Long wishlists on profiles - what is your opinion?

I hope my following comment does not come off the wrong way:

I feel as though the demanding profiles have become less and less as I’ve spent time here on PC. And I don’t think it’s necessarily because people are becoming more conscience of their profile text. Rather, I feel as though there is possibly a bit of a correlation between people who are just here to collect and not connect and those who rapidly send out cards for the sake of opening up slots to be able to receive (collect) cards.
Of course, the majority of the people to whom I’ve sent cards, regardless of their sent amount, have been friendly!
But if that theory is true and some collectors who do not care about connecting are just sending out cards as quickly as possible for the sake of being able to collect quicker, it would make sense that the possibility of receiving one of their addresses is higher.

Again, just a theory, and does not represent the majority of the people I have interacted with here. But it’s just a feeling that I thought I would share.

3 Likes

i am trying to be nice and actually dun mind a long list so i might have something to send. that being said like someone has said just the tone of it? like “hey these are this things i am interested in” not “please dun send me anything that is not in the list”

1 Like

I have an extremely long list of stuff I’m interested in on my profile, and I hope it includes something that everyone one likes. I also think I clearly state whatever you send me will make happy, it’s the thought that counts. Here are just some idea’s if you’re not sure.

I quite often get very thoughtful messages sent back or extremely interesting postcards! The level of effort I put into what I send you registration message wise and postcard is directly proportional to the amount of effort you put in your profile. Even if we have nothing in common, I’m here for connections, the collection is a nice bonus.

4 Likes

Agreed. Some people have no idea what to send. Other people will totally ignore the list, but I think it s good to have a list like that, I begin my profile letting people know the positive things first: I WILL scan their card if they don’t have a scanner, thus no dark photo needed… I will always register the day I receive. And I let people know that there are suggestions, like every month has some international days that may give a tip to send a card. Then there are people in some countries who don’t have the luxury as we i nthe Netherlands where we have shops with 1000s of postcards (!), At the end, I mention that there are cards that really offend me: Keep Calm, and Halloween/drugs. Someone responded to that and when I explained she fully understood. FINALLY: I always have about 300 cards available to send, and then it is nice that on the wishlist of someone I can find out if one or more of my cards fit something on the list.

3 Likes

I came across a great way of stating preference on someone’s profile today:

“Somewhere along the line of this project I found that there is one type of card I really DO NOT LIKE: xxxxxxxxxxxxx. If you could do me the favour of picking another card I would be very grateful.”

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Lovers of Lighthouse, Leuchtturm, 灯, faro, 灯台

You can make a long wishlist it’s okay but the person who looks the profile may not be interested in reading long wishlist, if I want to send 5 cards in a day iam not interested to read the long list ,I may already select 5 cards most appropriate to each profile I send . If wishlist is small interesting to select card, long list most don’t bother to read…

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Postcard to member with empty or very short profile?

I like the lists that people provide on their profiles! I have a large variety of postcards in my stash and having a list of cards that people like helps me pick the card that matches

7 Likes

(Eyes recycling bin and opens eBay account)

1 Like

Like the majority already commented here, I DO prefer a long wish-list to read :slight_smile: and no, I am not bored to read it, as I have a long list myself. It is not a demand, of course, but just some random things I like, my hobbies, and topics I would be glad to see on cards I receive:) Though lately after returning back to postcrossing,I draw several addresses and profiles were almost empty. At least, a few words about a personality is nice to see! For example, I love cooking or riding a bike or traveling. Then, for sure I will send one of these topics. For me it just works better :wink:
As for huge NO-lists, somehow I never saw one. Personally,I have a small no-list, like no insects for example, as I do not like them.
But after all, Postcrossing is about connection, picking up a card you would like to get yourself and putting a smile on someone else’s face :smile:

6 Likes

I like reading long wishlists and I also have a long wishlist myself. I do have particular series and themes that I collect, but I can appreciate cards with images I don’t necessarily like as long as the sender put some effort into writing on it. In my experience, half the people who send me cards write only one or two sentences. Or a quote. And I don’t feel like I’ve connected with them at all. So the reason why I have a wishlist is the thought that “if nobody wants to write me anything, I could at least get a card for my collection”.
But like I said, I am happy to receive cards I don’t collect as long as they’re well-written. I don’t collect view cards but I recently received a huge one with an answer to one of the prompts listed on my profile. I appreciate that card more than all the Tausendschöns and Loupapers I’ve received with only “Happy Postcrossing” on them

7 Likes

I have three shoeboxes full of postcards. I’m always amazed that, especially with “endless” wish lists, there isn’t a suitable card :slightly_smiling_face:
Apparently I’ve only bought shelf warmers :joy:

5 Likes

I have the same problem but in my case the explanation is that I mostly have touristic postcards (with real photos, not illustrations) and I see more and more profiles who do not want them.

2 Likes

I sometimes think it is because there are a lot of other ways to get specific cards nowadays. People find the PC-forum, but also Facebook and such. Or you can simply buy them online. :grin:

I agree with OP on the long list. I provide many options on the off chance that you have one of these cards. More is better in my opinion.

On the contrary, I find it difficult when people have very specific wishes and short lists.
I came across a profile recently that specifically requested that US members should NOT use the international round stamp when sending to her because she didn’t like them. I found that off putting especially since that’s what I use for the majority of international postcards. I like to leave more room for sticker and words, and the 1 stamp gets the job done. Sometimes users request multiple stamps, special stamps etc and I’ll use them if I have them. Otherwise I go for the international single stamp and that’s just what they’ll get :face_holding_back_tears:

17 Likes

Yes, I have run across some very long and very picky wish lists, most of the time I don’t have any postcards that match their want list, I try to pick one that I believe that they will like. The worst is when they ask for touristy postcards. Where I live, they do not sell postcards, mostly because people do not write postcards anymore so it is very, very rare to find a place that actually sells postcards!

4 Likes

I have many touristy cards, but tire of sending too many in a row.

3 Likes

Of course you know what you are talking about …

… but I’ve received several cards from the US-PNW and OR showing city- or nature-landscape, so ‘touristy’ is out there. I would assume such cards are somewhere around the major attractions of Portland or in state and national parks.
Sometimes, second-hand / thrift shops can be a valuable and cheap source, so are city marketing or tourist offices. If you really feel the need (exagg. :wink: ) you also could ask other users from your region.

Again, I know you have more info about your hometown/-region than me. Maybe read it as inspiration.

Also, again: nobody is obliged to fulfill any wish. Any postcard at hand is fine in postcrossing.

5 Likes

I love wishlists actually. I always read the whole part that people tell in their profile. This way i can pick out the best card to send, which is fun to do. I really like reading a profile… searching for a matching card and i also add matching stickers and washitape etc… as best as i can :slight_smile: .

For myself i said i prefered something that represents the country that person is from. But i also have a lot of passions and things i like, so i’ve listed those down in categories, to make it easier for people.
I don’t have a No list… i only say… please no spiders. But besides those… i would love to receive any card… also homemade, in envelopes, larger cards etc.

7 Likes