Profiles not written in English

copy the profile into Google translate so you will get a clue what he/she wants.
If you are not familiar with Google translate send me the profile name via private message here on the forum and I will translate it for you.
But you should also report this profile to postcrossing support - profiles have to be in English (at least in addition to the native language).

2 Likes

Ty so much @Nordbaer
I now know what to send ty again

1 Like

Once I had a profile in German and I offered the lady to translate it for her into English. Answer: She does not see the need of it, because if she is able to translate all English profiles via google translator into German others should be able to do the same with hersā€¦ believe me I was very surprised about that attitude, but I did not think that it is a reason to reportā€¦ it happens every now and then that I get a german profile, but I learned not to offer any translation anymore :wink:

2 Likes

It is a reason.
It is very unpolite to expect ALL non-German users to translate the profile instead of translating it to English only once.
And the postcrossing team always sends messages to users with only profiles in their native language to remind them to the community rules.

5 Likes

Hi!
I just asked for a new address, and I got a postcrosser that doesnā€™t speak English. The about me text is also not in English and the spoken languages only says Portugese
What should I do? Just send something in English or maybe just a drawing?
Thanks in advance

1 Like

I would send a standard text with very basic, simple words/sentences. The user started postcrossing, so some skills in language and/or computer/internet and/or assistance must be there.

Maybe add in a PS that some profile info in english is useful for others

(I did this once, the user was surprised that there is no automated translation and did add some english to their profile later)

And there is always the option to report the profile to the admins, who then will remind the user of using english. (But I myself prefer to do it directly)

5 Likes

As the admin told in a previous comment, you should report this profile. About your card to this person, I would use a couple of simple English sentences.

"You can always let Postcrossing know about these non-English profiles and we will follow up with the member.

Use the Contact option on the main site."

5 Likes

I also got the address of a very young boy today who only speaks Polish and his profile isnā€™t written in English. I wrote a short sentence in Polish using the translation site DeepL but I am not sure if it is really correct.

2 Likes

Maybe it is too late to catch the ā€œtranslatorā€ topic, but:
I use iPhone and the translator at Safari. When I choose to translate English into Mandarin, it would translate all of the English texts and try to work on words (which similar to English words) from other languages. So the ā€œLatest Language & Geographical Communities topicā€ will looks like this:

Would your translator confused with English and other languages written in Latin letters (like German)? I mean, it wonā€™t try to translate Chinese characters since it is so different from English.

It is against the rules and should be reported for the admins to deal with. However, I personally donā€™t find it all that difficult to stick the text in a translator. I know that others might, though.

1 Like

@littlesthobo

Oh, were there the rules that we must use English ?! I thought Postcrossing generally only prefer people to use English.

The guidelines say :

Use English.

As @Robin67 mentioned above, use English does not mean you must use English.

1 Like

Please scroll up. You will see where someone previously linked to a thread on the topic. The admin clearly stated in that discussion that profiles must be written in English.

5 Likes

@littlesthobo

Okay, I see, but on the Postcrossing Guidelines, the admins still cannot mention that you must use English.

I wonder why that is ?

I have seen only one so far not in English. It was in Portuguese, which I donā€™t know. I typed a very brief note in to a translation service and copied it onto the card. Just hope what i copied was polite. :wink:

2 Likes

They do mention it in the guidelines as has already been clarified.

2 Likes

@littlesthobo

I just read the Postcrossing Community Guidelines again and the admins do not mention that you must use English. The word ā€œmustā€ is, like, forcing, correct?

On the Guidelines, the admins ask people to use English in a polite form, instead, like, please use English.

So, as I mentioned above, please use English does not mean that you must use English.

1 Like

As discussed above, the fact that the word ā€œmustā€ is not mentioned does not mean that using English is not a requirement.

Iā€™m kindly pointing that the word ā€œmustā€ is not mentioned even regarding the sending of postcards:

Send your postcards.
Always send a postcard to each address you request from Postcrossing. There are no exceptions to this. The receiver is dependent on you to receive postcards back, so please send it as soon as possible

But everyone still considers this as basic requirement.

In my opinion, groping for words regarding the Community Guidelines is not the best idea.

10 Likes

Postcrossing writes:

ā€œYour Postcrossing profile is the place where other postcrossers can get to know you a bit better. The more interesting you make it, the more enjoyable the experience on the site will be ā€” both for you and for them. Make sure to write it in English, so that everyone can understand you.ā€

How strict you want Postcrossing rules to be? Isnā€™t ā€œmake sure to write in Englishā€ strick enough for you? Should it be written like YOU MUST USE ENGLISH!!!

Actually words 'use English ā€™ is an order in English, adding ā€˜pleaseā€™ to it makes it polite. Like saying ā€˜give it to meā€™ is an order, ā€˜give it to me, pleaseā€™ is a polite way to ask for something.

13 Likes

@PVLMNLV and @Wilmariina

Well, how about people who feel pressure regarding English language more or less but still want to enjoy Postcrossing somehow ?

By the way, I do not mean off-topic but I also have received cards written in Russian language from Russia which is the language I do not understand, although my profile is fully written in English. I just thought there must be quite a lot of people who struggle with English language on Postcrossing.

1 Like

Yes it does. Iā€™m a native English speaker, and if someone says ā€œdo [this]ā€ itā€™s a requirement. You MUST do it, even if the word ā€œmustā€ is not in the sentence. Exactly as @Wilmariina says above.

11 Likes