Keeping getting the same countries (sending and receiving)

Im ok with sending postcards to same country. Its just another postcrosser really anyway! Everybody needs happy stuff in their mailbox!

19 Likes

Hello everyone!

Does anyone else seem to always be assigned the same country when requesting an address?

I have sent 53 postcards and have only been assigned addresses to two other countries other than my own. I am aware the addresses are assigned randomly, however, the fact that 33/53 have gone to the same country is kinda shocking to me. It’s kind of funny, actually. I am wondering if anyone else has this happen to them also?

Recently I introduced someone to postcrossing they have been given a nice variety of partners around the world. So I am not sure what’s going on when I request an address. Thought I’d check here and see what you all have to say.

I’ll note the postcards I receive are from all over. No problems there. I’d just like to see how I can add variety to where I send.

1 Like

@RoBeastRo
it seems that this is the solution to your problem:

6 Likes

Yep, it appears I had that box checked. :man_facepalming:
Thank you so much!

1 Like

I keep on getting the same countries in my letterbox. Maybe a Postal Monitor thing. I would like to receive less from Germany for a while.

2022: 118 cards, 33% Germany. That is one of every three cards comes from Germany.
109 cards, almost 33% Russia+USA.

That is realy a lot in numbers and percentage from the top3!

Make sure you don’t have repeated countries checked. Other than that, there isn’t anything Postcrossing can do about where you get cards from, because so much is disrupted in what countries are sending and accepting mail from each other.

@jaenelle it’s for receiving. Given the facts it’s just what it is.

1 Like

If about a third of users are from Germany, this makes sense.

3 Likes

Ukraine was a major participant. Those people currently unable to join in is bound to squiff things for a while.
I’ve said before writing to and receiving from Germany is fast reliable and varied as its a huge country of interesting people.
I look through collections of people with thousands of cards & those cards represent such a small part of the UK.
US has 50 states mostly bigger than the UK - so many fascinating people to connect with … go explore the world

10 Likes

And while I understand the excitement of getting a card from a country you haven’t before or even a more rare one, if it’s really all about connecting and not collecting, then as others have pointed out, even people from the same country are different, with different culture, religion, background, and will still be interesting to meet and learn about.

10 Likes

I have many cards to Russia on the way. They take a long time. So I just have to be patient. Also many addresses in Germany and America. That’s totally fine. Big countries with many different interesting people😊

3 Likes

I’m from Italy and I’m still receiving adresses to Russian Federation. I have no problem with Russian people or any people from any other countries, but unfortunately, due to this war, I can’t send mail to Russia (which is on postcrossingongoing mail suspensions)…

3 Likes

The Postal Monitor doesn’t seem to have any restriction between Italy and Russia. If mail is suspended and you have information from the Italian postal service, you could report it on the mails suspensions thread:

That way Postcrossing will know to block the route and you won’t receive Russian addresses

4 Likes

The information we have is that letter post items (eg: postcards) from Italy to Russia is still working, although likely with delays.

The full list of working countries for Poste Italiane is in this file (2nd page) and there’s an additional page specifically about Russia/Ukraine/Belarus: in it it says that while some services to Russia are suspended, that doesn’t seem to be the case with regular mail (eg: not express) through which postcards travel.

I have seen from other Italian postcrossers that cards sent from Italy to Russia have arrived, perhaps slowly but they have.

I can confirm that all my postcards sent to Russia have arrived, and vice versa, although they say mail from Slovenia is not delivered there.
Also, one of my cards arrived to India for the first time in ages after 109 days traveling :partying_face:

4 Likes

Hi, I’m a newer user of postcrossing, and I want to share a doubt. Nowadays, I receive so many postcards from Germany. I’ve received 71 postcards in total and 17 of it are from Germany. It is normal? It’s possible to avoid receiving postcards from a specific country?

Thank you so much! Best wishes!

Hi! To answer your questions :

• It is normal because Germany is a country where most of active postcrossers are from (active sending)
  • And no, it’s impossible to avoid receiving from certain countries

You may check this thread too

4 Likes

I think you’ll find all the answers here in the previous answers of this post but just wanted to say that the forum here is the best place if you want to “pick” your countries. You may partecipate on tags, RRs, etc and there you may choose where to send or to receive from. Good luck :smiling_face::heartpulse:

4 Likes

I second this very good advice! Also as your card collection grows you will find a larger selection of countries.

Also Germany is a beautiful country and one to enjoy on postcards.

11 Likes