[RR] North American April 2022 Round Robin - The Make Postcards, Not War Edition - Closed!

#19 recieved from #7 @alcott1

Wow- I love this so much! I appreciate you sharing this postcard with me. I am thinking of the perfect place to display it…

A few more cards have trickled in over the past few days. Thank you to:

#8 @Shesa-Renegade for the great Bahamas card & Ukrainian washi. Maybe one of these days I’ll make it to the Bahamas.

#14 @jacieslar for the wonderful “kindness” card. I would love to see the southwest in the spring!

#23 @suatelier for the fabulous peace card. I love the variety of insect stamps that you used! And I love the ink!! I may be ordering some soon :wink:

#26 @Susaninutah for the amazing vintage Huey P Long statue card, originally sent from Baton Rouge to Norfolk, Virginia in July 1941. I do teach about him in my US history classes, as he is in the state standards. We teach about the critics of the New Deal, both on the left and on the right.

Thank you, again!

2 Likes

#28 reports;

#7 @alcott1 sent a circa 1939 card of Cannon Mountain (NH) Aerial Passenger Tramway. Apparently in 1939 it was super exciting to pass the tram going the other way. Woo hoo! Should our lives be so simple again yes.

#15 @AccentOnHakes a groovy girl from the boxed set called “It’s Cool”. Why yes, I have dyed my hair. I started adding color to it last fall. My daughter does hair so it turns out well. I currently have blue on the front tips about 2 inches and pink in the back. I don’t like that once the pink was done, it was essentially buried under my hair. I have to keep pushing her to be a little more aggressive about this. After all it’s not permanent. Blah, blah, blah, exactly the way I feel about comments regarding school and professionalism. With all the gazillion people who are tatted up these days, a little hair dye is nothing right?

#22 uconn

#11 @HookedonPostcards Very perfect peace card, thank you

2 Likes

#3 @Cruzin – So cute! I love that little kangaroo reaching for that cookie!
#8 @Shesa-Renegade – Beautiful home in The Bahamas. I think this is the first postcard I’ve ever received from The Bahamas.
#12 @Yarn-Lady – Street Musicians–I have a special place in my heart for guitarists.
#14 @jacieslar – Beautiful floral peace sign–we need that now!
#23 @suatelier – Another wish for peace, equality, and justice–Yes!
#24 @roxy – Girl with Mandolin–beautiful instrument. I’ve tried playing the piano and the guitar, but didn’t do very well at either one.
#25 @teddypostcrossing – “The Old Guitarist”, Pablo Picasso–so touching!
#26 @Susaninutah – I’m not sure how Gus can be grumpy with music playing near his ear! It’s obviously not Beethoven. Cute card!
#28 @TwoDoggies – I’d love to lift a glass of–well, not a beer–Reisling in that beautiful Frank Lloyd Wright house any time!
Thank you for the beautiful postcards!

3 Likes

#5 reporting:

#7 @alcott1 – I love this colorful vintage card, “Beautiful Macaws”. I love Macaws, too - and birds in general.

#14 @jacieslar – “Beautiful Earth” – to celebrate Earth Day next week. My hiking club is planning trash pickup on one of the trails that day - we do it other times, too, but probably not often enough.

#23 @suatelier – A rainbow “Peace” card. Yes, we need it. Happy Earth Day to you, too!

#24 @roxy – Thank you for “New York” for my state map collection. This series is pretty.

#29 @melvnoble – Great Picasso portrait! After getting your card for the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, I paid a visit – and stopped in the Art Museum, too. Thanks for the inspiration! I want to visit the National Aviary in Pittsburgh soon.

Thanks for the great cards! You can see them here.

2 Likes

#19 received

#7 @alcott1 - Christmas Tree Street, thank you! You’re right, it’s very unusual to find an unwritten Christmas card, especially one this old. Thank you for writing it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

#21 BeachyBlonde

I have received:
#1 @cawindt Thank you for the “Fill your pockets” postcard! What a bummer that your Spring Break was so cold! That’s why we headed to the beach! It was kind of chilly too, just not that cold!

#2 @CrimsonKing Thank you for the awesome Ferris Wheel postcard! Spring is officially here!

#3 @Cruzin Thank you for the adorable bunny and horse postcard! The horse reminds me of Pippi Longstocking’s horse!

#5 @carolreader Thank you for the “Peace, Love, Coffee” postcard! I’m enjoying my last cup of the day right now! haha

#10 @SecretCityGrl Thank you for the adorable Mr Potato Head bunny postcard! My kids still play with theirs!

#13 @ladybug513 Thank you for the awesome Delaware map postcard! I hope the cookies turned out well!!

#16 @NittanyLionRI Thank you for the beautiful Lantern Press Death Valley postcard! I hope to go there someday!

#17 @anon34290437 Thank you for the lovely Greetings from Indiana postcard! It’s so nice to “meet” you too!!

#19 @ellistrations Thank you for the beautiful Happy Easter postcard! We have 3 different stops to make for Easter today (luckily the weather is holding for outdoor visits)! It will be a busy day! haha

#22 @uconn Thank you for the epic playing card jacket postcard! How fun!! I hope you enjoyed your visit!!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip Thank you for the gorgeous yellow MA map postcard! We did make a trip up to Mass one summer! We stayed in/on (?) Cape Cod then went over to Plymouth and Boston! It’s a fun state!

7 Likes

Finally - all of my cards have been dropped in the mail!

APRIL 2022 NARR – Report 2

Look what Peter Cottontail brought!

#07 @Alcott1: sent a vintage linen postcard showing a bucking bronco at a cowboy rodeo in South Dakota that was a Postcard Show find. Postcard shows can be fun, if there are plenty of quarter and 50 cent boxes! With spring, flea markets and yard sales are beginning to open up here. That’s where I try to find my bargains. Thanks!

#09 @ScoutingBear: sent an exterior shot of Griswold’s Restaurant in Claremont, CA. Opening as a dried fruit and marmalade business run by a retired professor, George Griswold, it soon expanded and became a place on Route 66 for travelers to enjoy a little Scandinavian Smorgasbord. It’s now a Buca di Beppo Italian Restaurant. Thanks!

#11 @HookedOnPostcards: sent a hideous-looking doll (with the unfortunate name of Columbine) from the “enchanted” World Doll Museum in Mitchell, South Dakota (located right across from the infamous Corn Palace). At one point, the museum housed 4,500 antique and modern dolls - but it shut down in 2008 because of declining attendance and the building has been empty ever since. Makes you wonder what ever happened to good ole Columbine, not! Thanks!

#12 @Yarn-Lady: sent a multi-view of the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument in Oregon. Who knew Oregon had fossils! How nice to have a park that doesn’t get too overcrowded. That’s getting to be quite a rarity. Thanks!

#14 @Jacieslar: sent a quote from Mother Teresa about the impact of using kind words. Yes, there is nothing quite like seeing the desert areas bloom in spring. Thanks!

#15 @AccentOnHakes: sent a Lake Powell view of the Hoover Dam. It’s scary to see the water levels so low! And the site has lost a bit of its charm now that road traffic has been directed to the bypass bridge. Yes, the last time I toured it the guide was just full of those dam jokes! Thanks!

#18 @LaurenceB: sent a shot of a drinking fountain in Congress Square in Ljubljana, Slovenia. Yeah, community drinking fountains are a little scary, even before the pandemic. And that little girl appears to making quite a mess judging from the spill around the basin. Thanks!

#23 @Suatelier: sent a timely Keep Calm and Stand Up for Peace card just perfect for this month’s RR theme. It’s surreal seeing all the destruction going on in Ukraine and how little accountability we see domestically and internationally these days. It would appear no one, in authority, is standing up for anything! Thanks!

#24 @Roxy: sent an offensive racially insensitive card indicating that “White Man Can’t Dance”. All I can say is it’s not a totally baseless stereotype! Thanks!

#26 @SusanInUtah: sent a vintage, funny, play-on-words, Bass beer promotion cartoon card, with the Bass looking for a tenor. I think Guinness holds the records for most comic drawing promotions, so it’s nice to see one from another brand. Yes, cellar temperature beers are a foreign taste for me! Thanks!

Thanks everyone!

All my outgoing April cards have been posted…

View all my incoming April cards HERE.

Rocky Road Trip #30

2 Likes

#24 reporting more fabulous cards:

#3 @cruzin sent a great VW card!

#5 @carolreader sent a very colourful Imagine Peace by Peace Love is Art

#9 @scoutingbear sent the Four Corners, a great vintage card!

#15 @accentonhakes sent the downtown isthmus in Madison, WI

#25 @teddypostcrossing sent Matisse’s art “Poppies”

Thank you all for the lovely cards, messages and decorations!

2 Likes

#20 - Triol
I received cards from:

#1 @cawindt
Thank you so much, Craig for Ukraine Dove of Peace! I pray every day for Peace!

#2 @CrimsonKing
Many thanks, Lesly for Keep Calm card for my collection!

#3 @Cruzin
Lori! What a cute and funny illustration! This is looks like me and my husband:)) Thank you so much!!

#5 @carolreader
What a great card, Carol! Thank you so much for this choice! Hope this terrible war end soon!

#6 @mikeyz1
Thank you so much, Mike for card with large letters - new for my album!

#7 @alcott1
Dear Mary Ellen! I even don`t know HOW I can describe my feelings when I open your envelope!
Absolutely RARITET!!!Postcard c.1910 !!!And what beautiful picture on card! My not rich English does not allow me to fully tell you how grateful I am to you!

#8 @Shesa-Renegade
Many thanks, Rene for peaceful card! We are all praying for peace now! Glory to Ukraine!

#9 @scoutingbear
Thank you, Karen for so cute Australian animals from san Diego ZOO!(Safari Park)!

#10 @SecretCityGrl
Many thanks, Davida for such a beautiful bouquet! I also have fresh flowers in my house in music room!:slight_smile:

#11 @HookedonPostcards
Huge thanks, Helen for card of my Favorite artist! I love this card soooo much! Just for my Orthodox Easter for next weekend!!

#12 @Yarn-Lady
What a nice card! Thank you dear Cynthia! I usually decorated eggs like ,Pisanka, Ukraine style! I will be doing it this Friday:)

#13 @ladybug513
Dear Susan! Fantastic card! Absolutely loved! Vintage and touchable! Thank you so much for such a great selection!

Report to be continue today evening…

4 Likes

#17 reporting received from #29 @melvnoble

Thank you so much for this interesting postcard! I also LOVE the bird sticker, a unique way to make an ice cream cone!

2 Likes

#10 reporting great cards to start off the week:

#8 @Shesa-Renegade sent a very nice Apollo card and revealed that she is a UT Knoxville alum! Go Vols! Thank you!

#11 @HookedonPostcards a lovely card of folk art embroidery. Very nice red work. Thank you!

#14 @jacieslar a great Earth day reminder. Thank you!

#26 @Susaninutah a too cute travel-themed handmade card. Thank you!

2 Likes

#22 uconn

#29 @melvnoble a great art card with Matisse in action
Thanks!

#16 NittanyLionRI - received 2 wonderful cards today. Thank you both :blush:

#18 @LaurenceB - so excited to receive my first card from the Women in Art set (and a photographer!!)!

#29 @melvnoble sent a pretty Hydrangea illustration. I have a beautiful hydrangea bush outside my door. Yep, that‘s where I got my user name from :wink:. I was a track & field athlete there.

1 Like

@alcott1 #7 Thanks for this cool vintage card! I agree, the colors are beautiful. I haven’t been to any postcard shows. Maybe one day.
@HookedonPostcards #11 Thank you for this wonderfully decorated card. I hope that your friends in Ukraine stay safe.
@Beachyblonde #21 Orange Beach, AL! Hope you and your family had fun. I never did much traveling in on spring break as a K-12 student; my parents were too busy working. College, though–those were the times!
@melvnoble #29 Thanks for the cool photo card! I am your opposite, I have too many tourist cards! I get wayyyyyyy too many whenever I travel and then I hoard them because I’m not going back and I don’t want to use them all up! LOL. Hope you get another trip in soon!

1 Like

#26 checking in.

#6 @mikeyz1
Mike sent a Civil War cemetery with matching postmark from 1987! Yes, I find old cemeteries endlessly fascinating. Modern ones with flat markers are merely peaceful.

#16 @NittanyLionRI
Stephanie sent a squat Rhode Island lighthouse. September and October, behind a dune out of the wind, sun warming the sand…perfection.

#29 @melvnoble
Why do bulldogs instantly make me think of Winston Churchill! I just cannot get that connection out of my head.

Thanks!

#19 received

#6 @mikeyz1 - Grumpy Cat, thank you! I really need to get more exercise. It’s just dark by the time I get home from work and catch up on cards. As it gets warmer, I need to find the time to take daily walks. Would be easier with a set work schedule. I love my sleep too much to wake up earlier, haha!

#29 @melvnoble - Fabosaurus, thank you! They’re still so fun! We visited New Bern last weekend and they had painted bears all over town. Standing bears seemed to represent people (historical or business) and the bears on all feet were painted by businesses with fun designs. If we had more time, I’d have walked the whole town and gotten all the bears’ photos. Here’s a few:

1 Like

#20 -Triol
Report (continue)

#14 @jacieslar
Thank you so much JoAnne for card with quote of Maya Angelou!
Very strong words!

#16 @NittanyLionRI
Thank you, thank you soooo much, Stephanie for cute Hedgehog !!! New one for my collection! I love it very much!

#17 @anon34290437
Nice to meet you too, Sharalyn! Welcome to our postcrossing family! Thank you so much for your card for me! It will add to my collection of ,Large Letters,!!!

#18 @LaurenceB
Big THANKS, Laurence for amazing map card of Canada with great stamps on it! I like it so much!

#19 @ellistrations
What a cutest card!!! 100 thanks, dear Barbara for this card for me!!! Hedgehog on it so lovely! New one for my ,sharping collection,:))

#22 @uconn
Thank you so much for funny card, James!

#23 @suatelier
Many thanks, Charlotte for Keep Calm card! Very relevant postcard!!! We all pray now about peace!

#25 @teddypostcrossing
Kristine! How I love your postcard! Very beautiful spring illustration! Thanks a lot!!!

#26 @Susaninutah
My deep gratitude for the postcard, Susan that I have been looking for so long!!! New Hedgehogs of my favorite artist!

#28 @TwoDoggies
Big Thanks dear Terri for Keep Calm card with my professional accent! I like it so much!!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip
Thank you so much, rocky for retro card! Yes, in 1972 cruise ships looks like toys:))

6 Likes