Postcrossing story - how did you discover us?

I used to use Habitica and when I was taking a look at the challenges that the community creates I stumbled on the “Postcrossing challenge”. I’m really grateful for that moment of serendipity.

6 Likes

@meiadeleite @paulo Postcrossing is still featured in exams :love_letter:

2 Likes

I learnt about Postcrossing thru someone mentioning it in a Facebook craft swap group i was in. I was curious so asked a few questions, looked up the website and joined. It has been a wonderful activity for our family and we have learnt so much about the world.

3 Likes

I was looking around at youtube for some creative thing to do/make.
and somebody told about the card she recived / send with postcrossing
so I was looking at google for more info.
and found this wonderfull world of postcrossing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
So here I 'm , happy I start in march this year…

6 Likes

It came up somehow during the pandemic, I think I may have been googling things to do? I know I sent off a postcard to someone in an aged care home prior to postcrossing, so maybe I was looking for similar projects :slight_smile: That sounds right… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad I’m here, I don’t get out too much for fun-reasons these days so it gives me something to look forward to!

7 Likes

I saw a Tiktok TikTok - Make Your Day of a lady who did postcrossing. I didn’t even know it was a thing but Im glad Ive joined! :mailbox_with_mail:

7 Likes

I learned about Postcrossing through my mum over 2 years ago. She was quite active on the site at the time and told me about it. I was sceptical at first, but then quickly became enthusiastic.
My mum is no longer active.

As a child/teenager, I already had a pen pal in Russia. Sometimes I wonder if she might also be on Postcrossing. I also wrote letters for years with my best friend in childhood, because she moved away from Berlin with her parents and we rarely saw each other anymore.

Unfortunately, I haven’t kept anything from these letters…

9 Likes

It was early October 2019 and the 150th anniversary of the first postcard being sent. I followed Royal Mail on Instagram, and in their article about this, they mentioned Postcrossing. I followed the link to this website and signed up straight away.

8 Likes

I found about Postcrossing theough a Tiktok video last summer!! I was not super familiar with sending mail at that time so it took me quite a while to understand how postage worked, but I am so glad I saw that video! Postcrossing is my favorite hobby and lets me be the perfect amount of creative.

This was a great forum topic idea, ive loved reading how everyone found PC!!

9 Likes

I think I heard about it the first time sometime around 2007 or 2008. Some of my pals told me they had just discovered Postcrossing and were absolutely on fire about it :smile: I checked out the then Postcrossing website but didn’t give the project much thought. Fast forward to 2015 and me being fed up with receiving only bills or mail from our Social Insurance Institution. I didn’t feel like I was up for long-term penpalling at that point but then I suddenly remembered Postcrossing. I decided to check out if the project was still around and it was. I loved to read the user profiles, which were visible to the public back then and the many varied subjects people expressed an interest in receiving. Lo and behold, I created an account and took my first address. And here I am still. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@meiadeleite @paulo - I hope that we can have this topic as a writing prompt in the future :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I heard about it on a BBC Radio Bristol interview and began Postcrossing immediately.

7 Likes

One of my parent’s friend told me about Postcrossing when I was teenager. I was interested about it, but didn’t make account then.
Years went by, and someone at our school (upper secondary school) told me about Postcrossing. Then I made account and started to learn more English via Postcrossing !
Now I have been writing cards for 9 years :purple_heart:

7 Likes

After discovering journalling, i found things like snail mail, pen palls, and postcrossing. So i got curious. On Facebook, im a member in some groups for snail mail and pen palls. When i became a meber for a postcrossing facebook group, they’d asked me if i was a member of this website. So that’s how i found this site and postcrossing. And now, whenever i see postcards, i just have to look and buy some. It’s a great hobby, and im looking forward to share and recieve many more cards around the world

4 Likes

Gail, I just saw your postcards - what a lovely surprise for the recipient! I’d be happy to get one myself!

Looks like I joined Postcrossing in 2012 - when I got involved many years ago, it was completely by chance. I wish I could remember how! I’ve taken breaks here & there but when I do, I miss it! I love getting fun mail and reading about what people are up to. My goal this year is to send the max number of cards I can at one time!

3 Likes

I learned about PostCrossing from OakLeafAcres on TikTok and it’s been such a bright spot in my life. I moved away from my family and friends 3 years ago and have felt pretty disconnected. I haven’t made many new friend here. Postcrossing gives me happy feelings both when I make/send cards and when I receive them. It also helps me feel super connected to people around the world. Thank you!!

9 Likes

I have a pen pal from the USA and she mentioned it😀

4 Likes

I learned about PostCrossing from the same TikTok! I developed a chronic illness a few years ago and like you have started feeling pretty disconnected, so it was amazing to be able to connect with such a vibrant community. It feels a bit like serendipity that her videos crossed my for you page!

7 Likes

my local post office did a socialization in my school about postcrossing, and since I’m in the English club, my teachers told me to send one postcard, at first i didn’t want to, since i thought sending a postcard in this day and age is a waste of time
i reluctantly did so, fast forward a month and i received one back, and surprisingly i was kind of touched, the whole idea of someone from another part of the world handwriting me a card touched my heart, and so far I’ve liked it.
if you tell my past self from 1 year ago that I’d actually enjoy sending postcards to people around the globe, I probably won’t believe you lol

17 Likes

Thanks for sharing the link!

2 Likes