Postcrossers who only send the same postcards

I’ve never heard of this before, let alone had it happen to me.

For me, with pure PostCrossing (i.e. only one postcard sent and nothing more) this risk doesn’t exist. Personally I’ve sent the same postcards to different people and I suppose others did the same with me, I don’t know and I don’t care.
With exchange the situation is different: I pay attention not to send the same postcard twice to the same person, and I think the other(s) will do the same with me.
Different is the situation with penpals, where the messages are more important than the image itself and it may happen that you send or receive a duplicate. I have a folder in my smartphone’s gallery where I save a picture of what I sent, just to prevent any delusion.

2 Likes

Doesn’t bother me at all.

1 Like

Well, yes, this has happened to me quite a few times.
And like you said, most of them (if not all) were “old” users.
I ignore that demanding in my hurray mail.

2 Likes

I live in a town of 2,000 and we don’t even sell postcards. I bought some off of Amazon but really, they have no meaning to me. SO, I went out around town and took pictures of where I lived. I picked my five favourite photographs and sent them off to VistaPrint to have postcards made. The problem being that there’s a 50 card print minimum on each picture. SO, I have 50 of each picture of my town. Yes, I’m going to be sending out a lot of the same ones. Each card, however, has its own note written and I try to decorate the backs.

I was pleased when I made them, but now I’m worried. I never knew that people would care about other cards that I’m sending out to other people. THEY are getting a unique card from my hometown, and I thought that was cool. Maybe I need to buy more generic ones that mean nothing to me, because it matters to other people?

23 Likes

@Borborhick

Hello Jill, I think it’s cool that you send unique cards of your hometown to people. I myself do that as well (we do have tourist cards, but I don’t think my photos lose to these so here goes :crazy_face:) and I’ve gotten favourites even.

You do you! Keep sending the same cards if you like; switch it up if you want to. But don’t feel obligated to buy generic cards if they have no meaning to you.

Personally I would rather get a card with a picture that has been sent many times because the card meant something to the sender, than get a generic card that is new and means nothing to the sender (and who’s to say the generic card hasn’t been sent many times too - ie not new? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

3 Likes

I’m usually not a fan of view cards but I would love to receive cards with pictures taken by the sender! I do film photography as a hobby and while I’ve never sent my own pictures on official Postcrossing, I’ve sent some on this forum as well as on other sites and people generally like them I think (?) I write about the film stock as well as the events that led me to taking the picture so it’s an enjoyable experience for me :relaxed:

3 Likes

I’m also a photographer and I would love to get cards with pictures from the sender! How awesome would that be? I get to see the world around you as you do. the next time that I’m in the city I’ll look for cards, but it seems odd for me to send cards from a city that I don’t even live in. Haha. There’s a lot to learn, it’s more than just sending cards (I’m quickly learning this!).

2 Likes

That IS cool! Most people in this thread do not share the original posters point of view.

3 Likes

Thanks :grinning: that lifts my spirits a bit. We’re really limited here for cards and even stamps! I try to make up by personalizing the card a fair bit more.

3 Likes

Of course they do and that is fantastic :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I’m guessing that you will please the vast majority of Postcrossers as you are sending something thst allows us to connect with you - and you write an individual message on the back.
You simply cannot please absolutely everyone, and trying to will probably suck all of the joy out of Postcrossing.
I’d say, carry on doing what you are doing, and most of all, enjoy the Postcrossing experience.

8 Likes

I’m the same. So many people want a local view card, and in this city, it almost always means a shot of the Inner Harbour. (Occasionally maybe one of the gate to my city’s Chinatown.) You can find different cards of these views, but only 2 or 3 of the available cards are particularly attractive. So, to those Postcrossers who want local scenes, I send these cards again and again.

The other repeat cards are Lantern Press cards, which a lot of people request. Of the LP postcards with my city’s name on them, only 3 actually show local scenes (the others are generic “west coast” subjects that are also available with other place names on them). So these, too, I send often.

Luckily there are many people who enjoy other subjects as well!

2 Likes

That LOT OF is exactly ONE on your wall of sent cards.

1 Like

I once noticed that a German postcrosser sent almost all the same tourist cards for quite a while.
I never go looking on another PC-ers wall when I receive a card.
I noticed by accident on the central PC page a picture that I thought was of my card. I clicked on it and found out it wasn’t. Only after that I looked further. It amazed me at that time that the PCer had loads of the same cards on his sent-wall. Chances are a few of you in this thread have also received his.

That he does this, doesn’t bother me at all.
For me the card that I receive is important and I liked it.
The message was simple. I like that it was in German. Maybe he sends everyone the same message in German, who knows, but I like to believe he chose to write this message in German just for me.

4 Likes

Absolutely! I live in rural Australia and it is super hard to find postcards these days. There are only limited ones online too. Every now and then I print my own but the smallest order I can get has 50. I always try and match to interests and personalise the back of each card, but often I need to send repeats of the same card. For me, it’s more about the writing and connection anyway :slight_smile:

11 Likes

This is wonderful! I wish I was that motivated. So personal!

1 Like

Being demanding is always unfair and against the rules, regardless if they always send the same card! So that is a reason to complain about their demands, but not about the cards they send!

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

I send the same card over and over again, but I don’t see that as a problem. I used to be a professional nature photographer and national park ranger and had a batch of cards printed with a photo I took in the local park I worked in. Now that I’m a classroom teacher facilitating a postcard exchange at my school, my students take great pride sending out the card which shows our local beauty. There are very few places to buy cards around here and most of what is available is fairly generic. I love being able to be an ambassador for our local natural beauty!

11 Likes