Postcards named after places in other countries

We have one here in Victoria, Australia too!

2 Likes

This reminds me of Disney Channel show called Austin and Ally.

Ally is visiting Austin for the weekend in Portland to watch Austin’s concert. She gets out at the wrong airport since she goes to Portland, Maine, while Austin is in Portland, Oregon.
Then they arrange to meet up in Washington. Austin ends up in Washington, D.C., while Ally is in Seattle, Washington :rofl:

5 Likes

Closest I’ve sent is Manhattan Beach California. I wrote the postmaster for the postmark. It wasnt special, it was just the round one with the name and usps but they sent it back saying I should send a check of 1.25 i think for it. I never sent it back. A few weeks later i went to Los Angeles and placed it in a Bluebox so it could travel to the processing center and get the Los Angeles CA spray cancel with the wavy lines instead.

1 Like

Nearby there is Brasilien (Brazil).

I also know a small town called Amerika in Saxony, and Rom (Rome) near Schwerin.

2 Likes

I have this postcard showing foreign place names in the Netherlands:

19 Likes

There is also a Rome (Rom) in NorthRhine Westfalia, Germany.

And then in Austria a town that is not named after another city or country but an English word that is a bad word in English. Becuase so many people made fun of it they changed the spelling of the name.

1 Like

Being from The Netherlands, formerly known as Holland :grin:, I’ve always been amazed at how many places in the USA are named Holland. In October and November of 1996 two Dutch journalists visited all of them: 28! This trip was 20.000 km long and they wrote a book about it :+1:

7 Likes

In Northern Ireland we have a small town called Holywood. It is pronounced Hollywood, as in the neighbourhood in Los Angeles.

Both are clearly very different places,although we did have a famous Hollywood actor visit here last month(Pierce Brosnan):blush:

4 Likes

New England in the US is full of towns and rivers named after UK places. For example, you have New London on the River Thames in Connecticut :rofl:, but you can also visit Bristol, Colchester, Essex etc etc. It always cracks me up when I visit family in the area!

5 Likes

@Eef_NL This is a wonderful postcard!

In the northern part of Germany we have a village called Berlin which is ca. 360 km away from the capital Berlin. Somebody in the past had humour and gave some of the Streets names of typical places/streets in Berlin city: Potsdamer Platz, Unter den Linden, Heerstraße and Kurfürstendamm. When we drove there by chance on a journey some years ago, we really had to laugh about all these steet names in the village! If they have a postcard? I don’t know!!

5 Likes

This is so cool! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

My fun one lately was sending a postcard from Jersey :jersey: Channel Islands to a postcrosser in New Jersey :us:

4 Likes

I’ve been across the Thames at New London many times on I-95 (chief motorway between Boston and New York). Reading British books, the place names get to me as well: Swansea is further along on the way to Cape Cod, not all that far from Taunton, and quite close to Tiverton.

4 Likes

We have Brazil just a little further away from California, :grin: directly on the Baltic Sea in northern Germany

6 Likes

I live near New York in northern England - its a very small place. Washington is also just down the road.

3 Likes

There are several places around the world called Lidice after one of the Czech villages that Nazis massacred. They wanted to remove it from the map so the world put it back. You can read more in the Wikipedia.

On a more cheerful note, there is a national park called Czech Switzerland. I think it was used as one of the locations for the Narnia films.

3 Likes

Idea :bulb: : try adding a sentence on your profile indicating that you are interested in receiving cards from places named after other places. There are plenty. For instance, I live near Newcastle, Ontario, and there is an alliance - Newcastles of the World - established between them for the promotion of tourism, etc. Imagine getting a postcard from EVERY one of the more than 100 Newcastles!
Your statement could read something like:

I am interested in receiving cards with place names that are duplicated from one country to another. For instance, there is London (Ontario/UK) and Paris (Ontario/France) and Moscow (Idaho/Russia) and Rotterdam (New York/Netherlands).

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I was afraid to mention preferences because postcrossing always says connecting not collecting, but I guess it’s okay to say things that one likes, but that people can send whatever they want.

3 Likes

I’ve received a card from Birmingham, Alabama, which I’m told is near Leeds. Still hoping to get a card from there!

4 Likes

This is the best! :smile:

2 Likes