Mail to China (2022 temporary suspension)

There’s no need to put the address in both languages on the card.
In whatever country you can only put the Chinese address on the card.
The only information your postal office needs is the country China and then the mail is forwarded to China.

5 Likes

In addition to section “122 Addressing”, there’s also another clause in USPS’ International Mail Manual that addresses the case of “insufficient addressing”, which confirms the observation above.

431 Insufficient Address

If an item is improperly addressed, but the country of destination is legibly written, dispatch it to the exchange office. The exchange office will determine whether the address is sufficient.

2 Likes

I just got my address in China, too - I think I shall practice my (admittedly, almost non-existent - HSK 1 completed only) Chinese :smiley:

I should be able to manage a sentence or two, although my characters will be huge, haven’t yet learned how to write them correctly and small :laughing:

Going to print the address, though - it would just take up too much space if I were to handwrite it.

2 Likes

The statistics in 90 and 120 days will be really interesting to see! I wonder if we will see great regional variation or other variation in the cards received (either China or the sending countries). Very interesting!

2 Likes

It used to be true that USPS required only the country name in English. Several years ago both USPS and the UPU changed the rules. Addresses must be at a minimum in Western alphabet and numbers (ABC, 123) in their entirety. If the destination country uses a different script (Chinese, Russian, Arabic) then that should also be included if it will help facilitate delivery.

2 Likes

As with registration rates, similar statistics were provided in the update as of end of June 2022.

A year has passed, and now we’re able to have the final tallies.

Even though culumative curves like the example above may not be readily available, some simple numbers would still be helpful for us to look back at the suspension and throttling.

• How many were sent to China in April 2022 and how many of those postcards were registered?
  • For the same period, how does the registration rate perform compared with postcards sent to other major destinations, such as Germany, the US, and Russia?

This may allow us to better gauge

• Had the suspension been implemented earlier in April 2022, how many postcards would have been saved from non-registration within one year (hence cost savings, etc.)?

On the other hand, as we heard from field reports from China, the backlog is likely to have low priority for processing even after mail delivery is restored.

Also, I’m still curious to know more about the extra slot trial because I’ve been proposing the same thing for postally unreliable destinations.

Then this begs the questions:

• Do we need another suspension if another massive delay happens?
  • Instead of throttling, are there any viable alternatives that keep a certain level of data flowing in as well as letting people choose not to send to that unreliable destination?

:exploding_head: Let’s just hope she has a good system to differ which card is to which account, or at least now keep only one account active. This is not hinting they couldn’t do it.

Some members have thought, when they come back to active, the addresses will be given normally/slowly, which isn’t true. Some are then annoyed getting tens of cards and finding the registering is a lot of work. To one account. I would talk about persistence, edit. even jokingly, only when they manage to register all the cards too :grin:,

2 Likes

Full legal name?
I only provide my first name. Could this be the reason some of my swaps from US never arrive? :speak_no_evil:

I tend to purchase complete sets of stamp issues. Since the throttling ended, 9 cards out of the 10 I drew are to China! I then realised that a certain denomination of stamps (HK$3.7, the airmail price to China) had been piling up in my collection and I am so relieved that I get to use them now. :tada: It’s true, I could have used the $3.7s for mail to USA/Europe, but in order for me to fill the postage to make the HK$5.4 postage required for those zones, it required using “boring” definitives that took up a lot of the address space.

In short, this is an unexpected and exciting development for me, that I get to use my $3.7s now! Yay!

9 Likes

Why is this flagged? Why do people flag everything nowadays? Some of my posts were deleted recently.
Today’s society is so sensitive :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

5 Likes

I asked, so maybe it comes back.
It is about mail to China, and trying to help a multiprofiler in China will understand they might get hundreds of cards at once, and yes, they will need to register it too. It is fully related to this topic.

1 Like

It is not friendly to imply that Chinese users may not manage to register all the cards they receive.
And likewise, this is not the place to judge whether someone manages to maintain their double account.

The post was not deleted.
You have the option to edit it or delete it yourself if you don’t want to edit it.

7 Likes

What part please implies it, I will edit it. (Edit. I added a sentence, now it maybe it’s more clear.)
It’s my honest hope. No judging. There are my cards travelling to China as well.

Also, I think it is helpful to let everyone know, the card might arrive in huge patches when the differences are huge.

My other post was deleted, while the post that I answered wasn’t.
Very hard when other members can write about a topic here, but replies to that are not ok.

1 Like

Every user who has a big difference of sent/recd knows that he will get many cards.
I don’t think it’s necessary to point this out, especially not with the addition:

Please edit your post to that effect or delete it.

I think we can put an end to this discussion.
I am sure that the Chinese users will be pleased to receive cards again and will be happy to register them.

7 Likes

Maybe someone from China could tell, are there better possibilities to get it/get it sooner when it’s in the envelope? I tried to quickly look, perhaps there is this already talked somewhere?

I mostly try to write it in Chinese, but to my last card I made a mistake, and couldn’t write over the correction pen, so I wrote to a label, in English.

I noticed having the telephone number is now very common, let’s hope this will help too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is not true. Some members didn’t know their address will be given at once/very soon after becoming active.

Well, if glorifying multiple accounts is ok, and if that post can be here in this topic, why not my view to this? Edit. I edited the joke part, if that makes their post ok, mine is with the same theme, which maybe wasn’t that clear.

4 Likes

I drew a bunch of Chinese addresses too yesterday (repeated countries on) and am happy that they can participate in Postcrossing again! :smiley:

The suspension was hard on the Chinese members, but it was made to prevent all our cards getting stuck with Chinese Post and expire. So Chinese members had to be patient and endure being able to send only for a long time. Now it’s our turn to send cards and be patient until they arrive. :relieved:

I understand that it’s not great for members who don’t have many slots when they get a lot of adresses for the same country, with longer travel times. But we have to think of the Chinese members too, who couldn’t recieve a single official card for months!

12 Likes

Hmm… I was replying before, then gave up and now: I have no evidence as it’s not me, and I don’t think it’s friendly to ask her for something proving herself and showing here. I totally understand your worries when so many cards sending to same place. But just a reminder: Chinese users keep registering cards during last 7,5 months, less than before of course, but still do when cards find them, which is same to her. You may get concerned by my previous words that system has stoped her requesting new addresses, that’s because there seems to be a limited number or percentage of the gap between sent and received, as someone mentioned beore. Now you know if she coundn’t register cards properly, she can’t even draw addresses. That’s what was happening here during last 10 months: when some of us gave up expecting to find cards lying in mailbox and turn to focus on sending and dream a mail burst in coming future, then soon found they even couldn’t send more. :astonished: She is doing well both on sending and registering, so is allowed to send more by system till have such a huge gap. Let’s trust it when we can’t trust each other. :wink:
For me, my account is still inactive. I quit 2 years ago for private reason, and started to send cards firstly anyway 2 months ago and got a very small gap now. Of course I know if I turn to active many cards will fly to me, but I decided to keep inactive for a while as others have waited too long.

1 Like

Didn’t their domestic mail work during all this still? I remember someone saying it worked well, so if they chose to send within China, they got cards too, so it wasn’t total “no mail” if the mail from China was ok to them?

But yes, I have kept repeated for very long, sometimes it was a lot of Russia, sometimes Germany, sometimes USA. Sometimes in history it has been Finland.

I think the long travel times is perhaps not even the main worry, but the memory of having cards not arrive. Even though they know and understand this seems better now. So let’s hope for new better experiences and memories. (For example one of my cards to Belarus got lost, so for very long, I always had that in my head, when writing there. And to think this would be many many cards…it’s understandable to be worried, maybe even not want to send (when it’s good to have a pause).

So, now, understanding both and all possible ways :smile:

4 Likes

Definitely I’m not asking anyone to showing themselves here (unless they want to).
I’m not worried sending cards to same place, I do it most of the time.

Yes, Chinese users kept registering cards, but like you wrote, less.

What is my concern: when they now get the cards, it will be more. For some much more.
That alone is a lot of work to register. And not to mention if these are to different accounts, so it will make it slower/harder.

Some members have thought, the addresses will be given few at time, but it’s not like that.
Sometimes when members come back to active, they keep themselves active for only minute or two, and then are inactive again → so they only get the amount of mail they can handle.

As this is now probably off topic, I try to find to inactive - active -thread later, I think it could be very helpful to Chinese members, who have been inactive and now are back to active, and have no experience in how it works.

So I think my main worry is, members get hundreds of card, and they notice it’s too much work, especially if it’s for multiple accounts, and then stop. (This has nothing to do about the nationality, this would worry me in same amount, if this happened in Finland, but I write in this thread because it’s now China where it happened. And because I know some members have thought, if they sent 300 when inactive for 6 months, they will these during 6 moths, but no, they can get most of these in a week. )

Edit.
in this topic is discussion about coming back to active after being inactive mode:

and here:

(this is actually talked about several topics)

Of course I don’t know how much you talk about this in Chinese community, but I hope you do, and ask help if it turns overwhelming.

2 Likes