Passive agressive message

I think the user that sent that message should receive a kind reminder from the Postcrossing team about Postcrossing goals and telling that passing judgement is not welcome. For me it’s rude and unacceptable.

1 Like

“Actually you did not think the sender would write the same thing to a user in Japan. That is called a biased opinion, which is held in a negative direction in this case.”
No. That is called a reckoning with existing reality. I am now beginning to doubt whether it is safe to continue sending postcards to Belarus - or the recipient may be in trouble for contact with a “hostile country”. I can understand the point of @kafkaisnotdead- " For me Postcrossing is relatively affordable way to feel connected with other world, to get some sense on normality. I read about people’s day, about their hobbies, and I get a physical confirmation that, in fact, normal outside world is still exists and I’m a part of it."-
but I’m still worried about safety of recipient. I’m not worried about someones safety in Japan or in Lithuania, but in Belarus. Is that understandable?

1 Like

I think the sender probably have that kind of thoughts because there is no active postcrossers from Lebanon other than the receiver and his wife. So probably the sender have an impression that everyone in Lebanon are very busy and have no time for postcard activities?

Would it be possible that they just have a wrong impression about Lebanon? Or the sender have no one to explain to them how nice and beautiful country Lebanon is? It’s the duty of the receiver to correct the sender if he wish to. Because only he can correct and explain the misunderstanding about the sender’s opinion for every citizen of Lebanon that are not taking part in Postcrossing.

First of all should ask the sender how the sender reached such final conclusion that everyone in Lebanon should be very busy instead of doing Postcrossing right? Try to understand the sender’s thoughts first. Before making an assumption that the sender is heartless and insensitive.

A little effort to contact the sender and correct the sender’s thoughts is mostly favourable rather than letting the sender keep thinking… Lebanon people should stay being very busy and have no life in Postcrossing!

I don’t want to sound pity to the receiver. If receiver tried to to explain the situation in Lebanon to the sender. And if sender still have the same kind of thoughts. Then I will say the sender can go eat dirt!

Or just keep on sending postcards and forget this whole insensitive incident! Life is too precious to be offended by a single encounter! You have many beautiful encounter waiting for you as you know majority people in Postcrossing are very kind and warm. Nicest family I ever known!

Notes to future readers of this thread, I’m not following the conversation exchanging in between Ryuuen (Japan) and S_Tuulie (Finland). I’m reacting to the original poster of this thread that is mazenfakih (Lebanon). I may or may not response to your enquiry about my post. I just want to share my opinion to mazenfakih since he posted in the forum for discussion and not discussing about me and my post. Thank you for your kind understanding.

5 Likes

But it’s good that this theme exists. Thanks to its opener! These are things that are good to pronounce, not to swallow quietly.

1 Like

I would be honoured if i have to send a card to uncommon countries, and especially countries that are experiencing a hard time in any way! Cause the majority of people who start postcrossing do it for the love and happiness about sending and receiving postcards and stamps i think :gift_heart: and so do i spread only love with them. throwing love in the air like confetti :tada::confetti_ball: big hug for you and your wife

3 Likes

Thank you for raising this, @S_Tuulia.

I had wondered the same thing, and in fact as a non-native speaker I could have made an unclear remark myself - having the best intention, but being clumsy about it.

Also, I was really surprised that everybody assumed the worst about the sender, when usually people find all kinds of explanations if someone sends a sub-par item.
Why not extend the same generous assumption when it comes to this text fragment?
And this is not the same as offering support and consolation to the receiver - which is the right and beautiful thing to do.

4 Likes

If i may chime in, I assume it’s because of this description in the first paragraph, as a non-native speaker i would be triggered,

“for [they, the sender] should think that it’s (sic) inhabitants have more urgent things on their mind than sending postcards around the world”

the sender could find other beautiful things they can share other than stating their opinion on something about what the receiver should or shouldn’t be put on his mind, especially IF the sender wasn’t born or live in that country.

just my opinion.

Agreed with this.

There is a common opinion about countries, where have more urgent things on their mind than sending postcards around the world. Maybe that sender have read those themas (abot Africa, for example) and haven’t imagine, that regarding one very rare Middle East country the same view will be an insult. And there is some reason why there are practically no postcrossers from Lebanon, except our offended member, right?

Hey everyone! I think this topic has run its course and I’m going to close it now, as it has spiralled into a fight between a couple of members, which isn’t very productive. :disappointed:

@mazenfakih I’m sorry that you’ve received this message, which does feel a little insensitive… even if probably the sender didn’t intend it that way. I hope you took the opportunity to broaden the person’s horizons, and shared with them the point of view of a local — which is probably more valuable (and less doom and gloom) than what they hear daily on TV.

17 Likes