Meet-ups outside of London?

@jobloggs I know :grimacing: - I did think of you. I nearly tagged you in but then thought, it is such a loonnngggg drive for you! :flushed: I am glad that you are at least considering thinking about it though, if something does come off - it would be nice to meet you! :smile:

1 Like

How about the Cerne Giant or Corfe Castle?

4 Likes

I love Corfe Castle!! :smiley:

It would be great to meet you too, and any others! It would be dependent on being able to get a few days off work!

1 Like

It’s not far from me, just 2h drive.
I think it’s good for @TinyMouse

2 Likes

Good suggestion!
I’m in.

Hi folks! @JustJo @jobloggs @JennyAssis @TinyMouse @Ali_caj @MoominMog @geo_ and anyone else who might be interested…. :smile:

Full disclosure/‘small print’ before we get any further into this because this seems to be getting a bit more serious nowwww!!!…. I have no idea what I am doing!!! Never planned a meet-up before - very much not a natural hostess - have absolutely no idea what to do about a meet-up card!!! Can’t quite work out how I got here!!! :crazy_face::face_with_peeking_eye:

Okay, phew - big girl pants on - here we go…… :nerd_face:

It looks like we’ve got a positive response for a meet-up at Corfe Castle then…?:grinning:

When’s a good day for everyone? Most meet-ups seem to happen on a Saturday - does this feel like the best day for everyone?

I was thinking that we should maybe book a table in one of the local places? Probably an indoor table, given changeable British weather. I have no idea where though. What do other people do? Ring round places and see what the reception is like for booking a table for a meet-up? I know I’m going to want a cuppa and to eat lunch etc, but not assuming others will. But I would assume that anywhere we might book would expect to make food/drink sales…… :woman_shrugging:t3:

When’s good meeting time? What’s the usual form?

Local knowledge suggestion I would very strongly advise not meeting up in the peak weeks of the school holidays, half terms etc. Corfe Village and the castle gets extremely busy and parking becomes very challenging. Plus, aesthetically, it affects the atmosphere of the place. Corfe Village is small and fills up with people very fast. A ‘normal’ Saturday in decent weather is going to make it busy enough.

Any questions/points that I haven’t thought of? More than happy to accept helppppp!!! :grin:

5 Likes

I fully sympathise @TeaCakesAndBooks , I’ve arranged a meet-up in Bristol next month where I’ve never even been :joy: (with lots of help from a local Postcrosser!)

Luckily we have wonderful people who will help! While i don’t want to offer her services without asking, @JennyAssis has designed many meet-up cards and they’re fantastic- something I wouldn’t ever be able to do unless they featured stick people! :joy:

I would suggest booking a table, I imagine everyone will have a drink and most will eat; the card signing is an important part of the day so a pre-booked table would definitely take away some stress, especially if it’s busy!

Saturdays are generally the day picked (sometimes Sundays too). Often something like meet for an activity at 11 and then lunch and signing cards at 1 (it’s useful to clarify this for people who might just want to come for lunch / signing, this often happens if people have visited the attraction / activity before).

Just ask here for any help, and remember everyone that’s ever organised a meet-up did it for the first time once! :hugs:

5 Likes

Thank yoooouuuuuu @jobloggs! Bless your heart for replying so quickly! :gift_heart::blush: Everything you say make sense. :grin:

So more questions then obviously!! (For anyone to answer if they can/want to - not intending to put pressure on @jobloggs :grin::heart_hands:)

Do we need to book a table for at least three hours then? :thinking::face_with_monocle:

Need to research Corfe Castle opening/closing times?

Need to research where we can book a table?

Does everyone want a meet-up card and is there someone (not automatically assuming @JennyAssis will/can do it :heart_hands::slightly_smiling_face:) who can do this?

Let’s call it a Saturday then, unless there is strong resistance! :smile:

Off to lie down in a darkened room for a while nowwww!!! :face_with_spiral_eyes::joy:

4 Likes

Hey, I’m sure it’ll all go to plan.

Corfe Castle is on my list of places to visit I think its 2 to 3 hours from me. So pop me down as a maybe :blush:

To make it possible for those traveling further a later start could be good. When i arranged a meetup in Portsmouth (the one time). We had a start of 1pm. People came from as far away as Scotland! on the same day. Which I was so surprised by! I like a later start as it gives time for travel but early birds can still arrive earlier and explore the area.

Weekend probably works best asauming people are working 9-5 and then a Saturday as places are normally open later. Although a Sunday could also work. But pick a day with enough notice so those who may need to book a day off have chance.

Ooh, also have a look at the other meetup dates and dont pick one too near the others.

With picking somewhere for food I’d try to get somewhere thats not too expensive and is possible just to buy a drink. So there is a choice especially for those on a budget.

Also if the attraction Corfe Castle has an entrace fee some may choose to just do the meetup part.

It sounds like a fab meetup location. Any questions just ask, everyone was so helpfull when I set up the Portsmouth one last year.

4 Likes

Great advice, especially about picking a date not too close to any existing meet-ups! (There is 1 not yet on the forum as it’s a way off but pencilled in by the organisers for 15th September!)

I’ve only been to 2 meet-ups and the café / signing part has been 2 - 2.5 hours.

By all means have a look for cafés but also see if the castle has one for ease? Both meets I’ve been to (and the one I’ve planned) have involved lunch / signing at the same site as the attraction, means no moving about or having to think about public transport for those who haven’t driven.

I don’t think you HAVE to have a meet-up card but I’ve never heard of a UK meet without one, they’re so popular and the card signing is fun! Someone will definitely help :blush:

3 Likes

@jobloggs @TinyMouse All good points - thank you both. :blush::heart_hands: I’ve bookmarked your advice! :crazy_face::laughing:

Not gonna lie - feeling a bit overwhelmed nowww! :smile: Think I will have to do some research and ringing around. I’ll come back with my findings. :grin::+1:

1 Like

First bit of research - Corfe Castle has a list of ‘peak season’ dates where they charge £1 more for entry into the castle (as of their website on this time and date) for these dates…

1 Like

Worth avoiding those then (not so much for the extra cost but for the crowds!) Sadly it looks like most weekends until October!

2 Likes

I have fired off an email to Corfe Model Village Cafe to ask if they are open to us having a table for ten for two to three hours sometime in Autumn/October possibly! I’ve explained the reason and that we’ll want to eat, drink, chat, sign postcards, come and go etc. I have also said that it will be highly likely that we will want to buy postcards from their gift shop. :laughing:

I am hoping they will check out the Postcrossing website and be up for it! :crossed_fingers::smile: We’ll see what they come back with. :tipping_hand_woman:t3:

I’m trying to consider different needs/budgets…. Some pubs/eateries in Corfe are a bit pricey due to tourism. :woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

Yes I’m sure we’ll buy a postcard or 20! :wink:

Great work! :clap:

3 Likes

Messaging them is a great idea… they can have their postcards fully stocked :grinning:

Also google is saying 1 hr 30 from me so even better than i thought :star_struck:

3 Likes

It’s everything all right!
So the meeting could be on Saturday or Sunday.
We usually visit a place and afterwards go to a cafe or pub, any place with shelter, tables and food :grin:
Does the castle have a cafe or any place nearby where we could go?
I can help design the postcard and the print part is with you :blush:
About the time some meetings started at 11am others started at 1pm, it depends on how long the visit to the Castle takes + lunch + signing. Depending on the number of users and postcards to sign, it can last 2 hours or more.

If you don’t want to print a postcard another option is for each attendant to bring your own postcard, and you could give away stickers with the meeting information to be added to the postcard. I had done it last year at a meeting in Manchester.
Oh, if you are planning to have a meeting in October, what about a Halloween meetup?

1 Like

Hi @JennyAssis, thank you for your responses. :blush::pray:

What do people want? If it’s a Sunday, I won’t be able to attend due to family commitments, so someone else could take over the arrangements, or we just leave it?

I’ve emailed the Corfe Castle Model Village cafe:

What do the majority want to do about a postcard?:thinking::face_with_monocle:

I wasn’t envisioning on it being a Halloween thing, no, due to it being a busy weekend at the castle and therefore a £1 extra to attend.

Who makes the decisions? I think that’s what I am foggy on really? Never having done this before! :smile:

I am happy to say…

• A Saturday in October, that is not a peak weekend, ie, Halloween.

• Personally speaking, I am loath for this to delay into November/December due to crashing into people’s Christmas preparation period. And weather - October is usually still pretty well-behaved.

• Yes to a meet-up card if someone doesn’t mind doing the designing because I have no idea what I am doing! I don’t know how attached people are to having an ‘official’ meet-up card?

• If nobody wants to take on the meeting card thing (and I wouldn’t blame them), @JennyAssis ‘s idea of…

• Wouldn’t know where to start with this either! (Stickers) :tipping_hand_woman:t3::laughing:

Honestly, for myself, I just would like to meet you peeps and keep it simple. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: But this is not just about me, so wade on in and talk about your preferences folks! :grin::+1::gift_heart:

3 Likes