Postcards named after places in other countries

Hi fellow Postcrossers!

For some reason I am really fascinated by places in the world that are named after other places. For example, in Ontario, Canada where I live, there is a town called Paris, Ontario. I was wondering if fellow Postcrossers have gotten postcards from places named after other countries or cities. I am totally fascinated and curious by this.

I joined Postcrossing last year, so this is still kinda new to me but I love that folks are passionate about postcards too!

12 Likes

There is a Paris, TX. It would be funny to get an Eiffel Tower from there.

3 Likes

That is so cool, thanks for sharing! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Actually, this is quite common. You have Moscow, Idaho; Rome (New York, Georgia); Vienna, Virginia; Berlin, Ohio.

4 Likes

I used to live in Hobart Indiana…Australians sending me cards always commented on this

5 Likes

Greetings from Naples, Florida! We’re a couple of hours south of St. Petersburg…

8 Likes

LOL. I love this! :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

There is a village named Szkocja (Scotland) in Poland, I once passed by it.

Interestingly, nearby is also a village named Zamość - not to confuse it with the city of Zamość with an UNESCO heritage site, in a completely different part of Poland :smile:

4 Likes

There are Jeruzalem and Podgorica in Slovenia.

3 Likes

Norway and Poland are neighboring towns in New York State

7 Likes

These are too hilarious. Thanks everyone for making my day! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

There’s a city in California named Ontario as well. I’ve always thought it would be fun to mail something from Ontario, CA (California) to Ontario, CA (Canada) or vice versa.

8 Likes

In the North of Germany at the Baltic Sea we have a small town and beach called Kalifornien (German for California).

It is said, that a fisher once found a piece of a ship on the beach. On the piece stood „California“ and so this became the name of the beach.

10 Likes

My aunt lives in Dublin, Georgia, USA

2 Likes

Brighton a city on the south coast of England, and a small village just across the Channel in France.

1 Like

There’s a Holland, Michigan that actually plays at being Holland, kind of a hokey tourist trap with a town tulip festival, et cetera. I’m sure their are postcards of that, though I’ve never actually seen them.

6 Likes

I have sent a couple of cards from the small town of Texas in southern Queensland to Postcrossers in the better known Texas :).

I bought a card depicting Lismore lighthouse when visiting the Isle of Lismore in Scotland - my local town is named for this location, though as it is fifty kilometres from the ocean it does not have a lighthouse of its own! I am waiting for the right person to send it to!

2 Likes

I live in Manhattan, Kansas, USA which is nothing like Manhattan, New York.

In Kansas we also have cities/towns of:

Toronto
Pilsen
Odense
Toulon
Dresden
Peru
Neuchatel
Zurich

Each one of these towns has a population of less than 500. A few less than 100 (not Manhattan though! Big city in Kansas LOL).

Add images

8 Likes

Hello @Tara_Bell I have it!

It’s funny that I post this image from Japan. And more, I received it from Germany!
It’s very postcrossing and I love it :two_hearts:

16 Likes

Oh that is too funny! What are the odds of both of us looking at this thread just hours apart, and you having a card from my state that I had merely guessed must exist? :grin:

5 Likes