Postcards vs Envelopes

I just finished posting my message and went back to re-read yours, only to realize I’ve essentially parroted what you said. Oops!

I do agree that sending the little extras can be fun though :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I may start doing that once I’ve collected a few more supplies!

2 Likes

I typically send my postcards without an envelope unless requested otherwise. Like halflingstory said, it doesn’t cost Canadians any extra to send in an envelope.

I would only send in an envelope if it was requested, if I were sending small shaped cards which could not otherwise be sent alone, or if I was doing a direct swap or tag with multiple cards in the mix.

As for what I prefer, anything is ok! Whatever is cheaper and easier for the writer. I can always snip out the stamp and affix it to the card with a little piece of washi tape.

I suppose most people here on P.C. prefer their cards to be stamped like a traditional postcard.
In my private mail that I send to friends and family, if it’s a special postcard that I don’t want to get stamped or dinged up during transit, I’ll stick it in an envelope for safe measure.

1 Like

If the person states that he/she wants postcard without an envelope, I usually send it this way.
Although sometime people request just too much (place big beautiful stamps, a lot of stickers , write lyrics of your favourite song or describe your day)
How am I supposed to fit it all on a postcard?

I prefer to receive postcards in envelope
I do not care about postal stamps
I just like beautiful photo on the front and interesting message on the back

1 Like

Personally, I prefer no envelope – unless you think the card won’t make it without it. I know some of the vintage cards I’ve seen are occasionally a bit flimsy compared to more contemporary cards.

1 Like

I am completely new here and i was wondering. Generally speaking, do people prefer to receive their postcards plain or inside an envelope? When i send to friends i always put them inside envelopes to protect them, but if most people here like the vintage feel of a post card with a stamp on it, then i should choose that option.

What do you prefer?
Maria

7 Likes

Always do no envelope unless requested.

20 Likes

To me, if it’s in an envelope it is missing a lot of the charm of why I send postcards. I interpret this site as sending postcards that include stamps and messages, not as a way to collect blank postcards, but I will send one in an envelope if it is requested. Users who want them in an envelope will usually state that on their profile. I would not send in an envelope unless it specifically asked for that.

24 Likes

For me, the only good reasons to send postcards in an envelope are:

1. When you have too much to write and the space meant for the message is not enough.
  2. When you want to send several cards to the same adressee.
  3. When you are sending to the USA and the card is a bit thin - so it might not survive the often brutal handling by American sorting machines.
  4. When you’re sending to a stamp collector - to make it easier for her/him to get at the stamps without damaging the card :slight_smile:

In the old days, when postage was cheap, I even used to send postcards written&stamped (i.e. without an envelope) when I was sending four cards to the same person on the same day :slight_smile:

16 Likes

I do not mean send a blank post card. I meant send a written post card in an envelope for extra protection,

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your thorough reply :slight_smile:

Regardless, I would only do it if the person requests it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have only once sent a postcard in an envelope to someone who didn’t specifically request it. It was an official and the recipient’s profile had a note in it asking senders to watch several videos before sending them any cards. The videos were very serious and thought-provoking and were clearly very important to the Postcrosser in question. I felt like they deserved a detailed response, so I wrote them a letter and enclosed it in an envelope with a postcard (which I also wrote a message on).

In general, I don’t make a policy of sending postcards in envelopes. I agree with what other folks have said that sending postcards “naked” (written and stamped without an envelope) is the best policy unless there are special requests or some sort of extenuating circumstances involved.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Thank you, i’ve seen that, but is was a bit different from what i am asking that’s why i created a new post. I think i got my answer. No envelope!

3 Likes

I only send postcards in envelopes if that is requested. Otherwise, I send them without envelopes which was how postcards were designed to be sent in the first place.

6 Likes

Exactly the same for me too. But even if it is requested for the postcard to be in an envelope, I may not fulfil it all the time because it costs double the postage for me to mail an envelope as compared to a postcard.

9 Likes

Yeah I agree with the general consensus. I don’t usually use envelopes (and I would never buy them specifically, I just happen to have a few hanging about) as I think it kind of defeats the point of a postcard. If someone specifically requests one, I most likely will oblige. For example got an official address today and they asked nicely for it to be in an envelope if possible so it’s less likely to get damaged on the way, so I did stick it in one.

Some people like getting them in envelopes so they can save the stamps separately. I personally actually don’t like receiving postcards in envelopes as it feels like a bit of a waste and I like it all on the card so I can pop it in my postcard album. However there was one exception where I was sent quite a thick postcard which came in an envelope - I’m kind of glad they did as it was so beautiful! But it might have survived well out of the envelope anyway because it was so thick.

7 Likes

Thank you for this thorough reply :slight_smile: