Inactive new member?

When I was a new user I sent out my first five cards and then only came back when I received my first card. As far as I remember I only then filled out my profile page as I first wanted to see if it really works before I tell something about me.

So I would’ve been one of those who sent, registered nothing and got inactive. Empty profile.

When I get a totally new user with empty profile I always choose a very beautiful card in the hope to encourage them to go on with that wonderful postcard journey :hugs:

10 Likes

Well like i said i don’t talk about users like you…all the users i mean simply don’t use it (one of the accounts i mentioned is deleted by now and one never registered any cards (seen 4 months ago). I think we cannot put people who take some time to register or visit the community on the same place like people who just realised it’s not their thing. :blush:
Anyway i made this thread months ago :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My previous answer was a general answer, not only referring to you :wink:

In the end of the day we don’t know who left for the “this is not my cup of tea” thing or simply because something happened. So in my opinion we cannot put anyone anywhere as long we don’t know for sure what the case is.

1 Like

Thank you for this, my card is currently travelling 30+ days now towards a new member from China and they haven’t logged in for a month, do I start worrying? I’ll just wait longer since you said it takes long.

I would not worry. They sent their cards, and will not log on again until they receive ones. Things seem normal (ok) to me.

2 Likes

This reminds me of when I was still a newbie at postcrossing. I sent out a batch of five postcards all at once, which was the maximum limit. After three months, only three of them got received. Then, I registered a classic postcard from Spain, but it was blank and came in an envelope. That’s when I realized I hadn’t filled in my personal information, so that bro from Spain was uncertain and chose a cautious route. I guess maybe these newcomers aren’t aware that postcard exchanges work both ways, just like I initially thought there’d be a button to allow others to send me postcards or something. :thinking:

Also, I’m not sure about other countries, but in China, sending and receiving postcards can be quite slow. It takes almost three months for a postcard to reach Europe, a postcard I sent to Russia was registered after being overdue for six months. During this time, I mostly kept checking whether my own postcards had been received. Additionally, due to language barriers, they might not browse other sections of Postcrossing very often, I suppose. :melting_face:

4 Likes

Mm, I also remember when I was quite new, it took a very long time for anything to be sent/recieved. I joined in March and wasn’t pulled seemingly until June, so that really slowed down how active I was. But I still have all of my cards and I’m grateful that they got to me :slight_smile: It was mid-COVID so the mail was soo slow…

It took me until my second try at Postcrossing to realise there was really a forum. I wish I knew back then because I might have stuck with it more!

1 Like

I have mentioned this before,

I must be an oddity, I never maxed out my Five Postcard Slots when I first joined, I wasn’t sure how the system worked so only drew one postcard, which was to Germany and fortunately arrived within a week, it was a generic London Tourist postcard which was well received.

I remember thoroughly reading through the FAQ’s and reading about how the system worked, as initially I was concerned about privacy.

A week later my first postcard from Greece arrived about five weeks after I joined, then I drew my next postcard as a 1 in 1 out basis, ofcourse I actually earned more postcard as I learned that your address goes out multiple times when a postcard is registered.

And for me if it wasn’t for the Pandemic and finding the New Forum, I probably would have lost interest and not hung around this long.

For me, I think some of those who Max Out their initial five, get inpatient or don’t read how the system works and then loose interest, the amount of newbies who find the forum and then complain they cannot send anymore cards cause after 7-14 days their first five haven’t been received or it’s been a three weeks and have no cards back.:person_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes