Postcrossing story - how did you discover us?

@Mcosmos Welcome to Postcrossing, and to the forum! :love_letter: Good luck on your exams!

3 Likes

Ahhhh! Hello from another LWA member :smiling_face_with_tear:

5 Likes

Thanks a million :wink: :heartpulse: Wish you a happy day!!(And your cat is very cute. :kissing_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

LWA member +1!

5 Likes

I figured it out. It was a pleasant surprise when I did it for the first time. :relieved:

8 Likes

It was mentioned here previously!

5 Likes

I joined February 15, 2010 and back then I remember they were only at I believe 7 million registered cards. My close friend who I also worked for at her jewelry store told me about postcrossing. She is a very creative person and had been writing, collecting stamps and making art for years. She told me to join since it would be fun for both of us to do, she had also just signed up. And I was hooked! I’ve taken some breaks in between and really only do swaps on the forum these days. We have hosted several meetups throughout the years, I got to be in the newspaper even where I talked about postcrossing. And I won a postcrossing birthday contest some years back! So all that has been such a great memory and am so thankful for this community.

19 Likes

I used to use Habitica and when I was taking a look at the challenges that the community creates I stumbled on the “Postcrossing challenge”. I’m really grateful for that moment of serendipity.

6 Likes

@meiadeleite @paulo Postcrossing is still featured in exams :love_letter:

2 Likes

I learnt about Postcrossing thru someone mentioning it in a Facebook craft swap group i was in. I was curious so asked a few questions, looked up the website and joined. It has been a wonderful activity for our family and we have learnt so much about the world.

3 Likes

I was looking around at youtube for some creative thing to do/make.
and somebody told about the card she recived / send with postcrossing
so I was looking at google for more info.
and found this wonderfull world of postcrossing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
So here I 'm , happy I start in march this year…

6 Likes

It came up somehow during the pandemic, I think I may have been googling things to do? I know I sent off a postcard to someone in an aged care home prior to postcrossing, so maybe I was looking for similar projects :slight_smile: That sounds right… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad I’m here, I don’t get out too much for fun-reasons these days so it gives me something to look forward to!

7 Likes

I saw a Tiktok TikTok - Make Your Day of a lady who did postcrossing. I didn’t even know it was a thing but Im glad Ive joined! :mailbox_with_mail:

7 Likes

I learned about Postcrossing through my mum over 2 years ago. She was quite active on the site at the time and told me about it. I was sceptical at first, but then quickly became enthusiastic.
My mum is no longer active.

As a child/teenager, I already had a pen pal in Russia. Sometimes I wonder if she might also be on Postcrossing. I also wrote letters for years with my best friend in childhood, because she moved away from Berlin with her parents and we rarely saw each other anymore.

Unfortunately, I haven’t kept anything from these letters…

9 Likes

It was early October 2019 and the 150th anniversary of the first postcard being sent. I followed Royal Mail on Instagram, and in their article about this, they mentioned Postcrossing. I followed the link to this website and signed up straight away.

8 Likes

I found about Postcrossing theough a Tiktok video last summer!! I was not super familiar with sending mail at that time so it took me quite a while to understand how postage worked, but I am so glad I saw that video! Postcrossing is my favorite hobby and lets me be the perfect amount of creative.

This was a great forum topic idea, ive loved reading how everyone found PC!!

9 Likes

I think I heard about it the first time sometime around 2007 or 2008. Some of my pals told me they had just discovered Postcrossing and were absolutely on fire about it :smile: I checked out the then Postcrossing website but didn’t give the project much thought. Fast forward to 2015 and me being fed up with receiving only bills or mail from our Social Insurance Institution. I didn’t feel like I was up for long-term penpalling at that point but then I suddenly remembered Postcrossing. I decided to check out if the project was still around and it was. I loved to read the user profiles, which were visible to the public back then and the many varied subjects people expressed an interest in receiving. Lo and behold, I created an account and took my first address. And here I am still. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@meiadeleite @paulo - I hope that we can have this topic as a writing prompt in the future :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I heard about it on a BBC Radio Bristol interview and began Postcrossing immediately.

7 Likes

One of my parent’s friend told me about Postcrossing when I was teenager. I was interested about it, but didn’t make account then.
Years went by, and someone at our school (upper secondary school) told me about Postcrossing. Then I made account and started to learn more English via Postcrossing !
Now I have been writing cards for 9 years :purple_heart:

7 Likes