Meteorology statistics on postcards

And did you know that Fahrenheit was buried in The Hague? The church were he was buried (the Kloosterkerk) had a memorial plaque with a thermometrer.

5 Likes

I always write it, a lot of people ask for it so now itā€™s a routine for me - it doesnā€™t take that much space. I also write the date.
When I get cards with it I find so interesting. For instance, take a day when itā€™s 30Ā°C where I live and I get a card saying it was -15Ā°C - itā€™s fun!

3 Likes

Well, itā€™s not something that I would request someone to write on a postcard to me, but if the Postcrosser Iā€™m sending to requests for it, I will just add it. Likewise, if the Postcrosser adds that to the postcard he/she sends me, it is interesting for me to just take a look too.

I guess itā€™s interesting for me because I live in Singapore, which is just right on the Equator, and the only weather we get here is sunny/cloudy/rainy. We donā€™t have four seasons, and neither do we get much of other weather phenomenon like mist/fog.

3 Likes

I think its a very funny idea, i just bought stickers for it and plan to use it. Why not. Itā€™s not taking that my space in my opinion and for different countries nice to see:)

2 Likes

I agree. Especially when I get mail from really warm or cold places, it makes me think! Or I think, wow! It was sunny in London and they are still sitting at home writing postcards!

Someone wrote in an ā€œold Forumā€ thread about this something like ā€œwell, what time was it? It makes a difference if it is -6Ā°C at 6 a.m. or at 4 p.m. after all!ā€ The commentator meant this a bit tongue-in-cheek-sarcastically, but they are right! Since I read that I often include the time as well.

6 Likes

I finally got around to reading the rest of this thread. As for distanceā€“I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever written about specific miles or kilometers in any of the postcards Iā€™ve sent out. Instead, Iā€™ve measured distance by the time traveled. So I would say, ā€œX place is two hours drive south of where I live.ā€ I think unlike miles or kilometers which everyone has to convert, everyone knows how long an hour is (unless youā€™re a physics nerd who wants to get picky since time does run a tiny bit faster at higher elevationsā€¦)

3 Likes

I only put it in for three reasons:
Iā€™m asked for it.
Thereā€™s a little gap in the text that I would like to cover.
I make a spelling error early on and turn it into a cloud.

I donā€™t mind miles, I can live with them - I just take them as the same thing as kilometres since it really makes no difference. Time is easily a more useful measure. I can knit in inches as well as centimetres but they donā€™t really link in my mind. It doesnā€™t matter as long as Iā€™m consistent.

Fahrenheit on the other hand feels like measuring distance in blocks of cheese.

2 Likes

Hi all,

A Brit here, we are one of those Oddball nations,

We measure temperature in Celsius (we donā€™t get any Fahrenheit reports anymore).

However the road signs are measured in Miles, but we dispense petrol/diesel in Litres, but buy our Milk in pints/gallons.
Measure weight in grams and kilos,
Measurements are done in either inches/feet/yards or millimetres/centimetres/metres

Eh!? scratches head

Back to the weather,
we used to love talking about the weather in this country, as we are under the cross-roads of the worldā€™s weather systems.
We complain it rains all the time, then we complain sometimes its to hot, sunny and dry! We never really the opportunity to get used to it.

Ive only written the weather a few times, when it mentions it in the postcrossers bio.
Most of my card received have the temperature and the basic weather conditions.

I donā€™t normally go out of my way to write it.

2 Likes

Same in Canada, but distance and weather in metric. Weight is in pounds, personā€™s height is in feets, but elevations is in meters. It is a mess.

My favourite is sometimes we write date as MMDDYY other times as DDMMYY - makes my day interesting trying to figure out the proper date. Haha

For postcards, I always write my weather. I think it is interesting as Ottawaā€™s weather can be quite different from day to day. I like it when someone writes their weather, but I donā€™t request it.

3 Likes

I always have Siri or Alexa convert the F to C for me when I write as a matter of routine. However, as a sheltered American, I never know how precise I should be. For instance, today it is -12.8 C here. Do I round to -13? Such things I never thought about until I started Postcrossing!

1 Like

I normally write ā€œ-6,9 Cā€, because it comes automatically.
But, I have thought, someone must think Iā€™m very pedantic about weather.

2 Likes

I like it, it gives me small look into someone elseā€™s day
so I also do it in return, it only takes up like a square cm :sun_behind_small_cloud:

I use Celsius, km traveled distance (when asked for, I donā€™t usually put this in), and day-month-year

2 Likes

It seems to me that it creates the effect of presence. If you are interested in information about the person who sent the postcard, then the weather surrounding him will also contribute to the immersion at the time of writing the postcard. Think about the sender. He was thinking about you at that moment :slight_smile:

I prepared such a picture and ordered the printing of stickers for this purpose)

11 Likes

At the very top of the card, I put date, temp range and a one word description (sunny, cloudy, snow, etc.) in the recipients own language. I do it so they can know what conditions Iā€™m writing in, and also I learn how to write a foreign word. They donā€™t have to read it, but its something I like to include. I always send my cards on the same day I write them so they can see when it was actually sent (which up to this point does coincide with the date on Post Crossing. I never request an address on a Sunday or a US holiday when the US Postal Service isnā€™t working.

2 Likes

True, everyone knows how long an hour is, but we all drive at different speed limits. A two hour drive for you, could easily be 3-4 hours for me, as we have quite strict speed limits here. So unless you tell me your speed, I still wonā€™t know how far away something is. :smile:

3 Likes

Should you write the temperature in Fahrenheit, I would wonder how are you surviving at first. But I would realize sooner or later, check on the conversion, laugh and learn. So, go for those Fahrenheit!

1 Like

I usually donā€™t write temperature since I always write my cards later in the evening. Donā€™t expect me to remember weather and temperature that was this day :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I rather drink it than measure itā€¦ cheers! :beers:

1 Like

Maybe I should leave it ambiguous when I write that itā€™s been 100+ degrees here for the past few weeks, so that people imagine that Iā€™m some sort of fire monster. :fire::smiling_imp::fire:

@RalfH, Iā€™ll drink to thatā€“prost! :beers:

6 Likes

I totally support that idea :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like