Questions about the forum

I’ve noticed this behaviour, too. But haven’t paid close attention.

As you said, any new topic is marked with a blue dot. You can choose when the topic is marked as new (preferences -> notifications). I think it is meant to notify of new topics, in case you would be interested. You can always “dismiss” the new and if there is a category you are not interested about and have muted it, you will not see the new topics in that category in your latest one. For example, if you mute category #communities:finnish, you don’t get Finnish topics with blue dot

Maybe this question has already been asked, I am not sure.

Question about seeing user profiles from this new forum. How do we see another users profile from the new forum?

If I click any avatar twice, I see the complete user card of this forum (unless hidden). If I click the avatar once and then the Postcrossing symbol by the username, I see the profile in the official Postcrossing site.

1 Like

I also noticed this… no idea why but doesn’t cause much trouble… but it’s odd some topics have their number others don’t…

Can I ask how you used search in the old forum to see who had received your cards? :joy: For me, the search result in the old forum is just like the one in the new forum, I get every posts containing my name so it’s almost impossible to find the thank-you messages. The @ function here is absolutely a gift to me! If only everyone uses that haha.

Also you can bookmark the threads just like favoriting one in the old forum and then press g and b on your desktop, it will take you to a your bookmark page but better displayed. :smiley:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Bugs under Preferences/Profile/National Flag

Can’t speak for the person who asked the question, but in the old forum I often used ctrl+F to find within a page. On here, that takes you to the search function. You can limit a search to just the thread, but the results take you to the start of a post, not to the exact location of your search term.

And find doesn’t work with continuously loading threads anyway. You’d have to keep scrolling to get the whole thread unrolled first.

This doesn’t solve anything but if you’d like to do a browser search instead of being directed to the Discourse search bar, you can press Ctrl+F twice. The advantage of using the forum search bar is you won’t have to scroll through the page.

3 Likes

Ya a real gift :roll_eyes: as long as people use the @ symbol, which hardly anyone in my groups uses yet. Hopefully over time people will start using it. The old forum is a godsend for me and a lot of other people as it was simple to use. I always used the pull down tab to show all my posts that have my name that have been posted within 1 week instead of “from the beginning”. Works fantastic for me and I never missed anyone letting me know they got my cards.
I already know about the bookmarks and mentioned them in my post. :roll_eyes: They don’t make it easier for me. Still involves tons of extra work compared to the old way. Many others are having the same problems so I know I am not alone.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the time you took to answer my question. :smiley: Have a wonderful day!

1 Like

Oh sorry, I already replied thinking you meant only the little blue dots of new topics as you said you are NOT tracking any categories. I get these bigger dots with numbers only for topics that are being tracked or watched. They may be completely new, topics I have not read, but belong to some category that I do read. I have been actively changing the settings of topics and categories, so I don’t really know how much happens automatically. You can check your preferences -> categories to see if there are any categories being tracked, because any new topics in those categories would automatically be set tracking. If there actually are some listed and you delete them from the list, you should see fewer surprising dots with numbers in the future.

No, I do not have any categories that I’m tracking (doublechecked to be sure).

The topics that I’m tracking are in Tags and Round Robins and the dots with numbers I see at the moment (when I look at “Latest”) for at least 4 topics from Bingo and 2 topics in Lotteries. I don’t think I have even read 1 single topic in the Bingo category so why the number of posts? It’s a mystery… :question:

Maybe one day I’ll figure it out :grin:

Hmm, those all belong to #games-activities, so there could be a connection, but then again the washi tape discussions topic is under #postcard-mail:mailart-handmade-stationery… Wait, there is some tag for handmade cards, isn’t there? Maybe that is why… the system suggesting possibly interesting topic? Intriqueing! :wink:

About the advertisement that appears on cell phone… It’s really big… I prefer to use the PC because on the phone appears in the whole screen…

But my question is about the language of the link in a post.
I’ve posted a link to the album on Facebook showing the photos of a Halloween Postcrossing Meeting, and everyhting goes well (it works), but the link appears as if was in German…
I wrote in portuguese (it was in the portuguese forum), the linkhas some words in english, but Postcrossing site shows it in German? Why German ?

Hum… my guess is that Facebook is returning their website in German because the IP address of the forum is in Germany (the datacenter we use is in Frankfurt).

For cases like this, you can skip the preview (called oneboxing) by wrapping the link in brackets like this:

<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.710638026213770&type=3>

(the brackets won’t appear when you use them, this is just to explain)

Or, just prefix it with something, like this:

Link: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.710638026213770&type=3

In the old forum I enjoyed a lot the function of topics favorites. I understandt that this forum does work on the idea to keep users as long as possible here but each time I try to read topics as “latest” or so I get a lot of topics which are not of interest for me. For some reasons I don’t have the time to browse the entire categories if the topics I’m interested in have changed. Please help me. Is there anything like the old favorites list? So far I found only in preferences to mark categories as watched/tracked but this takes me to hundreds of Round Robins or Tags and only few are of interest. It might be a step in the desired direction but does not satisfy me. Thank you.

There are two possibilites:

You can bookmark your favourite topics (and personal messages) or you can change the status of a topic to tracking or watching.

Watching works like the old subscriptions while bookmarking or tracking works like the old favourites.

You can access all of these specified topics in separate lists. For watched and tracked topics there is an entry in the burger menu (next to your avatar) and for bookmarked topics it is the keyboard shortcut gb or found when you click your avatar in the top right corner.

2 Likes

Some people have been asking for help on how to use use the Bookmarks in this forum, as well as the notification features, so I’ve written a little guide for it: Bookmarks and Notification levels

I’ve also activated the Bookmarks button on the top menu, so that they’re easier to find.

I hope that helps!

4 Likes

Thank you @meiadeleite :slightly_smiling_face:

But for the information of the others:
Only bookmarked topics are displayed, not the bookmarked messages.

1 Like