentine is so precious! My dad loved Disney so very much, so any Disney card I receive makes me smile! Hope you get back to the Magic Kingdom soon!

#21 @Sunshein Dead Horse Point - Gosh, I want to see this in person one day! Your calligraphy on my name and address was magnificent!

Thanks to all for making my crappy month happy! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

#9 has #7 and 8 already for tomorrow! More to come!

#19 received

#20 @Triol - thank you! This is so sweet. Welcome back, I have missed you!

18 reporting

2 @CrimsonKing Thank you so much Les for the cutest little Valentines squirrel!!! I love it!! Haha unfortunately we are not strong on Valentines day celebrations :laughing: Kids were especially excited that day, I think they might have eaten too much chocolate at daycare :stuck_out_tongue: Hope you had a wonderful bday :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

10 @emotis Thank you so much for the May We Fly bird!!! These cards are awesome, aren’t they?? I’m just like you, I love to discover new artists when reading profiles :yum: Thank you for sending me one :smiley: We are huge fans of cardinals here too, we have lots of them as well.

1 Like

#8 Shesa-Renegade reporting in with two received cards!

#20 @Triol sends a great card of Princess Kate with baby Charlotte on her christening day. So lovely.

#29 @melvnoble sends a card that reminds us to stop racism at home. Studying history is so important these days! Great fit for my passion theme!

Received: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 28, 29, 30
Excited for: 9, 24, 25, 27

We got a heart-shaped pizza! Keeping it simple :smiley:

#29 - Two postcards to report!

#6 @mikeyz1 - Thank you Mike for this postcard from the Pierre Hotel! The scene looks gorgeous! I agree that it would be the perfect backdrop to an old Hollywood film. It was so nice and warm for February, but today it was colder and icy so we shall see what the rest of winter has in store!

#10 @emotis - Thank you Erin for this Winter Lou Paper postcard! I love the sassy pug sticker! I could stay at a winter cabin like on this card, so long as it has electricity and all the amenities! I am not interested in going in for a difficult camping or cabin experience! :laughing:

1 Like