Questions about the forum

I’m just circling back to this as I didn’t get an answer. I have muted the entire category of ‘Education’ but it’s posts still appear in the top posts in the ‘Categories’ view. However, if I go in and mute individual posts within that category, those individual posts no longer show in the ‘Categories’ view. Is there a way to make it so that all posts from a muted sub-category also don’t show? (Is there a reason they are showing? Is it a bug?)

Have you set it in your preferences → Tracking?

I just tested it and when I go to the Postcrossing category, no topics from Education appear.

The last post there was 23 hours ago and it is not visible and it is also not visible in the “all categories”.

Thanks for your help! I do have it muted in my ‘tracking’:
IMG_0867

For me, nothing from Education shows in the ‘Postcrossing’ section but when I am on the ‘Categories’ main page, they still show as the previews for the Postcrossing section. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to recreate this at the moment because I muted the topics that were showing individually shortly before posting, but I can post a screenshot the next time one pops up. I’m wondering if the difference is something related to me being on mobile (as it looks like you’re on desktop).

Yes, I’m on a desktop.

I don’t know if I understand you right.

I’m now on my mobile - do you mean that?

Edit:

I’ve just opened a test topic on Education
On my mobile it is not visible - I see the same last topics as in my picture above.

Can you please look if you see that test topic.

Thanks again for your help! So even though your test topic doesn’t show when I actually click into the Postcrossing section, it shows in the preview on the All Categories page:

(Education is still muted in my tracking and has been since I posted my first question a while ago.)

I just looked again to it and now I see my topic too.
Maybe it took a little time before it appeared there.

I’m afraid I can’t help any more.
Maybe someone else knows a solution or maybe there is simply no other way.

Or you open a topic about that in Bugs and maybe Paulo can help there.

1 Like

Okay, thank you for your help anyway!

1 Like

When I access the forum on a browser on my mobile phone, I constantly get one of these two banners:

Are these the same thing, and what are they? At first I thought maybe it’s an app, but I can’t find anything PC related in the Android store (Google Play).

I don’t know if there’s more information behind those banners, I don’t want to click on them because it looks like everything will be installed with the first click.

So what is this, and how do I turn those notifications off I don’t want to install anything else on my phone? Thanks!

1 Like

It’s not a real app more a shortcur on your mobile screen. It looks like this:

Screenshot_20240326-175511_One UI Home

Discourse is the app Postcrossing uses for the forum, that one can you find in the App Store, but you have to link it to Postcrossing I think.

To close it just click the x, but it don’t know if this then will not show up again.

1 Like

How do I create a thread that other people can edit to add/update information on like a wiki page?

Only Regular user (TL3), Leader (TL4) and admins/moderators can create a wiki.
But you can flag the post you want to turn into a wiki - then we’ll do it for you.

1 Like

what are the requirements for TL3?

You can read here about that.

To get to trust level 3, in the last 100 days…

• Must have visited at least 50% of days

• Must have replied to at least 10 different non-PM topics

• Of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)

• Of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)

• Must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*

• Must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)

• Must not have been suspended or silenced in the last 6 months

• These likes must be across a minimum number of different users (1/5 the number), across a minimum number of different days (1/4 the number). Likes cannot be from PMs.

1 Like

So it is these two requirements that need to be maintained, thank you!

Yes I think so.
It would be cool if there was a status bar or something to show advancement towards meeting the requirements. For example, 100 days is a long time, I don’t know how many of those I was active on here, and I also don’t know how many topics I’ve read that were created recently

1 Like

Follow up question-
What is the difference between viewing and reading something?
Is viewing it just clicking on the topic to open it? And reading means I have to scroll through all the replies too?

You can go to the users page, set it to quarter and enter your username - then you have the details for 91 days.
And you can compare yourself with other regular users.

What is the difference between “topics viewed” and “posts read”?
It says I have 175 topics viewed but 3.9k posts read. Is a topic the overall thread and then each reply is a post

Yes, a topic consists of posts.