:postcard: Mail Suspension Alerts

I contacted An Post (Ireland) today who told me that it is possible to send post from Ireland to the overseas regions of France.

That’s useful information! :+1: Did they by chance mention which ones though? A quick look rendered some confusing results. Some of the overseas territories are indeed serviced by France’s La Poste which explains what An Post says, but some of the French overseas territories seem to have their own Postal Operator, so it’s not clear if those can be reached too (through France). If they didn’t mention, could you ask?

@Violet2022 Maybe you could you help here? I imagine those destinations are considered domestic to La Poste so they are likely listed somewhere?

An Post are asking me for the specific territories, collectivities, etc that use a separate postal service to La Poste. Is there a list?

I don’t have an exhaustive list as I’m not that familiar with France’s geography, but a quick look gave me New Caledonia (which has OPT) and Wallis and Futuna. There may be more, but please note that I may be wrong and these may actually be served by La Poste! Hopefully someone from France can chime in on this better than I possibly can.

1 Like

I just had a look and found this list on the website of La Poste:

When it comes to the French Overseas Territories it seems that La Poste operates in the 5 French Overseas Departments / Regions (Guadeloupe, Guyane, Martinique, Mayotte, La RĂ©union) and the Overseas Collectivity of Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon.
Guadeloupe includes the Overseas Collectivities of St. Barthélémy and St. Martin.

The sui generis Territory of New Caledonia, the Overseas Collectivities of French Polynesia and Wallis-et-Futuna and the TAAF (French Southern and Antarctic Lands) seem to have their own postal operator.
The one in New Caledonia is called OPT-NC, the one in French Polynesia OPT and the one in Wallis-et-Futuna SPT.

Explanatory note: the French Overseas Territories consist of 5 overseas departments / regions and 8 collectivities / territories (including uninhabited territories), with varying legal status and levels of autonomy.

I hope this info is useful. In any case, I’d recommend to do some double checks via other sources as well (as I am not a French citizen).
Perhaps Rayloo and Honzuki can provide additional details for Guyane (French Guiana) and French Polynesia respectively.

3 Likes

That’s excellent @Violet2022 ! Thank you for taking the time to look into this and that page does seem helpful to confirm this. This does need some proper good look into as it quickly gets confusing between overseas departments, regions, sui generis territories and collectivities. :sweat_smile:

@lucky2002 With this, I would venture to say that An Post can reach (through France):

• Guadeloupe
  • Guyana
  • Martinique
  • Mayotte
  • La RĂ©union
  • Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon
  • St. BarthĂ©lĂ©my
  • St. Martin

but it might not work for:

• New Caledonia
  • French Polynesia
  • Wallis-et-Futuna
  • French Southern and Antarctic Lands

Could you run these lists through An Post and let us know if they agree?

2 Likes

The united states can send to Brunei now.

Hi, @cairobinz
That is the “disruption information for that location or event,” meaning what Brunei Post had announced (=what was going on at the Brunei side).

To see the suspension (on the US side) click “View the suspensions” on the top of the page.

We monitor First-Class Mail InternationalÂź (FCMI) which affects letters and postcards (currently the following 20 countries except Australia, China, and New Zealand = 17 suspended destinations including Brunei).

Fare Rata’s logo mentions “Fare Rata - La Poste”, so yes, there is a partnership between both services (not sure which kind though). Since they share the same postal code system, when sending to French Polynesia from mainland France you don’t even need to write “PolynĂ©sie Française”.
A bit off-topic, but a Postcrossing friend whose country didn’t send to mine because of the pandemic came up with the idea of writing “French Polynesia” instead of “France”, and it worked ! Since then all my PX pals whose countries aren’t sending to mine have been sending mail to me this way. It doesn’t work with Japan Post though, which doesn’t really matter as I’ve been receiving safely from there by seamail.

1 Like

Postal Monitor has been updated for
Belarus, Estonia, Fiji, Slovakia, Turkey, Uruguay.

Indeed, there is some connection there. But still unclear whether all mail can be routed through France. The information from UPU seems a bit outdated (last updated in 2011) so it doesn’t help clarify.

I’ve noticed that Thailand explicitly says that mail to France doesn’t mean it can reach its territories/departments/etc, so it might depend on postal agreements between each postal operator and La Poste.

I sent them the list of territories you mentioned and they have said that they can send to all of them except Mayotte and the French Southern and Atlantic Lands.

1 Like

Well, that seems to be a clear answer, although it just throws out our best guess — can’t really follow the logic, but they should know best.

We will unblock those destinations from Ireland soon and we’ll try to keep them unblocked (as long mail to France works), although it would be best and much easier if they could just add them to their list. Maybe something you can nudge them about? :sweat_smile:

Anyhow, thank for your help with this! :+1:

I’ll ask them to add it to their list and hope for the best. I remember I informed them that they incorrectly still had it marked that post was going to Russia and they didn’t change it for a few weeks. I’ll also ask them about the overseas territories of other countries soon.

1 Like

I noticed that for the update to Ireland’s mail suspension, French Guiana was not removed from the list. An Post did say that they were posting to all territories except Mayotte/Southern and Antarctic Lands, so post to French Guiana would be included in that.

1 Like

That was what I wanted to verify with you and Violet2022; Guyana or French Guiana.
Guyana being a former British colony, I thought it was likely French Guiana, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the clarification, I removed French Guiana from the Ireland’s list.

1 Like

Yes, the experiments we made did teach me that it is a case-by-case thing.

At the end of my own post I mentioned:
“Guyane (= French Guiana)” in order to avoid any misunderstandings.
‘Guyane’ is the French term to indicate ‘FRENCH GUIANA’ (one of the overseas French departments).

This should not be confused with ‘GUYANA’, which is a different country in South America indeed (a former British colony, previously known as ‘British Guiana’).

2 Likes

Pos Malaysia is temporarily suspending international outbound services to China beginning 25 May 2022.

2 Likes

GOOD NEWS!
Korea Post will resume sending air mail to following countries from 30th May:
Myanmar, Laos, Egypt, Jordan, Cyprus, Portugal, Maldives, Bulgaria, Georgia, Iran, Tunisia, Romania, Ghana and South Africa.

Source: ê”­ì œíŠč꞉-êł”ì§€ì‚Źí•­

3 Likes