Redeemed / Uncanceled Stamps

Hi! Yesterday I received two postcards with stamps that were not redeemed. Has anyone ever had this, and what does it mean?

2 Likes

What do you mean by “redeemed?”

2 Likes

Do you mean that the stamps are not cancelled by a postmark?
Yes, I had several of them. Deutsche Pist does not cancel mail coming in from abroad and e. g. Posti in Finland often does not cancel their mail, so if I get a card ftom Finland it is quite likely that it is not cancelled.

7 Likes

This may help

1 Like

Not really. It is a little nerdy, but does nor answer the question what the original poster meant with “redeemed”, at least I did not find that answer.

He meant cancelled and he was wondering why they were not marked up…this article provide explanations for him

2 Likes

Hi! I was referring to the “extinguishing” of stamps when a stamp remains on them. I was extremely surprised when I received stamps without this seal

I may have misused that word, sorry. I just didn’t quite understand how to translate the Russian word “гашение”

1 Like

‘Cancelled’ is the correct translation.

As for cancelling, seems the top one doesn’t need the cancellation - it looks more like a mark of payment than a classic stamp
As far as I know some modern stamps have a code hidden in it (sometimes only visible in UV or they are cancelled by UV visible marks something, I’m not sure… here the link: UV visible marks in stamps), so they are ‘registered’ in the system and can’t be used twice (that’s the purpose of cancellation - to avoid secondary usage). But in case of Spanish stamps it’s just seems the outgoing mail wasn’t cancelled, and it happens with received mail from some countries (also the opposite thing happens - when post cancels stickers and washi tapes)

4 Likes

@Xute Thank you for the explanation. I suspected that this was the case. @fox_and_lyu - the top item looks like a meter stamp or label, while the bottom appear to be stamps with perforations.

I rarely get cards that haven’t been canceled primarily because I don’t collect used US cards. But I will share an observation. More than 15-20 years ago, it wasn’t uncommon to see ads in stamp magazines for US stamps “uncancelled / ungummed.” These were from dealers selling to other dealers or to those who do heavy mailing. These dealers were soaking off these stamps from envelopes and reselling them - clearly illegal.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s not that uncommon. When not hand cancelled at the post office, it happens now and then in Italy not to have the stamps cancelled (maybe the sorting machines were out of ink, maybe they were just skipped…)

Recently i’ve got a postcard in the mail and the stamps weren’t canceled at all!!
Not by a stamp, not by a penmark or something… nothing. That was so surprising to me!
I think it’s pretty rare. It is very cool though!

Anyone got anything like this before as well??

Actually, it is more common than you thought. In Belgium they don’t cancel anymore at the post office. If you ask for it, they say they don’t do that anymore or that the machine will cancel the stamps (this is not true as you can notice) or they don’t know how to press the seal on the stamps because they are too young to see canceled stamps (this is not a joke, this is a real experience that I was living !). So this is a problem to get canceled stamps in a Belgian post office. The stamps with Belgian frank as facial value are almost always canceled.

5 Likes

I have received a couple last week: uncanceled from Canada and from Finland.

2 Likes

Oh really! I did not know that.
Although my card wasn’t from Belgium, but from Canada.
I think it’s special that it traveled all the way to me in The Netherlands without any cancelation :smiley:

2 Likes

Oooh… mine was from Canada as well. Maybe it’s something they don’t do there?

UK post is rarely cancelled as well.

1 Like

Yes, all the time. It is pretty common.

The post office has a heavy workload and was overlooked.

Canada seems not to provide postmarks much anymore, in my experience.

1 Like