Roll Control: Stamp Dispensers

Share it here if you do! :blush:

1 Like

And here I was thinking that our post office reached the high tech top tier when they sent me the cardboard box (similar to the one on @KonradKuchen photo, but different colours and logos) with the stamp rolls I bought :joy:
But it turned out there are MUCH fancier boxes!

So I have only four of the cardboard boxes from post office, but definitely will have to keep my eyes open at second-hand shops for any older ones. I doubt there are any in normal markets, but might get lucky with older things. I don’t have so many rolls of stamps (just some low value ones), but it would be nice to have one of so specific use container and have to explain its’ meaning to any curious visitor.

4 Likes

In Germany you can aquire old and discarded post office equipment if you are lucky and financially strong.

9 Likes

I love this thread! Your handmade clay solution is so cool and makes me wanna try my own one day. And that mid-century engraved brass dispenser you found is so pretty too. :heart_eyes::sparkles:

I have one of the official USPS dispensers like yours, but I haven’t actually bought any small rolls in a while, so I have been using it for my 3000 roll of 1c stamps, but they don’t actually fit in it the same as the small rolls, so then I was looking around my apartment for a better solution too. My final solution has been a little souvenir coin bank, which has actually been working great for me to pull a long strip off my 3000 roll and can easily fit them into the opening on the bottom. I usually lay the coin bank on its side so the stamps don’t fall back in when I get to the end of the strip.

I also have a few other little tins and toys that work pretty well for small rolls.

I do love those simple paper box dispensers show above from Germany, a lot of craft glue dots come in boxes like that and it is actually a great and simple solution when it feeds the stamp/sticker/glue-dot off of the paper… Love the efficiency of that design. :heart:
I have also seen the cheap wooden boxes at craft stores, which I think would work pretty great as a stamp dispenser too.

Okay, now I have a little list for my next shopping trip – need some air dry clay to try to make a cute little dispenser for myself too. Thanks for the inspiration! :grin::+1::+1:

22 Likes

I think that’s a great idea repurposing coin banks as roll dispensers. Unfortunately, I don’t have any of those since I try not to keep many coins around in the first place. I just ended up making another origami box out of card stock for my giant roll of 3000 stamps.

3 Likes

Oooh @syaffolee, did you make a giant origami box to fit the entire 3000 roll in one box??

2 Likes

Yep. Unfortunately I had to reinforce it with washi tape. That thing is heavy.

18 Likes

That is awesome!! Hopefully I’ll come back in a week or two with some photo updates from all the inspiration here.

2 Likes

I love the coin banks as stamp dispensers–man, I feel dumb for not thinking of it! They’re perfect! :exploding_head: (I especially love the Oregon one! :blue_heart:)

You could have a field day decorating the plain wooden boxes or air-dry clay ones…aaand I’m getting the craft bug again. :laughing: Please, please post your creations!

4 Likes

Thank you, @PinkNoodle, for an interesting topic! I never knew up till now that such thing as a stamp dispenser exists and that there are post offices in the world that issue stamps in coils. Wow.
Your creation is beautiful, I especially like the birds on the tiled roof!

1 Like

I didn’t know about stamp dispensers as well. The Vintage ones look sooo beautiful :heart_eyes:.
I actually just yesterday ordered my first roll of stamps. Before I just used the sheet ones.
And now I have to make something to hold it, especially after seeing all the beautiful ideas :sweat_smile: Oh well, there is no way around it now :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Well, so after some search online I found something I’m going to try out:

They are vintage coinbanks from the postal service here in germany. I’m not sure if the roll is going to fit…but they are soo adorable I have to try :sweat_smile:

18 Likes

Please tell us if they fit and where you found them! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m going to give an update as soon as I receive them. :+1:t2:
You can find them on ebay.

4 Likes

Those are darling! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: And I love that they’re even little postboxes–perfect!

I can see us starting a stampede on eBay, Etsy, and other online antique dealers for old stamp dispensers and coin banks. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

All of these are so lovely! :slight_smile:
Years ago I decorated a simple box with used stamps and now it holds most of my stamps. But that roll of priority stickers always bugs me. Maybe I will find a little box for it or make one similar to the origami ones above :slight_smile:

14 Likes

What a brilliant idea–and it turned out so lovely! I like that you made it with used stamps, because those cancellation marks add another layer of cool. :sunglasses: Let us know if you try an origami box or other dispenser for your priority stickers!

2 Likes

Just finished it :slight_smile:

16 Likes

YESSSS! I need to get started making some, too! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I have been using this one for a few years. My husband gave it to me one year for Christmas. It’s like our mailboxes here in Canada. Sold by Canada Post.

30 Likes