On Wax Seals

Hi

I’ve always been a fan of snail mail, and to make my writing more aesthetically appealing, I’ve turned to wax seals!

I’ll just like to share some of my seals, and see what you lovely people use as well!

Starting this thread to 抛砖引玉 (throw a brick in order to attract a gem)

14 Likes

These two are from the series Mo Dao Zu Shi, with the top one representing the family crest of Wei Wuxian, while the bottom represents the family crest of Lan Wangji

Size: 30mm

20 Likes

These are the starry series: Starry Whale and Starry Dragon.

14 Likes

And my favourites, the whales.

Top one is 前世鲸生 (Past life, present [whale] life)

Bottom one is 鲸落星辰 (Whale falling among the stars)

16 Likes

Smaller whales!

Size: 25mm

13 Likes

I also received a very beautiful whale seal from @Natea, many thanks! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

33 Likes

Beautiful

They’re very beautiful!

I follow a lady on Tiktok, she does wonders with wax seals. She uses many colours. First one colour then cut, then second pour, cut and third pour. For example she would do one colour then cut out the whale, then pour another colour with the whale in its place at the waxseal (it’s hard to explain) I’ll try to find a link

This is one of my favourites I saw her making

27 Likes

That’s pretty amazing! Wonder how you do that layering

These are all so pretty I like the dragon one.

-First pour the wax at the wings, directly at the upside down stamp, then scrape away the excess, with a pointy tool take off the wings and cut the excess, cleaning the shape

• pour the black wax at the body, always over the upside down stamp, take off and cut clean.
  • place the body at the stamp, place the wings over and pour the golden over the upside down stamp, scrape off the excess
  • pour the light blue over a mat, place the stamp with the layers on it
    (I’ve tried but it’s so difficult to have a good result!! Better start with simple shapes :wink:)
5 Likes

Thank you. Sounds like very precise work! The stamps are not very deep. At least not the ones I have. Might try it though.

2 Likes

This particular stamp is indeed deeper. 3D wax stamp
I think I’m gonna get one myself. It’s so beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you Chris! @schrizzo

(The seal reads Happy Mail - it doesn’t show up clearly on the picture for some reason)

6 Likes

Hello!

Today I bought a wax seal stamp and some sealing wax and I am exited to try it for the first time :slight_smile:

Also, today I ordered at a Japanese 100 yen shop (like a dollar / euro shop) several wax seal stamps and sealing wax, which are new release there - all 100 yen each, wow !! So inexpensive !!

I will show you here later how mine come out :slight_smile:

Please show us if you have your wax seals :slight_smile:

14 Likes
3 Likes

@Seracker

Thank you!

5 Likes

I tried wax seals for the first time tonight and here are the results. I only have a wax seal stamp of a bird on the branch as of now :

17 Likes

How come I haven’t seen this thread until now? :scream:

Here are some of my plant seals of the last months

Last year I also tried the “multiple pour/cut” technique

And here is my “Happy Mail” seal

32 Likes