Postcrossing story - how did you discover us?

After discovering journalling, i found things like snail mail, pen palls, and postcrossing. So i got curious. On Facebook, im a member in some groups for snail mail and pen palls. When i became a meber for a postcrossing facebook group, they’d asked me if i was a member of this website. So that’s how i found this site and postcrossing. And now, whenever i see postcards, i just have to look and buy some. It’s a great hobby, and im looking forward to share and recieve many more cards around the world

4 Likes

Gail, I just saw your postcards - what a lovely surprise for the recipient! I’d be happy to get one myself!

Looks like I joined Postcrossing in 2012 - when I got involved many years ago, it was completely by chance. I wish I could remember how! I’ve taken breaks here & there but when I do, I miss it! I love getting fun mail and reading about what people are up to. My goal this year is to send the max number of cards I can at one time!

3 Likes

I learned about PostCrossing from OakLeafAcres on TikTok and it’s been such a bright spot in my life. I moved away from my family and friends 3 years ago and have felt pretty disconnected. I haven’t made many new friend here. Postcrossing gives me happy feelings both when I make/send cards and when I receive them. It also helps me feel super connected to people around the world. Thank you!!

9 Likes

I have a pen pal from the USA and she mentioned it😀

4 Likes

I learned about PostCrossing from the same TikTok! I developed a chronic illness a few years ago and like you have started feeling pretty disconnected, so it was amazing to be able to connect with such a vibrant community. It feels a bit like serendipity that her videos crossed my for you page!

7 Likes

my local post office did a socialization in my school about postcrossing, and since I’m in the English club, my teachers told me to send one postcard, at first i didn’t want to, since i thought sending a postcard in this day and age is a waste of time
i reluctantly did so, fast forward a month and i received one back, and surprisingly i was kind of touched, the whole idea of someone from another part of the world handwriting me a card touched my heart, and so far I’ve liked it.
if you tell my past self from 1 year ago that I’d actually enjoy sending postcards to people around the globe, I probably won’t believe you lol

17 Likes

Thanks for sharing the link!

2 Likes

I was studying a module for my OU English degree and we were looking at the history of written communications. There was a chapter on the introduction of penny postage in Britain (one charge, sender pays, any destination etc) and how postcards became the go-to means of communicating given that in urban areas there were several mail deliveries a day. I asked in our FB group if anyone sends postcards any more, and one reply mentioned Postcrossing - I signed up the same day!

9 Likes

Hi! A great question! Six plus years ago, I’d signed up for a class on making stationery and envelopes and ways to find pen pals. The class was cancelled due to low enrollment, alas, but I asked the teacher for tips. She recommended Postcrossing, and it completely opened up my pen palling world!

6 Likes

I discovered Postcrossing in 2011 but I don’t recall how I came across it. I liked the project and thought it was cool so I signed up back then. I had fun sending postcards but after a while it fell to the wayside and I deleted my account when I left Postcrossing. Now I’m back sending postcards again and having fun like all those years ago.

4 Likes

Hi !
I discovered postcrossing at work. One of my coworker said “today I received a postcard from Finland”. I was like “whaaat ?” And he explained to the team what postcrossing is. (My job is not related to postcards we were just chatting before a meeting)
I wrote “postcrossing” on my notebook and forgot about it a few weeks. Then I subscibed and I love it !

8 Likes

I started in penpal-ing in the 1980s when I was a kid. As I got older I kept in touch with a lot of friends via postcards. In 2007, a friend of mine who also loved postcards told me about it and I joined immediately!

I was also a LWA member when it was quite new. I have a super low membership number. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I started Postcrossing when I was 8 and I learned about it from my mum. She saw an article from a geography teacher where the teacher says that Postcrossing is an amazing project because here people can explore the world via postcards.

6 Likes

I found out about postcrossing on the viral OakLeafAcres TikTok! Im so glad i did! I immediately went to the site and have been addicted since!!

6 Likes

I never knew about Postcrossing until 2 months ago when I was reading reviews of something on Amazon where she mentioned using it for Postcrossing. I looked it up and here I am 2 months later lots of swaps and penpals.

10 Likes

I found out about Postcrossing in an app called Whisper, where people can talk/ask questions/vent. A person was asking suggestions about hobbies because they didn’t have any (I was in the same situation), and one of the answers were: “www.postcrossing.com – you’ll thank me later”. I went into the site and I found the idea so cool and so unique (I had never sent mail up to that point) that I signed up straightaway.

7 Likes

I found out about PostCrossing through the antique typewriter community. I was thrilled to discover such a thing existed. I jumped in with both feet and have more postcards, washi, stamps and stickers than I can count. I estimate I’ve spent $1000 on this little hobby since April… and I have zero regrets. Have I gone overboard? Probably. But I’m okay with that. PostCrossing has gotten me through some extremely dark days while I’ve been recuperating from a horrible accident these past few months. This community is amazing!

10 Likes

I read a book titled I Will Always Write Back. It’s a memoir written by 2 individuals, a girl from the US and a boy from Zimbabwe. They became pen pals from a school project. It was such a great book and after I finished it, I googled stuff about pen pals. I found a website that listed links to various pen pal websites and postcrossing was on. I decided to check it out and now here I am over 2 months later, addicted to sending and receiving postcards.

9 Likes

Perhaps you may not believe. Very few people in China still send postcards or letters, but I came across this website while doing an article on English reading comprehension in junior high school.:sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I found out Postcrossing from a friend that told me about it briefly … First I thought it’s something online like a platform but then when she explained more I understood that we are talking about real postcards . Wasn’t much into Postrossing in the beginning since my postcards traveled really long and I checked the settings the wrong way but after fixing it I can say I enjoy it … The big + is getting a postcard in your mail box instead of a Spam letter

3 Likes