Keeping getting the same countries (sending and receiving)

The Postal Monitor doesn’t seem to have any restriction between Italy and Russia. If mail is suspended and you have information from the Italian postal service, you could report it on the mails suspensions thread:

That way Postcrossing will know to block the route and you won’t receive Russian addresses

4 Likes

The information we have is that letter post items (eg: postcards) from Italy to Russia is still working, although likely with delays.

The full list of working countries for Poste Italiane is in this file (2nd page) and there’s an additional page specifically about Russia/Ukraine/Belarus: in it it says that while some services to Russia are suspended, that doesn’t seem to be the case with regular mail (eg: not express) through which postcards travel.

I have seen from other Italian postcrossers that cards sent from Italy to Russia have arrived, perhaps slowly but they have.

I can confirm that all my postcards sent to Russia have arrived, and vice versa, although they say mail from Slovenia is not delivered there.
Also, one of my cards arrived to India for the first time in ages after 109 days traveling :partying_face:

4 Likes

Hi, I’m a newer user of postcrossing, and I want to share a doubt. Nowadays, I receive so many postcards from Germany. I’ve received 71 postcards in total and 17 of it are from Germany. It is normal? It’s possible to avoid receiving postcards from a specific country?

Thank you so much! Best wishes!

Hi! To answer your questions :

• It is normal because Germany is a country where most of active postcrossers are from (active sending)
  • And no, it’s impossible to avoid receiving from certain countries

You may check this thread too

4 Likes

I think you’ll find all the answers here in the previous answers of this post but just wanted to say that the forum here is the best place if you want to “pick” your countries. You may partecipate on tags, RRs, etc and there you may choose where to send or to receive from. Good luck :smiling_face::heartpulse:

4 Likes

I second this very good advice! Also as your card collection grows you will find a larger selection of countries.

Also Germany is a beautiful country and one to enjoy on postcards.

11 Likes

There are many active users from Germany. I remember when Poland was very active but then stamp prices have gotten cosmically high :wink:. When you have the choice of buying dinner or sending one postcard, the vast majority will say that they prefer to eat over enjoying a hobby. 17/71 aren’t that much. I don’t mind receiving postcards from Germany or other “popular” countries :blush:. Every member is different. View it as an opportunity to learn about different regions and cultures within the same country. Such a request might seem inappropriate. I mean… Do you have anything against Germany? Because someone might think it was like that.

You may be interested in joining round robins or tag games. That’s a good advice.

9 Likes

See the 2nd chart.

2 Likes

beautifully said :blush:

1 Like

Totally normal - most people receive about 20% of their cards from Germany. It is the most active country. 21.8% of my received are from Germany, according to my stats page (you can see everybody’s stats on their profile) - 102 out of 457.

As others said, it’s not possible to pick countries - that’s the whole point of Postcrossing, the surprise! (okay less surprising when you know that one every 4-5 cards is from Germany, but still ;)). But if you want to choose or vary, then yes just make arrangements with people on the forum :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just a little follow up on that rant I made a couple of months ago. Some of the repeated countries expired, but one was registered a few days after it expired, and the person that got it was so happy and it was such a joyful Hurray message that it made me happy.

Postcrossing can override my settings any time it wants and I will make more people happy.

5 Likes

When I was in Mexico for a 2 week holiday…I was getting assigned countries that I’ve never sent postcards to before

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your answer! :wink: :wink:

No, it’s only curiosity and because I think that in this way the experience lose part of surprise, because I know that one every 3-4 cards it’ll be from Germany.

Thanks for your answer, anyway! :wink: :wink:

Yes. I totally understand that :blush:. What I mean by this is that someone might interpret it differently. Plus, it’s not a completely imaginary problem. Fellow postcrosser from Poland once admitted that he does not send cards to China (if I remember correctly), because they always take very long time to arrive and about a year later he got a message from the support team that unfortunately they have grounds to suspect him of intolerance towards certain nationalities. I was surprised that it was monitored so closely but he was in fact to blame for himself :wink:.

I also noticed that when requesting addresses during the night (around 2-3 AM Paris timezone), I receive non-European countries more often.

4 Likes

:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

I am a night owl, you know :blush:. I think that then members from, for example, the USA register their postcards and their address goes to the pool. Or it’s pure coincidence.

The theory (myth) of different countries at different times is discussed from time to time, I think to no real resp. only anecdotal proof.

I am open for the idea, but I see a weakness: users in Asian countries or the Americas register mostly European (DE) cards too, so it’s European (DE) adresses that go into the pool. So unless you think that CN-CN, TW-TW, US-US is a widespread phenomenon, I fear the time when one requests adresses does not play any (big) role …

4 Likes