Lockdown and lack of postcards

Due to lockdown and the shops which sell postcards not being open, I am finding I am lacking postcards to send out at present time. Keeping fingers crossed that the shops will reopen again next month, but it is frustrating not to have cards to send. Guess others are finding the same problem?

5 Likes

I found some nice postcards on a second hand website. :slight_smile: Not many shops sell postcard here but I got some from the tourist office

1 Like

Here all the stores who sell postcards were closed between November and January, so I had to order my postcards online.

2 Likes

I usually didn’t shop much in stores for postcards since it’s harder to find postcards in my area…unless I travel to the biggie, San Francisco. Therefore, I buy my postcards from online stores, there are tons of stores. In fact, for UK, there are some really good online shops.

1 Like

Yes. I am in the same situation. I saw on a profile this message of it being hard to find cards with stores closed. So I put the same message on my profile. I can buy cards online but not the regular tourist type cards of my state. I’m just hoping people understand.
And I’m glad to hear at least other postcrossers are having the same problem

1 Like

I think a lot of people buy online. It’s not as fun as regular shops, but it can be a solution :slight_smile:

We only had one lockdown but we had closed borders for a year now, I mean in the last few months people can come in but there have been no tourists, and it is only one city so local tourism can’t go very far like in bigger countries. As a result, last time I went to look for view cards of the city I really struggled! :scream: (at least I think that’s why they were so hard to find this time, no tourists…)

I have had the same issue. Stores recently started opening again but the store I bought all my local cards from closed down. Finally found some cards a week ago.

1 Like

There are a number of online places that sell postcards and post accessories (e.g., stickers, etc.) such as Stationery Heaven, Postal Happy, Postallove, personal stores on such sites as Etsy or Zazzle, just to mention a few.

Lots of online choices John - here’s the wiki Ana set up - lists by country, although many online shops sell to most places in the world.

1 Like

I get most of my postcards from Canada Post, Postal Happy, and Chapters. Luckily all of these sources have online stores so I can still shop even when physical stores are closed. Phidon Pens (a small local business near me) also has a small selection of postcards and they’ve started up a web shop over the last year. It might be worth checking some of the regular places you get postcards to see if any of them have created online shops during the pandemic.

There are also places like Postallove and Stationery Heaven (as mentioned by HookedonPostcards) as well as Postcards Market and Crave Paper. I haven’t ordered from any of them yet, but I may do in the future.

Hopefully you’ll be able to find an online shopping option that works for you. If not, I’m sure people will understand if you have to get creative with homemade or improvised postcards for a little while.

I’m lucky that my city is huge on tourism and am able to find postcards almost anywhere. Amazon has been a big help as well!

Totes- I added a line to my profile saying basically send whatever. Don’t need to add to the covid stress!

3 Likes

Stampraider, you are a thoughtful postcrosser. I tried to write my profile to let people know I really like any card. Hope that comes across.

3 Likes

I live in a rather touristic town and usually it shouldn’t be very difficult to get tourist postcards here. The two shops that sell them are even open. But it seems like they haven’t ordered any new cards over the last year. Not much is left and what is left often doesn’t look good anymore.
In fact, we do have many tourists recently, but they only stay the day, as hotels are closed and they all come from our region so obviously they do not buy any postcards.
I got some of the remainders they had, but ordered non-touristic cards online. Although it feels strange to order something simple like postcards. Luckily our tourist office made a campaign last year and therefore made free postcards that are quite good. There were several motives and I’ve got a couple of copies of three of them and really like to use those.

1 Like

I have same problem! I have not more cards :sob: in Internet I don’t like to take because I need to touch it before, to be sure of quality…

2 Likes

The Post Offices…

This.

In case they don’t have a webshop, if your country allows click&collect or something like it, consider getting in touch with them through e-mail or call them. They might be able to help you, and you are helping them. :heart:

2 Likes

In Germany, post offices usually don’t sell postcards. :frowning: I really wish it was like in Latvia!

I’m having the same problem. I did order some from Etsy and some were nice, but some weren’t very good quality - printed on thin shiny card. Normally I have a reasonable selection of London view cards but have none at the moment. The other thing is, that even when shops have been open, I haven’t been going into central London very often as I’ve been working from home for a year now, so haven’t been anywhere near the tourist spots. Our shops are supposed to be opening again on April 12 so am holding out until then to get some new cards (among other things…).

i love both. i buy 90% of my cards online because there aren’t really card shops nearby. with online shopping you have twice the fun, first with filling your basket and then when the cards arrive. most of the webshops i order from pack the cards like it’s a present and i don’t always remember what i ordered so it’s a surprise again.

they sell tourist cards at my local supermarket so i can still buy those, but according to some profiles they aren’t good either. i recently had a profile that asked for tourists cards but no multiview (they only sell multiview here) and no typical things like beaches and animals. but i live near the beach and almost all cards have birds and seals.

1 Like