Redeemed / Uncanceled Stamps

My experience aligns with the above posters in that Canada and UK are particularly bad at cancelling stamps. I also seem to get a lot of Finnish mail where there is a machine cancel but not on the stamps! And Australia is probably about 50/50 cancelled/not when I receive domestic mail.

1 Like

Regularly in the UK unfortunately, but at least it’s preferable to the awful sharpie & biro cancellations! I’ve just ordered a rubber stamp to use to try & disguise those x

1 Like

It is unfortunately more common for me to receive mail without postmarks on them than canceled ones.

2 Likes

That does look like you actually like cancelled stamps. Is that right?
( i like it as well btw… it adds to the charm of travelling i think)

Well, as a stamp collector, I do prefer my used stamps cancelled. Also, if you keep them on the mail you receive, as I do, a postmark is what proves that the card or envelope actually made the journey.

1 Like

Oh… So far i’ve always heard from stamp collectors that they prefer it uncancelled. But that might be on loose stamps more than received mail than.

Maybe they meant mint/unused stamps. From my experience, most stamp collectors of used stamps also prefer them cancelled.

2 Likes