Long wishlists on profiles - what is your opinion?

I think the people who ask for touristy postcards perhaps just want to see/know about your area, at least that’s the case for me. Even if there are no official tourist cards where you are, an idea I’ve had is that you can send cards that are related to something in your area, and perhaps buy online. An example of what I mean is, there’s a famous old oak tree not far from where I live. I may find a postcard of an oak tree (not necessarily the one I’m talking about), but tell the recipent about my local tree on the back. This could apply to anything you see that reminds you of something where you live. I’m not sure if everyone would feel the same as I do, but I’d love to find out about an area this way. If people want to add their thoughts on this, please let me know if I can split it into a new thread somehow

8 Likes

I really appreciate this insight! I really hate when I pull a profile that says the only thing they want is tourist cards. I always feel that if you say “the only thing I want is X cards. Please only send me X cards (and they should have the name on the front)” about literally anything else it will be considered unreasonable, but somehow people think it’s okay for them to make this demand if it’s tourist cards. So it’s frustrating and disappointing (because I know I can’t make this person happy) to pull these addresses, and recently I pulled several in a row! But in future I will try to think back to your comment. The approach you suggest is pretty much what I do anyway, but maybe I’ll feel a little better about it in future!

2 Likes

I also stock up when I go to the coast - the grocery stores there still have cheap postcards and tons of views :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I prefer long wish list any day over long “don’t like this or don’t do this” list.

5 Likes

Recently I came across an address that had a very short description: "I ONLY need postcards… " and a list of five topics. Well, to my surprise, I had the right card. But I wasn’t happy to decorate and sign it.

2 Likes

In general, I think it’s not about the number of points but more about the essence of the request. If “Giraffe” is in the list, that’s fine; I’ll even try to find and buy it if I don’t have it. But if it’s a giraffe from a specific series, a particular publisher, a certain year of release, where only 50 giraffes were issued, and then a link to the ones available because heaven forbid duplicates, then no need. And the stamps should also meet specific criteria. That’s when I’ll send the postcard that I don’t like out of all of them.

8 Likes

I like long wishlists because a lot of times, they’re easier to find a card which matches.

2 Likes

I’m a pleaser, I admit it. That’s why I like long wishlists. My heart skips a beat when I think I have found the pefect postcard. I also love to scroll through the favourites’ wall on my quest for a fitting card. What I don’t like is a profile with nothing else but a wishlist. I love to read something else too. The tone in which a wishlist is set, makes a huge difference in my opinion. I have a wishlist too and hope it is not too demanding.

12 Likes

Incredible:) I hope you will get to me officially, I have an illustrated choir! :face_with_peeking_eye::smiley:

1 Like

Oh my goodness! I’m going to fill all my slots this week :smile: . And then I will keep my fingers crossed :crazy_face:

I used to have one on your favourites’ wall. I can’t look now, but I may still have an extra. And your profile is wonderfully written.

Thank you :slight_smile: You can write me your address in private messages and I will just send you these postcards :slight_smile:

Personally I prefer long descriptions to long wishlists. Yes, whishlist are easy to write and read and with a wishlist maybe is easyer to find something that will please the receiver; however I think is much more beautiful to try and imagine what is the perfect card for a person reading something about them, their life, their work or hobbies.

I’ll make an exemple:

on a profile I might find a wishlist that says:
I like postcards with
- dogs
- landscape and nature
- ispirational quotes

And on another profile I may find something like that:
When I have some freetime I love to go out with my two wonderful dogs Luna and Marvin for long walks in nature. I like to walk in silence and to listen to the sound of the woods just feeling connected with the earth and myself.

Maybe I would end choosing the same card for both the profiles but with the second one I feel more like I’m choosing a postcard for someone I know and I care about and I will feel the connection between us while I choose, write, decorate and send the postcard.

9 Likes

I love a long profile with lots of info and wishes. I love picking the perfect card. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I think when people ask for touristy cards they just would like something real from that country - it doesn’t have to be local . I’ve had lots of gorgeous Australian cards. Waiting 2 months for a card from accross the world that could have been printed in China & distributed worldwide with no meaning is not so meaningful. But there is a rule of any card so :person_shrugging:. Some cards I receive have interesting comments/stamps and postmarks more than the front image.

1 Like

I had a two-liner ‘send whatever you want’ today and a three-liner ‘this is me’ followed by a (really) long list of different suggestions. I did like the later a lot more, it was fun to choose a card - that why I have many in stock at first place

Good day everyone.
There are 2 things I enjoy most about postcrossing: first, reading messages from senders, and second, choosing, decorating and writing postcards for recipients. So yes, I love wish lists! I love that moment when I look through my blank cards looking for the perfect match. If I don’t have anything on their wish list, I don’t stress. I am sending a tourist card. And if I see a hostile tone somewhere YOU CAN’T / YOU MUST, I send a tourist card again. It’s simple :slightly_smiling_face:
In short, I won’t let this nice hobby be spoiled by a handful of people who didn’t understand the principle of postcrossing. So yes, I really like wish lists.

8 Likes