Preference of country's you want to send a postcard to.

Good afternoon,

Recently i was suprised to get a card from the country i live in.
Because once upon a time you could tick the box if you didn’t want that or
something like that. If i go to my settings now, there is nothing there, so
i wonder if that has changed recently?

And another thing, someone has send me an envelope from my country,
and appearantly didn’t pay enough for stamps. In all my years on Postcrossing
that never happened before, but i did pay it ofcourse to the postal services here.
I will add to my profile no envelopes. Did you ever get a card that you had to pay for later on?

Overall i’m happy the way it goes, but these two things i wanted to address.
Happy Postcrossing!

2 Likes

We can still choose if we want to exchange with others in our own country or not.
Go to Settings > Profile.

Then scroll down a bit and you find the option.

Haven’t happened to me so far.
I guess there always will be people who make mistakes with the postage. Either because they don’t know the correct postage or because they accidently added the wrong stamp and didn’t know. Or that the postal workers don’t know. (Here in Norway, we mostly buy stamps at postal counters in grocery stores. Some of the staff members have no or little clue about stamps and costs, and can easily make mistakes.)

2 Likes

Thank you Norway_girl. After i made my topic i figured out that it can be changed under the tab profile. :upside_down_face:
Yes, i understand that not everybody is aware of costs and such.
In this case it is someone from The Netherlands, and we can order a postal code online, and that you write on your postcard. Like this (example)
I think in that case they didn’t look at how much it weighs probably.

2 Likes

You should check in your settings → profile → preferences if you have ticked the second box concerning cards from / to your own country.

And yes, I had to pay for missing postage (plus a fee) twice; I told the senders so they knew for the next letters. Once there was a sticker on the card saying that postage was due, but obviously the mailman didn’t bother to make me pay. :wink:

2 Likes

I have not had to pay for extra postage for any Postcrossing mail I have received yet.
Maybe that happened because it was from your own country? I think the US post office wants to collect missing postage on mail sent from a US address to another US address, but not on mail arriving to the US from another country.

1 Like

Yes, but I didn’t fetch it from the post office. Later I learnt (as the sender contacted me about that card) that it was most probably a handmade card which really sounded wonderful :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Hello Annemarie,

You don’t HAVE to pay the fine in the Netherlands, it’s just a request and you have the right to ignore it (and the reminder). You can do it out of courtesy, but most Dutch people actually don’t. I’ve just read a lot about it, as I happened to receive two huge fines last week.

That is correct, because the recipient is not the one who has entered into an agreement with the postal company (that is only the sender). There is therefore no legal obligation on the recipient to pay the fine.

3 Likes

@wezzel And yet even to the sender, it’s still formulated as a request. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I recently got a card with a stamp on it for insufficient postage. That’s because while we have a postcard rate and special postcard stamps here, if the card is larger or oversized, the letter rate is needed, and this card was too big but only had a postcard stamp on it. I didn’t have to pay anything, though. There was a scribbled note by the stamp saying the extra 15 cents was paid for by [name]. Curiously, that name wasn’t the sender’s, so it’s a bit of a mystery for me, but I’m thankful to them since in the end I got my card.

2 Likes

From what I understand in the US anyway the sending country does not share revenue with the receiving country the reason being it is assumed someone will send a card/letter back.

Yes, that must be the reason i think.

Hello Sterrenhemel,

I know in the past there was a lot of hassle about it, the police was giving the wrong impression (saying it was fraud or something like that). But that isn’t true they found out later. Anyway, it isn’t a high amount of money, so i did pay it but was just wondering if someone else had that same experience. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, that does sounds like a bit of mystery. Nice of them to pay for it.

Yes, i think it works the same here in The Netherlands.
The card i received without enough postage came from The Netherlands and
i live there too.

1 Like

Yes in the Netherlands you don’t have to pay it but you can. But a PC friend from Germany was asked to come to the postoffice where two of my foodpackage cards arrived. I did send them in Germany hut forgot that sending square cards cost a lot more then normal . He would have to pay really a lotand ofcourse refused the cards which I totally understood. The fun thingbis that if I would have send them from the Netherlands the postage would have been cheaper (for square cards) and the cards would have been delivered.

1 Like

I received my first postcard like this today - with a hand written code where the stamp should be - and was very curious about it. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain! Yes, it is from the Netherlands and from a new Postcrosser.

A former co-worker was a retired letter carrier. He told me that he would pay small amounts out-of-pocket with a note like that delivering the card immediately. You were supposed to leave (at least) that much with a note for her/him in return.

1 Like

I always pay it, even if I don’t have to. I find that very normal.
No problem.

2 Likes

Sounds like a nice gesture he developed with the people on his route. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes