Manchester meet-up 10th December 2023

:world_map: CITY/REGION: Central Manchester
:round_pushpin: MEETUP PLACE: House of Books and Friends, King Street
:calendar: DATE: Sunday 10th December
:alarm_clock: TIME: 12:00pm
:page_facing_up: MEETUP PLAN: Signing postcards, browsing books, visiting Christmas markets!

Hi folks!

The plan is to meet in House of Books and Friends from 12pm - 2pm. We’ll have a chat, swap and sign postcard/Christmas cards, and afterwards we’ll visit the Christmas markets if there’s interest in doing so! Please arrive for 12pm if possible.

There’s a £5 reservation fee/deposit per head. However, you can then spend that £5 in the café upon arrival. If you plan to attend, please comment and then DM @mattressy to pay your £5 deposit (see below if this might be a problem for you).

Please get in touch before 1st November if possible, but we’ll be as flexible as we can, so please don’t be put off. We want to make it as easy for people to come along as possible :love_letter:

Hosts
@mattressy and @mousewithapen - we’re both longtime Manchester residents, so please get in touch if you have any questions about visiting.

Venue

• HoBaF sells fiction and non-fiction books
  • The café serves hot and cold drinks, sandwiches and cakes
  • They offer dairy milk or oat milk

Accessibility

• The venue is very easy to find and close to local bus and rail services
  • If you’re unwaged/unable to cover the £5 fee please DM me - my co-host and I will do everything we can to ensure you can still attend and take part
  • If you have the funds and wish to donate an extra £1 to ensure everyone can attend, DM me!
  • The entrance has 4 shallow steps. There’s a ramp for wheelchair access. If you are a wheelchair user or have limited mobility, please drop me a DM beforehand and I’ll make sure you can access the venue.
  • There is an accessible toilet
  • If writing/signing a lot of cards may be difficult for you, please let me know
  • If you’re not comfortable to be in any photos, please let me know

What to bring

• You can bring postcards/cards for everyone to sign/stamp (please ensure you have no more than 30 cards in total for stamping so that there’s time to chat and enjoy our food and drink)
  • A rubber stamp or pen to sign with

What we’ll provide

• A £5 voucher for the café (providing you’ve pre-paid to @mattressy, or sent me a DM to arrange an alternative as above)
  • Name/pronoun tags - optional but encouraged!
  • Fingers crossed…we hope to have a meetup card to hand out, I’ll update the post when it’s organised!
  • We also hope to provide dated meetup stickers to put on any non-meetup cards

Where to buy cards

• The nearby Manchester Art Gallery sells art postcards and greetings cards
  • The Manchester Shop in the Northern Quarter (roughly 15 mins walk from HoBaF) sells Manchester-themed postcards
  • The People’s History Museum is also nearby (about 15 mins walk in the other direction)
  • There are several Manchester Convenience Stores around which sell postcards

Attending:
@mattressy
@mousewithapen
@Arikel
@WilliamsUK
@Quiggers
@Star-Mix-1982
@sil4sm
@simmo11
@Maddymail
@rinopucci
@hoiyeeanita

We are now FULL so please let me know if you want to join the waitlist.
And, if you can no longer attend, please let me know ASAP.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

:point_up: Please make sure to read the Meetup Guidelines before signing up for a meetup.

1 Like

I know it’s still August, but I’m looking forward to this already :love_letter:

1 Like

I’d love to come :blush:

1 Like

Count me in too!

1 Like

Hi

Thanks for the further info about the 10 December meetup. Sounds good. How do I transfer the £5/6 to you, please?

Alan (Quiggers)

Hi!

Id love to attend if there is still space!

1 Like

I’d like to come if there’s space, sending a PM

1 Like

Can I come if still space?

1 Like

I would like to attend if possible, please add me to the list :christmas_tree:

1 Like

Welcome! @Star-Mix-1982 @sil4sm @simmo11 @Maddymail

I’ve sent everyone a message about the deposit, which I’ll need to pay in the next couple of days. Again, if this is an issue for you, there’s no judgement, just let me know so that I can ensure you’re covered :slight_smile:

Also I’m really sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone, my co-host and I have been ill recently and unfortunately organising slid to one side, but I’m back on my game now :smiley:

See you all soon!

2 Likes

Hello! i would like to come along :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone, I’d love to attend!

@mattressy DM coming your way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello folks! Looking forward to meeting you all this weekend :slight_smile: please get in touch if you have any questions or if you won’t be able to attend.

@Arikel
@WilliamsUK
@Quiggers
@Star-Mix-1982
@sil4sm
@simmo11
@Maddymail
@rinopucci
@hoiyeeanita

1 Like

hi, i just find out about this meeting, are there is still option to attend?

1 Like

Hey everyone,
It’s nearly time for this meet up, hurray! Both @mattressy and I have been really ill (Torin) and snowed under with… life (me), so we have not been able to prepare for this in the way we originally planned. Although, to be fair, a whole marching band was maybe a bit too much anyway…
So! Please be aware that the UK train strike should be finished on Sunday and trains should be running. Also, it’s Manchester so it’ll be raining and if you want to explore the markets, I would recommend a raincoat, not an umbrella, because it can get quite cosy between stalls.
Any questions, hit us up!

1 Like

Thanks - looking forward to it.

Are there any meetup cards ?

Hi @simmo11
Unfortunately, that is one of the things that fell off the wagon with being ill and snowed under :sob: But maybe we can swing something last minute, so don’t give up hope completely!

Hello All, @mattressy @mousewithapen

It is with regret I won’t be able to attend this weekends meetup, wish you all great meetup, a wonderful Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.

:christmas_tree::santa: All is ask if someone can send me a postcard with all the signatures/handstamps of the attendees.

Hi @Maddymail
Thank you for letting us know.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too :slight_smile:
And yes, we’ll endeavour to send a card your way! DM us your address, please.
Take care :christmas_tree:

2 Likes

Hi hi!

I’m sorry for the last minute reply but we’ve had a cancellation, so if you’d like to come along tomorrow then you’re very welcome :slight_smile:

Torin