Postcards vs Envelopes

When sending postcards, you often get damaged corners or cracks, does that bother you? i like my postcards best when they look new, can i ask for an envelope in my profile? Of course only for those who don’t cost more! or would that bother you?

3 Likes

Small damage doesn’t bother me.
Request to send card in envelope also doesn’t bother me.

5 Likes

Thanks @bom_dia - you are knowing all Topics :+1:

@anon6219701 I move it to the Envelope or not?

1 Like

You can ask for everything. It’s up to the sender if one wants to do you a favour.

I do it from time to time when it’s asked for because of other issues, e. g. recipient wants cards which can be critical in his country (e. g. nude cards in India as I read here in the forum a while ago).
Or when I can see on the wall that most of the cards have really heavy damages. So most of all international mail.

If there are light traveling scars every now and then I don’t do as I think this is part of the game and not to collect almost brandnew cards.

Edit: But neither damaged cards nor asking for envelopes bothers me.

1 Like

Quoting myself here from another similar topic:
I love my cards written and stamped because I want to see and feel that the card has travelled to me. When the card arrives or when I have a look to my collection I love to see the stamps, the cancellation(s) and travel scars on the cards. I also love to feel the scratches on it and dents in corners of it. If I liked cards in perfect condition, I could just buy them myself. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Quote ends.

When someone asks to send their card in an envelope it doesn’t bother me, because it doesn’t cost any extra. If someone asks for envelope, I always send the card in it. I think it’s totally fine ask for it, especially if people mention it’s not an “obligation” and they understand that in some countries it might cost more. :blush:

11 Likes

I like the travel scars. They tell a story of all the people/ machines they traveled through to get to me.

13 Likes

I now send out cards in envelopes since I have gotten a fair amount received that have damage that is more serious than just worn edges or a few stray marks. I have also heard from people that our US machinery is pretty brutal. If someone asks for no envelope I will accommodate.

6 Likes

Hello and excuse a maybe silly question, but I just don’t want to offend anyone. Can I send a postcard in an envelope? Or is postcrossing strictly stamp directly on postcard? Just wondering, because it would be easier to send a little extra in the envelope. :slightly_smiling_face: Thank you / Karolina

1 Like

It’s your decision (for the official part), most people prefer them without envelope though. Just read the profile carefully and then make your decision :slight_smile: Here’s the official answer to that question: Should I send my postcard in an envelope?

2 Likes

Ok, thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello, I’m still new and wanted to know how do you feel about receiving your postcard in an envelope?
The only reason I send postcards in envelopes is because I print my own labels, which are the same size as the postcard itself. However I recently got some stamps which I much prefer to use, but I love decorating envelopes.

A big NO

There are 2 threads discussing this

1 Like

I was having cards to one country consistently being lost in the mail and not arriving. I tried putting cards to that country in an envelope, and explaining why to the recipient. The cards have been arriving and faster. And no person has complained, in fact they all have told me they appreciate the thoughtfulness.

1 Like

Official Postcrossing postcards I always send by themselves, without an envelope. If I am trading multiple cards, I prefer them Unwritten sent in an envelope.

2 Likes

I only put it in a envelope if they say they don’t mind…I also add some stickers and some few sheets of my favorite cute note pads and sticky notes and maybe some few extra blank postcards inside the envelope

2 Likes

How is it sorted in America? Brutal!

1 Like

I had this doubt many times…

If someone says they prefer envelopes, but doesn’t mention written or unwritten, which do you think is the way they expect (by default)?
If not able to ask (eg. official cards), would you write message on the card, or leave it blank with a note?
If sending several cards at a time, would you write only on one card or fill all of them?

I would think written.

I would write the card exactly as I do when sending without envelope. And I would “fake” it with a used stamp or stamp sticker.

If nothing else is mentioned I would write all cards.

7 Likes

Thank you Patricia, that’s helpful! I waited and found no different opinion. I’m reassured and know what to do now! :wink:

1 Like

G’day and greetings to you all from a ‘first-day’ new-comer to Postcrossing.

This topic touches on the same question I have …

I did send a postcard, from Australia, and nearly got the shock of my life. To send a postcard costs $3.40, to send a standard airmail letter costs $3.40.
As a pensioner on a very tight budget, I need to be very careful about costs. Whilst I love to regularly send mail, I feel a standard size envelope with a postcard inside would be better value; in my eyes.

That way I can put more than just one stamp on it, a proper airmail sticker and still have the code on the outside too.

My personal preference, for sending, would be a letter.
Because it would cost me the same money, but I would feel it’s better value.

Has anyone got any thoughts on that?

All good, cheers,

YoungMans.

4 Likes