Month of Letters

Today, 16th of Feb,I am back to sending postcards to others. One is for a swap, and the other is for the official.

2 Likes

I wrote a postcard to my best friend yesterday.
I have been waiting ages (well, okay, days, but it felt like ages) for my sent postcards to be registered so I can draw an address and Iā€™m happy at least one reached its destination today, but I wonā€™t make it to use the slot today, so Iā€™ll simply miss this day.

@MarijnPascal I love that frog postcard :heart:

2 Likes

Sending these two lovelies today.

The fox is for the Postcard from your last trip or vacation tag from my trip to the Isle of Wight back in October (and itā€™s UK bound which means not as expensive to post!)

The map is for official Postcrossing. I bought this years ago and planned to send it to a friend in Australia but I never did. Iā€™ve been saving it to send to an address far away and today I got New Zealand! I stitched it myself (the postcard came with needle and thread)

I have been neglecting official postcrossing as have got myself involved with loads of tags and RRs itā€™s been keeping me busy this month :joy:

6 Likes

Oh! We once sent the same postcard from Portugal to Puerto Rico, just across the ocean! Theyā€™re great! :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

The same thing happened to me!
On Monday, I sent out an official postcard for the first time in February. Yesterday, it was a card for an old lady who will turn 83 and today there are two official postcards again.

8 Likes

I am LOVING all these cards - especially the birdhouse. I love birds :slight_smile:

@meiadeleite no way! I canā€™t even remember where I bought it :joy: discovered they do country maps too which is cool. P.S. Iā€™ve just been watching your TED talk :smile:

3 Likes

Cheery reminders that spring will come.
Right? :wink:

2 Likes

Itā€™s been a real pleasure writing postcards everyday and running to the mailbox outside, since I donā€™t go out that often now, this is a nice excuse especially now, when we still have some nice snow covering the city :snowman:
Some beauties travelling to New Zealand, Germany, US, UK and Finland :mailbox_with_mail:

7 Likes

Yesterday, a letter was sent to Poland. Today, I think I will dedicate it to official postcards

I wrote a postcard every day. I didnā€™t think I would be able to, but so far so good. :crossed_fingers:
This one is going to South Africa (with some used stamps for her mixed media projects). :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Today I spent some time writing a letter to my friend in the US - weā€™ve been writing back and fourth since 2014 after we shared a room at summer school in Austria.

Itā€™s the first time Iā€™ve written to her since I joined Postcrossing so I used loads of the stickers Iā€™ve acquired for Postcrossing, and itā€™s the first time Iā€™ve posted it with ā€œnormalā€ stamps rather than going to the post office - now that Postcrossing has helped me understand postage costs to around the world!

And naturally Iā€™ve told her about Postcrossing as I think sheā€™d be interested in it too. Hoping she joins!

3 Likes

I missed another day this week but Iā€™m happy that today I drew an address to which I can mail one of these great and really old postcards I got just last week:

5 Likes

I managed to send a postcard each day so far, but the last few days I was so busy, I almost missed the mailbox collection time one day.

3 Likes

Still going strong, with more than one Postcrossing item sent each day last week. For example, mail posted this morning: Month of Letters; swap, official Postcrossing.
I cannot believe we are winding down the Month of Letters this week! My goal this week is to mail two official Postcrossing (assigned today), two birthday cards, and some letters to friends.

Spurred on by my happy experience with Month of Letters, I decided to join the All about Women round robin. Looking forward to some more fun there!
As an aside, winter finally arrived this month in Southern Ontario! More snow today. WooHoo!
Have a great day, and enjoy your last week of Month Letters!
Helen @hookedonpostcards

5 Likes

So far, still on schedule, but today was quite an adventure!
After I got up this morning, I posted two postcards I had written yesterday, but after I threw them in, I realised I forgot to put stamps on them :scream:

As I had witnessed the mail box being emptied at 5.32 pm one day, I thought I would post in front of the mail box from 5.30 on. I was waiting, and waiting, but today the mail man was late. The clock turned 6, and I was very close to leaving, but I was sure that the minute I would leave, the mail man would come. At 6.32 he still hadnā€™t come and I was about to give up, but I had one more look behind meā€¦ and there he was!
As soon as I approached him, he told me he could not help me, because of data protection etc, but after opening the mail box, he dropped the mailā€¦, and of course I helped him pick everything up and that way I could recover my postcards and put stamps on them:

8 Likes

So glad you werenā€™t locked in the mailbox!
Otherwise, weā€™d never have a chance to read about your missing stamp adventure.
Thanks for sharing ā€¦ !! :laughing:
Good thing you didnā€™t have to also deal with a cat guard in the mail slot!

1 Like

Well, last Month of Letters day today. The month has flown!
Something sent out every day of this Month of Letters. Although I used time on weekends to organize myself a few days in advance, it has been a bit of a mad dash at times!
Since we are still in semi-quarantine, my partner got in the game, suggesting that we write to each other, every other day. An interesting experiment that we like so much that we will continue.
My last Month of Letters batch is now in the mail. It includes a particular postcard selected for my brother, Joe (below). He delivers medication for several pharmacies to individuals unable to leave home. Many are at-home patients, in palliative care. He is very charismatic and I expect quite cheery for the patients he visits. He is always sad when a patient dies, especially if they are one to whom he has delivered regularly for months.
As we know, the pandemic has been particularly hard for frontline workers in health fields. Knowing that it would be hard for Joe, who lives on his own, I have sent him a postcard each week since quarantine began in Canada in March, 2020. This was before I learned about Postcrossing. Most Joe postcards have been funny ones; heā€™s the clown in our large family. Some have been trips through childhood memories. Some have been like those our grandfather sent decades ago; telling about a place or time in history. When he receives his postcard in the mail, he calls me and we talk about it. Weā€™ve have had a lot of laughs this past year, despite everything pandemicā€¦ yesterday, we talked about my turkey vulture postcard ā€¦ and the story I wrote about the one IN my car because I volunteered as a ā€˜runnerā€™ for a bird rehab centre. S-T-I-N-K-Y bird! I must say, I do wonder if his mailperson reads the postcards.
So, hereā€™s Joeā€™s "Keep Calm ā€¦ " postcard. My last official Month of Letters sent today, February 28. In case you are wondering, I found it on RedBubble; they have lots of people names.
Thank you all for the lovely mail that has been trickling in through the Month of Letters! Each item is a ray of sunshine through a grey pandemic February. I have enjoyed reading about your lives and seeing interesting images that fill the hole I feel from missed (cancelled) travels of this past year.
And because Iā€™ve enjoyed this month so much, Iā€™m going to continue the project of sending a postcard or letter daily. Not sure how long this will carry on ā€¦
Thank you @meiadeleite for facilitating this wonderful month. I donā€™t suffer from SAD (Seasonally Affective Disorder), as many Canadians do, but these times certainly make us all feel a bit affected by the season of Covid.
Cheers, and Happy Postcrossing! :love_letter:
Helen

4 Likes

Wow, @HookedonPostcards, such a nice postcard!
It seemed you managed very well and it is great it brought you so much joy and you managed to make semi-quarantine lighter with writing letters. It is great that you continue, and the good thing will be that there will be less pressure to send one letter each day, so more fun.

It is so nice especially in these corona times to reach out to friends this way - since you cannot meet in person, an actual letter breaks the monotony.

I have to say, keeping up with month of Letters was quite hard at times, especially because there is so much going on in my life right now. But I managed to write/send at least one letter/postcard each day - although I almost had to tackle the mailman once to achieve this. There is a first time for everything!

I havr to admit I am looking forward to the prospect of not having to send a postcard every day anymore - it was a little much, especially since I will be leaving my job (was a bit crazy with having to finish everything) and start a new one soon.

1 Like

I managed to send 2 - 4 cards or postcards a day! I also have 8 more to go out in tomorrowā€™s mail (technically written on Feb 28) :love_letter: Iā€™m pretty isolated where I am currently working, and the weather hasnā€™t been great, so this was a wonderful distraction for the month.

2 Likes

Wow! Impressive effort. Hope you get lots of :love_letter: back.

2 Likes