Official limit, reached or not?

Heyho,
I can currently send 12 card at the same time and I filled all the spots. I know that at some point I probably won’t fill all the spots anymore because it will be too expensive.
But what about you? Where is your current limit and do you always fill all the slots?

4 Likes

No, never! :laughing:

There was a time, when I had every card possible travelling, but that is a long time ago. I am not obsessed enough anymore. :wink:

1 Like

My current limit is 22, but I try not to have more than 10 non-expired cards travelling at a time.
Experience tells me that this should result in me sending 10-12 cards a month. Cost is one reason , but also I want to enjoy every experience of choosing and writing a card, and I know that this would not be the case if I was constantly trying to fill all my slots.

9 Likes

what was the highest you reached before you stopped filling all the spots?

1 Like

I currently have 7 spots i can fill. They are all filled out now. Whenever i get spots open again i won’t immidiately fill them again. Just whenever i have the time for it, since it can take me up to 30 minutes for one card ( i am trying to find the best fitted card for that person, decorating, writing etc).
If i had them all empty… i mostly tried to fill them all, but since another topic brought me some rest in sending the cards etc… i guess i would just do 3 or 4 at the time, so i can really take my time and enjoy it even more :smiley:

1 Like

I honestly don’t know, 50 maybe?! Then I sometimes drew all addies before I went on holiday, or before a meeting, but now, with 100 slots, that is really not necessary anymore (for me!). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My current limit is 51 cards, but I never have that many traveling at the same time. It’s too expensive, for one thing. Also, I would not have enough time to give each card personal attention. I like to participate in forum exchanges, so that also cuts down on the number of official cards I can send.

2 Likes

My limit is 14, and it nearly 15.
I send about 2-4 postcards a week, but I try to send many postcards to (nearly or) reach the limit when I travel outside Bangkok or go abroad. I reserve some left quota postcards before my big trip.

But I think I can’t send to reach the limit, except when many traveling postcards are not reaching their destinations. Because I use the writing (and decorating) time about half to an hour per a postcard, and the postal rate for postcard from Thailand to international destinations has been increased a lot (THB 50 now — equal a meal of comfort food in Thailand).

3 Likes

My limit now is 98, I have 11 travelling.
Most I had travelling was something over 40 I think. After that the travelling cards start arriving. So with my normal card sending I can never use all those slots, it would need some situation that I take all the addresses at once (now I take one at a time), or mail strike not forwarding my cards etc.

1 Like

My limit is 22 and I have 13 travelling now (I think!).

Up until around 14-15 I would fill every slot, but about then it started feeling overwhelming to stay on top of it like that and so I let it go. Now when I feel like pulling some more officials, I do, and otherwise I don’t stress it.

That’s an interesting question! I have the maximum of 100 traveling cards, but since about one and a half year I don’t use them fully anymore.

Before, I used every spot at once until I had reached about 50 spots. Until 70, I remember using them fully for Postcrossing Meetups, or when I had time to write 20 cards in one weekend. :blush:

Sending really slowed down when we moved flats last autumn, since then I’m only drawing 5-10 addresses per week. I didn’t have the time and / or energy to write more.

4 Likes

At some point it is also a question of time to keep all the slots engaged and write all the cards and to me that is crucial. I do have all hundered possible slots, but usually only 20 to 40 of them are in use, for writing more cards costs too much time. And tje more cards one writes, the more they receive. And all received cards should get an appropriate registration message.

I think, I kept all slots engaged until I got 70 or 80 slots, then it slowed down. Now I use the maximum only in December for Postcards for a good cause:

6 Likes

Right now I have 59 cards travelling. 20 of those are expired (but could still be registered), but 7 of those cards are to people that have not been around for more than 3 months, 2 have not been ‘seen’ in more than 1 month.

That said, after much snailmail not arriving in the USA since ~ October last year, some cards are now arriving, so I have hope for some expired cards.

Like many of you said: for me it is also very important to send the best (= most fitting) card, decorated, with special stamps… That takes me 15 - 30 minutes and my life is not just writing cards.

Recently I even only open my profile occasionally for 1 minute (!) at a time, as I like to write a good message for worthy cards. But everyone gets at least a ‘thank you’!

4 Likes

yes

6 Likes

My current limit is 56. Right now, I’m not requesting addresses until 7:00pm EDT (UTC / GMT-5) on April 7, 2024.

April 8, 2024 is the Great North American Eclipse. My town, Ashtabula, is in the Path of Totality for about 4 minutes. I have to work, but will be allowed an hour outside to watch it. I’ve talked to the clerks at the post office. I’ve ordered a bunch of custom eclipse postcards to send and since I’ll drop them off at the post office before work, they’ll be postmarked on the date - no special postmark, unfortunately, but two great designs!

Then, in May, I’m going to Germany. Postage from Germany to everywhere is cheaper for me, so I’ll keep my traveling cards at 56 while I’m there. Once I get back, I’ll give my postage budget a rest and then send 10 or whatever we’re allowed for World Postcard Day as officials. Next year, unless I travel outside of the US, or unless there’s something unusual going on, I’ll probably cut back to having 25 cards traveling at a time.

12 Likes

Limit: 55
Traveling: 47

I’ve found that for me around 50, I start to receive cards almost daily, and my cards arrive almost daily. Between logging received cards and writing new ones, 50 seems to be about the sweet spot for me. As I get beyond that i find it hard to keep up, between this and other correspondence. As this a a form of joy for me, I am sensitive to not making it a chore.

6 Likes

I currently have a limit of 12 slots and I fill them all on the same day the slot becomes available. The reason for this is that I am from Australia and it takes ages for cards to arrive anywhere! My goal is to be able to send a postcard every morning, which I would like to write when I am drinking my morning cup of tea. At the moment I have 13 cards travelling. One has expired as it is travelling to a user who hasn’t logged in for the past 24 days. I have been postcrossing for a year and a half.

Despite turning on the option to send cards within my country I have never drawn a local address - I guess my cards are needed elsewhere. Often a week will go by where none of my sent cards have been registered and I am unable to send one any.

I have used travel mode when I was visiting my parents in New Zealand but that was no faster! I will be using it again when I visit my penfriend in Uzbekistan. Maybe that will be a little quicker???

I am often frustrated by the strict limits, that grow so slowly. It impacts a bit harder for those of us from countries that are distant from the countries that are the biggest users of Postcrossing.

I have used the forum for trades or tags but I prefer the randomness of officials.

9 Likes

The eclipse sounds really exciting!

2 Likes

Like @Queen_of_the_Hounds, my limit is 12 and I always have it maxed out. I imagine I’ll stop having my slots maxed out when I get to the point where I can send a card a day — for the moment (being in Australia from where pretty much all cards take 3-8 weeks to arrive), I sometimes go an entire week without having a slot opened, but usually I send roughly 3 official cards per week.

6 Likes

My current limit is 17 cards, but I rarely have more than 12 or 13 cards travelling at once. There was (is?) an issue with Austrian mail not reaching USA, so I’ve had at least 2 slots occupied by those cards since autumn.

1 Like