Postcard Descriptions - do you use them?

I usually haven’t filled in the description field on my postcards, but I can see how it would be useful, both for myself and for others who might be looking for additional information - particularly on art cards.

Do you use them? For most cards or only certain types (art being one that comes immediately to mind)?

1 Like

I’ve only used the description field for one purpose–to indicate that someone has sent me a greeting card rather than a postcard. I know in some cultures, there’s no distinction between the two, but I like to be clear about this. I think it also helps on the off chance that a random person is browsing my wall wondering if they can get a particular postcard. It will indicate to them that it’s a greeting card instead so they don’t go off on a wild goose chase trying to find a postcard that doesn’t exist.

1 Like

I want to know what is represented on a postcard and I guess others will too. Therefore I always add the relevant information as image description.

For the postcard I sent, if the recipient is not filling in the image description, I add the information in the comments to the postcard.

I am sorry this is not common practice as I often want to know what is represented on cards others received but nothing is indicated.

8 Likes

I do as @syaffolee and indicate folded cards in the description, as well as cards sent from another country than the ID says.
I also write the description that is printed on the back of the card into the description, as I like to be precise there. :slight_smile: When there’s a lot of text, I write it in the comments, like @PasoDoble .

Yes, I use them for postcards with birds to indicate bird species and for art to indicate author name :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Very good idea with adding descriptions in comments to our sent postcards. I always describe received cards and will do it your way with sent ones. Thanks for your suggestion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been adding where the card originated, like which box set.

I’m not really using the description field, because I’m waaaay behind on scanning received cards. I would complete it on every card I send if I could, but I can’t. :frowning_face:

:exploding_head: I never even thought about it! :fearful: And barely noticed that such option exists!
Occasionally I used comments if I had to say something about the card…

It makes total sense to add a description but it never occurred to me before right this moment! :sweat_smile:

Sometimes I do, if the card has an interesting information about it and the sender tells me about it or when I feel like it can be useful. But most of the times I don’t. It’s a good idea though.

I used to do it quite a bit, but then I got lazy… :sweat_smile: I might try to do it more often in the future!