Postcrossing story - how did you discover us?

I read about postcrossing on a forum I used at that time (2008). There was a small community of Dutch users that would post when they would receive a card. It got me curious and I joined :hugs:

1 Like

Came into postcrossing thanks to my hobby for postage stamps. There are a lot of targeted advertising on philately sites, including postcrossing. And now I’m almost 10 happy in the project.

3 Likes

@ALFAVIT great!

@Loqi nice story.

1 Like

Mine was through a friend back in 2015. He told me about the wonders of snail mail and a closely-knit international community of postcard writers. As an editor myself, I am often fascinated with exchanging stories and worldly perceptions. One postcard led to another, I got to know more about the philatelic world as well. Today, I design and print my own postcards and I create exclusive goodies for my patrons. I even started doodling and painting, which was something I found myself rekindling to. It’s amazing how Postcrossing has spurred me to pursue a lost interest; how I want to learn more languages to write my postcards and to converse with my newfound friends better. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Funnily enough, I found out about it from a Youtube video about linocut stamps. The woman was carving a stamp which said “postcrossing ID_____”. She suggested that the viewer should look it up, I did, and here I am! :smile:

4 Likes

@vanvansx That’s amazing story congrat to you.

1 Like

@Robbie Have fun.

1 Like

I had been searching for a while for something with handwriting - a project, an artwork, copying old handwritten books, writing letters for people who cannot do it themselves, …
Because LED light and digital sounds make me neurologicaly ill, computers are almost impossible for me, and it isolates me from the world. And I am a born (hand)writer. But searching went difficult, cause the internet is not open for me…
Then one day, I read an article about handwriting in magazine for paperlovers, and it mentioned postcrossing! PC brings all my loves together: beautiful encounters, artwork, photography, paper, traveling, cultures, handwriting, the soul of litlle details. For ever greatfull!

7 Likes

I’ve found it because of my french teacher in University!! We were learning about french letters, and she show us this, i’m so thankful for that! :heart:

1 Like

I remember it well.
I was hiding behind a national newspaper on a train to London trying not to show that I was crying over political divisions in the world. I ended up reading an article that mentioned Postcrossing in passing. I signed up there and then.
It seems to me that each time I send or receive a postcard is a physical demonstration that we have “more in common than divides us” whether it is a love of writing or snail mail or travel or whatever.

8 Likes

I joined Postcrossing 2 days ago while buying an.item on a well-known online shopping website. Some postcards came up as ads and underneath it said ‘Postcards for Postcrossing’. Hence I searched on’ Postcrossing’ and found this wonderful website and community. Five postcards are already travelling to their new Postcrossing owners.

6 Likes

I was a student at university. That year I had a super lovely flatmate, she was also into cards like me. She found this page and we bought registered. I don’t know if she is still active tbh, but our goal was to pick eachother’s adress : )

For me it was a bit similar like for you. I was searching for bookcrossing and got a bit sad, coz this will never working here in IR. But at the bookcrossing site was a hint to postcrossing, which was founded just 2 month ago in 2005… and I enjoyed and joint there in the same moment!! Yeeeeaaah!!!

During this long time I felt in love with Zentangle and Collages and other handmade cards… and recently Handlettering!!!

Welcome to the community! Hope you will have fun!

When I was younger I rented an apartment with a friend. I found the pack of old soviet cards on the high shelf. The owner of the apartment said that we can take them if we want to. I sent a card or two, then bought my own cards. I don’t know where that soviet cards are now. I suppose I left them in that apartment. Well maybe they inspired someone else to start postcrossing!
I’m really glad that I am a part of this community!

2 Likes

Personally, it was a little less than a year ago, when I was walking in the Lithuanian countryside. I got lost and it was a bit problematic because I didn’t have a phone and I didn’t know how to get back to Kaunas, the city where I was sleeping, about 20 kilometers away… I asked for help to a young man who was passing by on his bicycle, and he was very nice to me. Afterwards, we exchanged emails, and that’s when he told me that he had an account on Postcrossing. Since then, I told a lot of people about Postcrossing, but I don’t know anyone who told me about it, which means that without this young Lithuanian (Gedminas), I still wouldn’t know Postcrossing, and my life would be different! :smile:
That’s why I feel that Postcrossing really lives on interpersonal relationships, and that’s why I made this suggestion, so that the Postcrossing promoters can be thanked for their efforts.

2 Likes

Hi All,

I was talking to a Postcrossing friend, who asked me how I got to know about Postcrossing. I thought what an interesting question and decided let me ask this on the Forum :).

So, please tell us how you got to know about this wonderful site. Did you send postcards even before joining Postcrossing?

Eager to listen to your responses :grin: :grin:

19 Likes

I will answer from my end.

I was reading about pen-palling on a Q&A website named Quora. Someone mentioned receiving a lot of nice cards and goodies from the Postcrossing website. I always wanted to write physical mail, so I got curious and signed up.

The funny thing is that I didn’t even know what a postcard is. I was ready with my pen and paper to send a letter to the first address that I got :laughing: :laughing:. Luckily, some videos on Youtube cleared up my confusion.

I sent my first 5 cards, with zero hope that anything would reach me ( I never sent physical mail outside India before that). But, it worked :grin: :grin:. My first card took 39 days

26 Likes

I started Postcrossing in August ,2021. Before that I had received one Postcard & one letter from a penpal I met on RAoC. I learnt about postcrossing from #philately video of @Graham_Beck with samuel west. Samuel west is a British actor who is also postcrosser and his 3 month old girl also had account for sending cards!! Wow!
Link to that video : https://youtu.be/Fu35uViRAJg?t=807

I just loved this new word postcrossing in the video and I searched & signed up on PC.

I sent my first 5 cards, i didn’t even knew postage back then, and really wasn’t sure if my address will receive any cards! My first card reached in Germany 46 days!!

It made me so happy:)

Big thank you to Graham and Samuel West for introducing me to postcrossing indirectly))

Happy Postcrossing🎉

15 Likes