I must share my joy at this treasure trove

My city has a lot of tourist postcards, but not many cards on other subjects. In the name of affordable variety, from time to time I go on the hunt and search the local charity and secondhand shops for undiscovered treasures.

And today I got lucky!! :two_hearts:

• Fifteen single cards from a women’s non-profit shop on all sorts of topics, including five “illustrated map of Canada” cards (popular with many recipients).
  • A sealed bag of 18 beautiful art cards from Europe.
  • Another sealed bag containing 102 (!!!) unused vintage-but-not-the-desirable-kind-of-vintage postcards. These look to be from the 1960s, mainly depicting attractions in small towns in British Columbia (example: “THE PEACH BOWL – beautiful new convention center in Penticton, B.C., Canada. Fully air conditioned and overall custom sound system!”). Most of these are astoundingly dull if not outright ugly, and look more than a little ludicrous to modern eyes. They’ll be perfect for a spot of dĂ©tournement in Goody Two Shoes / Chaotic Nonsense and the other more freewheeling RRs on Postcrossing :disguised_face:

While I’ll probably end up re-donating a lot from that last bag, there are enough funny little finds among them to make those 102 cards well worth the three dollars I spent on them :laughing:

Has anyone else had any great finds lately? I’d love to hear your stories!

27 Likes

I love these kind of cards, so you never know when you might find a home for them. I have cards for petrol stations, the Spam museum, town halls, a grain elevator - even an interstate.

6 Likes

It’s great to read that such a find can bring so much joy! And then … you’ll be spreading it around too! :dancer:

1 Like

I honestly think you’d be surprised by the number of people who would find those cards absolutely delightful, really!

6 Likes

Congratulations on your find. I love the hunt for postcard treasures.

3 Likes

I’m counting on using a few of these as niche-interest cards, too. I’m really happy about it. (And if I receive your address in Postcrossing, for sure I’ll look for a fun one for you!)

2 Likes

Actually I do think some of them are quite endearing, in their way. And where they’re not, I can always paste a gigantic kitten or similar looming over the unsuspecting town :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Please send out the”undesirable” cards!
That are the ones that make me curious and tell a story.
Enjoy your found treasure!

4 Likes

Spam museum??? Will wonders never cease! (Googles the Spam Museum gift shop online…)

2 Likes

Link to the Spam Museum.
Link to the Spam Museum’s gift shop.
Link to Monty Python’s Spam sketch.

…I would go to there if I could :slight_smile:

3 Likes

With thanks to @msgforjohn

7 Likes

What a wonderful find, and this quote made me laugh - I can just imagine what they look like. I haven’t been in any secondhand stores since the pandemic, and now I really want to try and find something good!

2 Likes

Example:

Now I am wondering why the General Post Office needed a helicopter field…

11 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. I would probably love them. But I love quirky and vintage and Canadian!

2 Likes

Me too! This has just given me a really good idea.

1 Like

What a great find and a great bargain too! I love receiving vintage cards.

1 Like

I love the vintage cards! If you are interested in swap we can exchange 5:5, just let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a friend who works for the Department of Transportation. They still make cards showing interstate roads, construction zones, and toll booths. I dont have the heart to send these to anyone.

2 Likes

Oh good!

(Please tell us what it is?)

Some of my cards are exactly like that.

To the true connoisseur of the highway works, I am sure it is enthralling, but to me such cards are vastly improved by the addition of a Godzilla or two. Or possibly a gaggle of cartoon ducks.

2 Likes